Thinking of selling a rental property? You should probably get a move on...

This one of the factors driving these policies. Blatantly political comments under the cover of a University affiliation. Apparently the only landlords leaving the sector are accidential ones.

He does make a fair point about the sale of the rise in rents though which has far outstripped wages. That is the other factor driving political parties such as Labour to suggest things like rent freezes. Many renters just can't cope. The problem is the unintended consequences of the policies.
Hearne is a committed Marxist , a key policy writer for PBP , he even ran for the party in the 2007 election

When people ask me what I work at, I find it hard to explain. In future, I think I will just tell them that I am a public intellectual.

Ahh - so that's why you had that interesting article published in today's Sunday Times, Brendan! :p

Last edited:
I'm wondering how long this Bill will take to go through and how likely it is to succeed due to the fact that the Minister did not oppose it? The element of the bill that I am most concerned about is not being able to sell my property with vacant possession. I had intended to sell in the next two years. Perhaps I should send out the notice of termination now.

I'm wondering how long this Bill will take to go through and how likely it is to succeed due to the fact that the Minister did not oppose it? The element of the bill that I am most concerned about is not being able to sell my property with vacant possession. I had intended to sell in the next two years. Perhaps I should send out the notice of termination now.
Thinking the same

I see the Bill Is
The Tanaiste confirmed today that the Government will not be opposing a Labour Bill that seeks to provide greater security of tenure for tenants.

The Bill will remove the ground which allows a landlord to end a tenancy on the basis that they intend to sell the property within three months.

The Bill also provides that a landlord can only evict for renovations where “no reasonable measures can be taken to maintain the dwelling fit for human habitation”. It also deals with landlords evicting renters to move in their own family member – it would restrict this to just spouses, civil partners or children.

I see the Bill is sponsored by Ivana Bacik

Ivana Must have had a word with Leo in the Merrion Hotel,

(sarenco posted a link on the first post showing it was Ivana Sponsered Bill) Leo confirmed that FF/FG/Greens plus the stack of Independents who support the Government will not be opposing Ivanas Bill
We are now on post no 49, I don't think FF/FG/Greens/labor plus the stack of Independents are getting any blamed very strange, to say the least,

To put it mildly, what are ye so upset about sure ye vote for them,

There is a very good chance the people on about Hearne would have voted for Ivana a few months ago if they were in her constituency;)

Hearne is only having a bit of Malicious fun out of the unfortunates he knowes will never vote for him,

If he comes across this thread he will enjoy reading it,
:(

Last edited:
We have been looking to move for the last couple of months.
Out of all the (maybe 25) houses we have looked at around 80% of them are ex-rentals. I always ask the agent this just out of curiosity.

A couple of them had tenants still in them but under notice and we were assured that they would be out by the time the sale went through. We dont believe this. Tenants dont have to move out if they decide not to on the last day. Too risky, so stayed away from those ones even though one of them would have been perfect..

I think though if I were on the fence about selling my rental property, I would be serving notice right now too. These changes in legislation happen very quickly and you dont want to get stuck with a property you want to sell, but you are not allowed to sell it vacant.

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a property with tenants in it. Unless maybe an investor might. But where are you going to get an investor these days? And what investor is going to buy a place with tenants who wont leave for their previous landlord. Sure sign of trouble ahead.

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a property with tenants in it.
I think that's a bit extreme. I bought a house with sitting tenants in it about a decade ago. They were gone by the time the sale closed.

Money talks and in the scheme of a house sale a few thousand euros to difficult tenants by the vendor will usually see them move on.

That said, if I was a landlord selling up I would make sure the tenants were out before viewings started.

We have been looking to move for the last couple of months.
Out of all the (maybe 25) houses we have looked at around 80% of them are ex-rentals. I always ask the agent this just out of curiosity.

A couple of them had tenants still in them but under notice and we were assured that they wo

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a property with tenants in it. Unless maybe an investor might. But where are you going to get an investor these days? And what investor is going to buy a place with tenants who wont leave for their previous landlord. Sure sign of trouble ahead.
I am a landlord could you please refrain from labeling tenants,
Most people nowadays were tenants before they become homeowners including myself many many years ago,

Last edited:
I am a landlord could you please refrain from labeling tenants,
Most people nowadays were tenants before they become homeowners including myself many many years ago,

I think you take offense to something where there is none meant.
Im not having a go a tenants at all. Im talking about a risk of buying a house with tenants in it who will not be gone when you go to close the sale. I know someone it happened to. The whole chain broke down and they had to start again, unless they wanted to camp in the back garden and wait for the tenants to decide to leave before they could move into their new house. I dont believe the bank would have given them their mortgage anyway if they tried to close without vacant possession.

I think that's a bit extreme. I bought a house with sitting tenants in it about a decade ago. They were gone by the time the sale closed.

Money talks and in the scheme of a house sale a few thousand euros to difficult tenants by the vendor will usually see them move on.

That said, if I was a landlord selling up I would make sure the tenants were out before viewings started.

Would you do it now though given the legislation since you last did it?

I suspect that the last sentence of his post answers that question!

Thats if he was a landlord selling. We were talking about as a buyer would you risk that the tenants wouldnt move out now when overholding is rife, even encouraged by councils and charities.

Thats if he was a landlord selling. We were talking about as a buyer would you risk that the tenants wouldnt move out now when overholding is rife, even encouraged by councils and charities.
you seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Government policy,

Back