Thinking of selling a rental property? You should probably get a move on...

Isn't this already the case since landlords can no longer reset the rent to market rates after the tenants leave?
I speak to a lot of landlords who keep rents below market rates or don't increase it just to keep a good tenant. If large companies become landlords, all renters will find automatic increases each year up to the limit.

I think landlords can increase to market rates if they refurbish the property or do significant works on the property between lettings.

I think landlords can increase to market rates if they refurbish the property or do significant works on the property between lettings.
the criteria to increase rent more than the old 4% method was crazy. You have to add living space by way of an extension, improve the BER rating by 7, so go from a C3 rating to an A2 rating, or else permantly alter the layout of the house. I think from recall you need to do two of the three.

I believe it's the same for the new inflation linked rental increase method.

the criteria to increase rent more than the old 4% method was crazy. You have to add living space by way of an extension, improve the BER rating by 7, so go from a C3 rating to an A2 rating, or else permantly alter the layout of the house. I think from recall you need to do two of the three.

I believe it's the same for the new inflation linked rental increase method.
the new inflation linked increases don't seem to have the same criteria, just every two years in line with inflation.

The inability of this govt to solve the housing crises will be the nail in their coffin and will see SF coming into power. The thing is, I can't see them solving it quickly either. You can't just throw up houses. And with increased regulation and BER requirements, they won't be done cheaply.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

I speak to a lot of landlords who keep rents below market rates or don't increase it just to keep a good tenant. If large companies become landlords, all renters will find automatic increases each year up to the limit.

Is there anything more than anecdote to support this idea that small-scale landlords are more tenant friendly than institutional landlords? In my renting days, I always found it easier to work with a proper letting agent than the actual landlord, in terms of service and rent levels. Those were the days before the institutional landlords, mind you.

Is there anything more than anecdote to support this idea that small-scale landlords are more tenant friendly than institutional landlords? In my renting days, I always found it easier to work with a proper letting agent than the actual landlord, in terms of service and rent levels. Those were the days before the institutional landlords, mind you.
What makes you assume that the owner of the rental property was not a small-scale landlord? Just because you were dealing with a letting agent doesn't mean that the were not employed by a small-scale landlord to take care of their property.

What makes you assume that the owner of the rental property was not a small-scale landlord? Just because you were dealing with a letting agent doesn't mean that the were not employed by a small-scale landlord to take care of their property.
I was making the point that, as a tenant, I had better experiences dealing with a professional agent than dealing direct with a landlord. I don't think we had too many institutional landlords in those days, so it's possibly difficult to compare.

I was really just asking if there is any research to support the position that tenants do better with small scale landlords than with institutions.

I was making the point that, as a tenant, I had better experiences dealing with a professional agent than dealing direct with a landlord. I don't think we had too many institutional landlords in those days, so it's possibly difficult to compare.

I was really just asking if there is any research to support the position that tenants do better with small scale landlords than with institutions.
I see. I would imagine that it varies. Of all the landlords I had the only one who didn't do anything was the one with multiple properties but I suppose everyone's experience would be different.

I see. I would imagine that it varies. Of all the landlords I had the only one who didn't do anything was the one with multiple properties but I suppose everyone's experience would be different.
I am a landlord with 2 properties I manage them myself, I always try and avoid tenants who have been shortchanged by former landlords,
I hate to admit it getting a tenant to trust a landlord after been shortchanged is no easy task,

Last edited:
I know it will get no sympathy, but this is the final nail in the coffin for trying to grow your wealth in Ireland.

Between deemed disposal for shares and now this law for rental properties, how exactly is anyone supposed to grow their wealth in Ireland?

I know it will get no sympathy, but this is the final nail in the coffin for trying to grow your wealth in Ireland.

Between deemed disposal for shares and now this law for rental properties, how exactly is anyone supposed to grow their wealth in Ireland?
Its v short sighted. There has to be a rent freeze I think. Even though that'll drive more out.

All that's going to be left is corporate landlords. And they will max the rent all day long. They could sell properties with lower rents and buying newer properties.

Long term the consequences of this in renters is going go be bad bad news.

If you want to grow wealth In Ireland Work under the wings of one of the many lobby groups with an ear to influence Governments policies you will be fine,

This one of the factors driving these policies. Blatantly political comments under the cover of a University affiliation. Apparently the only landlords leaving the sector are accidential ones.

He does make a fair point about the sale of the rise in rents though which has far outstripped wages. That is the other factor driving political parties such as Labour to suggest things like rent freezes. Many renters just can't cope. The problem is the unintended consequences of the policies.

Last edited:

This one of the factors driving these policies. Blatantly political comments under the cover of a University affiliation. Apparently the only landlords leaving the sector are accidential ones.

His articles have also appeared recently in the Irish Examiner without any reference to his background as an unsuccessful PbP candidate in Dail and Seanad elections.

I have completed my Notice of Termination (Landlord intends to sell the Dwelling). I am now preparing to complete the Statutory Declaration for Landlord intending to sell the dwelling.
I have arrived at the area of the form where my practicing solicitor has to sign that I made the declaration before him. Can I delete all the other options?.
What do I have to fill in in the space provided (person authorised by {insert authorising statutory provision }..........................................................
to take and receive statutory declarations } by.
That is what is written on the sample form provided by RTB. I am just in fear that they will find some minor excuse to reject it.
I would appreciate any opinions or help

He is also a regular on RTE without his hard-left political history ever being mentioned.

But surely that is less important than the fact that he is a "public intellectual". ;)

I am also a public intellectual and regularly contribute to discussion of contemporary social, economic and political issues on national media such as RTE's Late Debate, RTE Brainstorm, the Irish Times, Newstalk Radio and contribute to public events dealing with these issues.

When people ask me what I work at, I find it hard to explain. In future, I think I will just tell them that I am a public intellectual.

I would appreciate any opinions or help
I would just reproduce the template wording - the solicitor can strike out the wording that is not applicable.

Don’t forget to file a Notice of Termination Return Form with the RTB within one month of the termination of the tenancy.

His articles have also appeared recently in the Irish Examiner without any reference to his background as an unsuccessful PbP candidate in Dail and Seanad elections.
Don't worry about the people who never got elected at least we know where he stands when he went for election,

Begin to worry about the people who went for election and never declared their true left-wing leanings

How else can you explain Ireland never having elected a Government of Parties of the left-wing Yet we have the highest debt per head in the EU this year, Our Debt per head is almost E20000 over EU average,

As I said present/future taxation Issues along with Government policies need to be considered very carefully before Becoming a landlord in Ireland,

Never forget Tenants don't make laws Governments do, If the regulations between Landlord and Tenant favor the tenants there is a good chance you vote left-wing but don't realize it yet,

Last edited:
Back