Thinking of going to IKEA in the UK

brian.mobile

Hi all,

Were thinking of heading over to a UK IKEA store. Stuff looks fab on the website. Just wondering:

1) Whats the handiest store to get from ireland (Cork)
2) Is it all flat pack stuff?
3) Will I get stung by customs on the return?
4) Should I bovver at all???!

BM

Hi Brian,

We have had many previous threads on IKEA and they might provide some useful info.

AFAIK the company mentioned in the key post who used to ship stuff back from IKEA have gone out of business.

brian.mobile said:
Hi all,

Were thinking of heading over to a UK IKEA store. Stuff looks fab on the website. Just wondering:

1) Whats the handiest store to get from ireland (Cork)
2) Is it all flat pack stuff?
3) Will I get stung by customs on the return?
4) Should I bovver at all???!

BM

It is all flat pack. We considered it for a kitchen. Then I talked to a carpenter who was assembling an IKEA kitchen. He gave it the thumbs down. If you're missing even one bit which happens often it'll cost you to get it. B&Q here is also flat pack and about the same price.

Dont buy anything in a flat pack unless you check it before you leave the store. You nearly always find some piece missing and its a long way to go back. We used to buy from MFI and it was just very annoying to get home and start to assemble the wardrobe/ chest of drawers, only to find screws or maybe even a piece was missing. This would mean having to going back to the store.They might not have the piece there so you would have to wait for it to come in.

I believe there is an IKEA in Scotland and people go across from Larne. The only other one I know is on the North Circular Road at Neasden NW London.

I had to furnish an entire house from scratch last year so flew over to Prestwick with Ryanair, then took the (regular) train into Glasgow, then a short taxi to Ikea. The warehouse is huge and packed with people so it's best to have a list of the main things you want. You just get the flat-packs that you want off the shelves, put them on big trolleys, and pay for them at the checkout. Ikea then sets your trolleys aside and ships the stuff over (that cost me about £150) 3 or 4 weeks later. I had to assemble the stuff all on my own-e-o, which took about two days in total and....surprise....there were no missing parts at all. The couches are obviously not flat-packs though! I found it brill and will do it again this year for another house. Got everything for about a third of the price that I would have here, and nothing has fallen apart yet...

There is an IKEA in Bristol.

Hell of a drive from Cork, though.

Did it once - drove to Rosslare into Pembroke and then drove to Bristol.

There is an Ikea in Cardiff.....handy for the ferry. Bought loads of stff from ikea..never had a part missing

hello,
Is it better to fly to Glasgow with Aer Lingus and ship it back or take a van on the ferry? I need to do a whole house, so could I get it all done in one day or would I need two? cheers :eek:)

I did a very similar thing to Nancy - flew to glasgow and got it all delivered. ended up paying about €400 on delivery, but cos we bought 5 grand of stuff it was still a major saving. couches were made to order and delivered 4 weeks later, rest of gear was delivered in 7 days.

havent opened it all yet cos waiting for extension to complete for some of it, but delighted with everything we've done so far. not a piece missing and instructions top class - anyone with a decent diy background should not have a problem with any of it.

joanmul - what are the chances that your carpenter has never actually fitted an ikea kitchen and is just warning you off something he knows nothing about? I'm getting my kitchen through a contact here, but if I wasn't it would defo be Ikea cos we were totally amazed with what we saw over there. Agree on B&Q kitchens though, from experience I can say they are poor quality.

If you are planning on getting loads of gear, defo allow 2 days - one for going round picking stuff out, couple of hours the next morning for going round the warehouse and picking it out. this will give you time to mull over your decisions that night, as it can be hectic getting around the place.

If you have the option of bringing a van over on the ferry and going to an Ikea in Wales I'd say this would be the best way of doing it.

From RTE website today: Belfast store to be open in December, might save on ferry fares!

IKEA Dublin store will employ 500

January 26, 2006 12:04
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Furniture store group IKEA has announced further details of its plans to open stores in Dublin and Belfast.
Subject to planning permission, the company said up to 500 new jobs would be provided in Ballymun, with half of these for local people.
The Dublin store will cover 30,500 square metres over two floors, and will have 1,500 car spaces. The store will also include a number of other facilities including a 500-seater restaurant, a bistro, a café and a Swedish Food Hall as well as a crèche.
ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000;document.write(''); on error resume next ShockMode = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))[broken link removed][broken link removed]
The Belfast store, close to Belfast City Airport, will measure 25,800 square metres and will employ 400 people. IKEA aims to open the Belfast store in late December this year.
[/FONT]

pernickety said:
Belfast store to be open in December[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

I saw Peter Robinson on the BBC News yesterday looking for the IKEA application to be expressed through the NI planning process, so I wouldn't rely on that one being open this year.

As for the one in Ballymun ? I assume it's passage through the planning & appeal processes will be keeping the legal profession busy for the next few years.

Just wondering if you pick out stuff on your day one in Ikea can they hold it until the next day when you pick out the rest of your stuff? Like I mean if you were to get all your bedroom stuff on a saturday and get them to hold it, stay over, come back on a Sunday and get all your kitchen/dining stuff could they ship it all together?

Is it only Glasgow that deliver? And also is it £100 quid for the first one and 50 for every subsequent crate thing? Anyone know how much the ferry is - sorry I'm a pain!

We went to the IKEA in Warrington a few weeks ago. We went by ferry from Dublin to Holyhead (99euro for a day return with Irish Ferries for car plus two people - their website mentions this offer [broken link removed] but you'll get better info by ringing them). It was a 2 hour drive from Holyhead to the IKEA - you will find one set of driving directions on the IKEA website, another on the AA website. We took a route which brought us on the motorways around Warrington rather than through the town centre, but I can't remember which of the two sites gives those directions. Getting to Warrington was straight-forward enough, finding the IKEA itself was a little trickier.

We asked about delivery, at IKEA, and they told us that IKEA do not do deliveries. They couldn't speak for the other IKEA branches, but they suggested that those IKEAs probably don't do deliveries either. If that is the case then you'll have to find a third party who can do the delivery for you.

One thing to note about the Warrington IKEA is that they keep some of their bulkier stock in a different warehouse. I don't know how far this warehouse is from the store that we were in, but you'd obviously have to allow time to get to it if you were buying large stuff.

We bought alot of stuff from the Warrington Ikea a year back,simply did a day trip from Dublin and took along my van, everything is as cheap as peas, but a good quality for the prices you pay. Its difficult to resist all the little nick nacks throughout the huge store for the odd couple of quid. The experience itself is an intresting one to say the least.

I have done many Ikea trips over the last 5 yrs. From Holyhead, the nearest is in Warrington. But Birmingham one is the easiest to find as its just of the M6.

I have never had any issues with the stuff. Lighting and delf is particular good value.

Need to be careful that you are really saving money, as the ferry, food, fuel etc all add up. The exchange rate doesnt help either.

Had my first IKEA experience in Toulouse lately. Planned to buy lots of little things: kitchen equipment, throws, cushions, curtains etc. etc. Also planned to examine the range of kitchens and bathrooms for next visit. In 3 hours I really only picked up the smaller things and didn't even look att he kitchens/bathrooms really (had a lunch though as it is hard work). Came out very satisfied but with a splitting headache. It really is an amazing shop but I would guess you need a couple of visits to do it justice.

I ordered from the Edinburgh store. You can email them your list of items that you want to buy and they will pick them out for you and arrange to deliver them over. The items were sent to us in about 2/3 weeks from date of order. I think it cost £190 sterling for delivery. Really happy with all our furniture.

Back