The Search for Speed

roker

Eir was giving me 2.5 Mbps and could not seem to fix it. So I terminated my contract and did away with wires and went with Imagin.
When they fitted in a few months ago the speed was 26 Mbps which suited me fine.
A few month later today it is down to 5.4 Mbps. Are these companies having us on, when they get you reeled in and then slow the system down when past the cooling off period and are stuck into a contract. I just noted on the contract that they're allowed to go down to 2Mbps, so I am stuck with a 18 month contract
Which is the best company for regular speed.

Which is the best company for regular speed.
Possibly Virgin Media because they have their own separate network that the others don't share. But fibre to the home from one of the other providers should be comparable. However not all options are available to all customers. E.g. I'm 3km from Dublin city centre and still can't get fibre (even to the cabinet) so VM is the only option for fast broadband.

I was getting 26Mbps when first installed which was OK for me
Yes, but as your finding, wireless broadband is of variable speed and quality. But aren't you stuck with it for the remainder of the 18 month contract minimum period, unless you cancel earlier and pay any penalty due, or get a second broadband service in parallel?

I had fibre to the cabinet with Eir but was still down to 2.5 Mbps which they could not fix.
Could Comreg do anything

How far are you from the cabinet?

We are about 400m and still get 75 Mbps download

are you wired to the router or are these wireless speeds you are reporting?
The speed test is through my router to the PC but this cannot be the fault because it is OK sometimes, if there was a fault in my system it would be faulty all of the time not occasionally

Last edited:
That is through my router to the PC but this cannot be the fault because it is OK sometimesthere there was a fault it in my system it would be faulty all of the time
You might want to clarify that post as it doesn't make much sense.

are you wired to the router or are these wireless speeds you are reporting?
Using wifi as a means of testing internet connection speeds isn't the issue it once was where wifi performance was usually the limiting factor. For example I'm getting 1.2 Gbps on my phone-wifi connection now, and speed tests from my phone and wired connection give the same 250 Mbps.

Using wifi as a means of testing internet connection speeds isn't the issue it once was where wifi performance was usually the limiting factor.
It still is if your wifi max theoretical speed is lower than your broadband max theoretical speed, which will still be a very common case for many people.

Using wifi as a means of testing internet connection speeds isn't the issue it once was where wifi performance was usually the limiting factor. For example I'm getting 1.2 Gbps on my phone-wifi connection now, and speed tests from my phone and wired connection give the same 250 Mbps.
i disagree, and i don't follow your second sentence, you are getting 1.2gbs per on your phone wifi ? and then you say your phone and wired connection give 250?

in a lot of cases people are connected to a 2.4ghz wifi connection as they just use whatever out of the box config they get and they dont get why the advertised 1gbp internet connection is translating to a 150-200 mb wifi speed.

i disagree, and i don't follow your second sentence, you are getting 1.2gbs per on your phone wifi ? and then you say your phone and wired connection give 250?
The connection speed from my phone to the wireless access point is 1.2 Gbps. The connection from my phone, through the access point, router and all the various network hops to the server Ookla chose to run the speed test to reports a speed of ~250 Mbps. All speed tests are limited by the weakest, or slowest link in that entire chain. As is clear from the connection speeds I'm getting, my wifi is far from the slowest point to point connection, and so is not in any way limiting the overall speed test results.

in a lot of cases people are connected to a 2.4ghz wifi connection as they just use whatever out of the box config they get and they dont get why the advertised 1gbp internet connection is translating to a 150-200 mb wifi speed.
How many people are using 13+ year old phones that just support 2.4GHz?

The connection speed from my phone to the wireless access point is 1.2 Gbps. The connection from my phone, through the access point, router and all the various network hops to the server Ookla chose to run the speed test to reports a speed of ~250 Mbps. All speed tests are limited by the weakest, or slowest link in that entire chain. As is clear from the connection speeds I'm getting, my wifi is far from the slowest point to point connection, and so is not in any way limiting the overall speed test results.

How many people are using 13+ year old phones that just support 2.4GHz?
What speed are you paying for? If its a 250mb connection and you are getting the full 250mb on your phone then its properly configured and you are close to the router, if its a 500mb or 1gb connection its a different story and the only way to test the actual speed being provided to you is test the wired speeds.

Who said people were using 13 year old phones that support 2.4ghz? you arent understanding my post, im talking about what the router is doing not the phone.

When you speed test your internet connection, the results depend on the limitations and speed of
1. the machine you use (PC, phone, laptop, tablet,...)
2. the type of connection to the router (wired, wifi, bluetooth)
3. the performance of the router
4. the performance of the line or wireless connection to your internet provider

Your provider is only responsable for the last of these - well, possibly for the router too

Back