Thinking of going to IKEA in the UK

positivity24 said:
Just wondering if you pick out stuff on your day one in Ikea can they hold it until the next day when you pick out the rest of your stuff? Like I mean if you were to get all your bedroom stuff on a saturday and get them to hold it, stay over, come back on a Sunday and get all your kitchen/dining stuff could they ship it all together?

They have large lockers that you can fit a trolley in, just outside the store in Glasgow, so you could leave it all in there and come back the next day. The way it works though is you go through the showrooms sections, pick out what you want, in many cases you have to order it as it has to be picked from staff only area. you pay for it with the piece of paper they give you and it'll be waiting for you when you get through the tills. it doesnt make sense to punish yourself with two trips round the massive warehouse - better pick out all your gear on day one. think about it overnight, and then just hit the warehouse on day two.

Hi

Does anyone know if you have to pay extra VAT if you have it delivered to Ireland? Or is the UK VAT deducted and the Irish VAT added?

AFAIK, once VAT is paid in a Eurozone country, the goods can then be moved around without incurring further VAT.
VAT liability only kicks in if the goods are coming in from outside the EU.
So you would pay VAT at the UK rate, i.e. 17.5% - as opposed to Ireland's 21% rate.

Ah, UK is in the EU, but not the euro-zone, i. e. they still have their currency. Any implications?

Sorry - I meant to say EU, not Eurozone! So (AFAIK) no VAT implications once VAT has been paid in EU country of origin. The relevant revenue pages should give you a definitive answer:-
[broken link removed]

Oh Pinchy........what did you find bad with B&Q kitchens? I have one on order and am struggling to find a fitter, do you know of any? I've spent €5k on it so I hope it works out!!

As far as I know the only Ikea store in the UK who deliver to the Republic is Ikea in Glasgow.

We did the overnighter from Dublin Port to Liverpool and onto Warrington - never again! Awful lot of hanging around with nothing to do (once we'd finished in Ikea). If we ever do it again, we'd do the Irish Ferries route (same day over and back) as the amount of stuff you can get there and the prices of everything make it well worth the trip. We (obviously) brought the car as we'd decided that we wouldn't get any of the really big furniture over there - I had originally thought of getting our couches there but didn't like the look of them quality-wise once I saw them for real so we were happy enough to stock the car up with bedside lockers, a bookshelf, mirrors, stuff for the bathroom & kitchen, blinds etc. All good ; )

Ikea will deliver to your home from the UK, it costs £190. We have added the details to news section on Furniture.ie.

Thanks,
Richard

edinburgh deliver
[broken link removed]
Service

New Edinburgh to Ireland service!

Stay seated and have everything delivered to your door.

First, browse through our products on this website, make your selection, then place your order by phone or email. A member of the Business 2 Business team will give you a tailored quotation which will include delivery details.

e-mail: [email protected]
phone: 00 44 131 440 6625
fax: 00 44 131 440 6717
(available mon - fri, 9am - 5.30pm)

This service is exclusive to IKEA Edinburgh only

We contacted Ikea Warrington who told us that they use an independent co. called F&H transport for their home delivery service who deliver to Ireland. We rang them (Chris/Ian on 00448712003429) and they quoted us £100stg (as opposed to £195 in Ikea Glasgow for 2 trolleys). We went n got 2 trolleys (packed!!) delivered the following week - worked out great!

Hi there,

It seems it is no longer workable to travel by ferry to Ikea Warrington (Dublin-Holyhead) as the sailings don't leave till after 8, you don't get there till 11 and by the time you get to Ikea it is one oclock. You must then leave after 1 hour, at two o'clock in order to be back for the 'late' ferry at 4pm?

Have I missed something or are Stena Line or Irish Ferries running any early over and late back services?

I ordered from Ikea Edinburgh recently to furnish my one bedroom apartment. The bill came to 3000 euros, including delivery. I thought that was very good value, seeing that other friends bought more expensive items in Ireland but still had to put them together...

One thing I'd like to mention - the office in Edinburgh do seem overworked and understaffed. It took them three weeks to get to my order. Then they sent the wrong slats for my bed - twice. However, I don't regret buying from them. The bed, tables, desks, chairs, storage etc look great. No-one guesses it's from Ikea. And they all ask for the catalogue to take home. ;)

Hi there, we flew to Liverpool n got a taxi to Ikea Warrington (£20 return)

Back