Thomas Cook Workers-5 weeks pay for each year of service what are these guys thinking

Re: Thomas Cook Workers

RTE have a strong pro-union left wing agenda. That's why they covered it.

LOL, You're a gas man Purple. Next you'll be saying they are all members of the communist party. I suppose it makes a change from people refering to them all as "D4 heads". Thanks for the laugh. :D

LOL, You're a gas man Purple. Next you'll be saying they are all members of the communist party. I suppose it makes a change from people refering to them all as "D4 heads". Thanks for the laugh. :D

They are nowhere near communist but RTE is a heavily unionised semi-state body. You figure it out.

Re: Thomas Cook Workers-5 weeks pay for each year of service what are these guys thin

5 weeks per year of service ? I heard a radio report which just said '5 weeks pay' redundancy and I though how miserly that was and they are right to protest. But protesting over 5 wks per year of service is crazy ! I got 5 wks per year of service for my redundancy and was happy enough with that.

Although, the image of young women being marched away by lots of Gardai, and 2 Gardai standing guard outside a maternity ward while a protester gave birth is in stark contrast to the treatment given to some former bank CEO's and developers defaulting on their bank loans.

I suppose it says a lot about how laws are applied in this country depending on the type of 'crime'.

Re: Thomas Cook Workers-5 weeks pay for each year of service what are these guys thin

I suppose it says a lot about how laws are applied in this country depending on the type of 'crime'.

+1. just saw the picture of the line of gardai in today's indo. a total disgrace in this day and age considering the city is drenched in gangland crime. nice to see where the real priorities of the gardai are.

while i think the redundancy deal wasn't bad per se, i don't have a real problem with them protesting. everyone thinks it's a good deal compared to the statutory redundancy payment, but why hasn't anyone ever challenged this and had it increased over the years? i think it's interesting the way everyone seems to side with big business/corporations when it comes to disputing employees.

i also think it's interesting that some commentators were indignant that these people were breaking the law etc...in my view, rules are made to be broken and from history, if people didn't break the law women wouldn't have the right to vote, we wouldn't be able to buy contraceptives over the counter and we'd all still be under british rule etc etc...

+1. just saw the picture of the line of gardai in today's indo. a total disgrace in this day and age considering the city is drenched in gangland crime. nice to see where the real priorities of the gardai are.

Are you suggesting the guards defy the instructions of the court to have the people arrested?

Are you suggesting the guards defy the instructions of the court to have the people arrested?

i think arresting rapists, drug dealers and murderers should be a higher priority than arresting 8 1/2 month pregnant women.

i think arresting rapists, drug dealers and murderers should be a higher priority than arresting 8 1/2 month pregnant women.

I am sure the Gardai thought so too so why are you having a go at them?

The pregnant woman didn't see the inside of a Garda Station. Not one of the workers had one complaint about how they were treated about the Gardai. By all accounts, they had all had a great laugh.

The pregnant woman didn't see the inside of a Garda Station. Not one of the workers had one complaint about how they were treated about the Gardai. By all accounts, they had all had a great laugh.

i'm not saying anything about the garda behaviour. i'm saying it's a complete waste of valuable resources sending so many garda to deal with this situation when they are badly needed elsewhere to tackle real crime...i wonder how many drug dealers/burglars/boy racers/drink drivers got away last night when all these gardai were caught up with the thomas cook staff?

i'm not saying anything about the garda behaviour. i'm saying it's a complete waste of valuable resources sending so many garda to deal with this situation when they are badly needed elsewhere to tackle real crime...i wonder how many drug dealers/burglars/boy racers/drink drivers got away last night when all these gardai were caught up with the thomas cook staff?

But surely you then blame the workers for being in Contempt of Court. The Guards can't just ignore a High Court Judge when he says bring people before him at 2.30 the next day. I am not sure what you expected the Guards to do.

And this is how it's going to be handled

bottom line is that people respond to incentives, if the incentive to sit in is there (in the form of an enhanced package) it would be hypocritical to slate them for their actions

We always did know that crime pays.

What they were obviously thinking is that Thomas Cook were in a position to pay a larger redundancy package and it appears that they were right !

What they were obviously thinking is that Thomas Cook were in a position to pay a larger redundancy package and it appears that they were right !

Well it depends exactly what you mean by 'in a position to'.

A lot of people - employers or otherwise - can find or afford money to pay whatever but it doesn't mean they should.

I'm not defending the management's attitude at all in this but the package offered was fair IMO. Just a case of 'I'm alright jackism' from the workers as far as I can see.

If some posters are suggesting Court Orders should be ignored then our future looks bleak indeed

The very same posters that would be up in arms if a person ever suggested not paying a debt.

Indeed. I suppose you could compare the actions of RTE in covering this to the actions of those notorious lefties Denis O´Brien and Tony O´Reilly at the Indo, and Geraldine Kennedy at the Times, and the good burghers of the real capital who run the Examiner etc etc. It´s back to the ould ´reds under the beds´ scares of the 60´s.

Thomas Cook made an improved redundancy offer to unions representing the 70 workers last night - result !

Thomas Cook made an improved redundancy offer to unions representing the 70 workers last night - result !

No they didn't. It was the same offer as before. 5 weeks pay per year of service plus the months pay because they decided to close a month early.

Not according to RTE news , details of the improved offer have not been released however it is understood that the firm agreed to add ex gratia payments to staff on top of the original offer of 5 weeks pay per year of service .

Back