The perfect example of why this country is in a mess?

RMCF

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sutherland-on-euro50000-pension-but-calls-for-cuts-2893656.htmlhttp://www.independent.ie/national-news/sutherland-on-euro50000-pension-but-calls-for-cuts-2893656.html (Sutherland on €50,000 pension but calls for cuts) http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sutherland-on-euro50000-pension-but-calls-for-cuts-2893656.html (http://www.independent.ie)

A man worth €80mill who calls for tougher austerity measures, yet he still claims €52k annually in state pension.

Double standards of the elite?

Are they all looking after each other while the little man suffers and pays for everything?

More sensationalist crap. He isn't "claiming" anything. He is being paid his entitlements under the existing rules.

What does his net worth have to do with it?

More sensationalist crap. He isn't "claiming" anything. He is being paid his entitlements under the existing rules.

I agree. Should rich people not get paid the same as the rest of us for state jobs?

If the Chairman of Goldman Sachs is so concerned about pushing further austerity measures on the middle classes here in Ireland then yes he should hand back this money,otherwise perhaps he should stop running his big mouth.

I am sick and tired of being preached to about austerity from insiders like this fella.

You serious?

If you were worth €80mill would you draw attention and flak on to yourself by claiming an extra €50k each year whilst you're prattling on about how there should be more cutbacks?

Callybags is correct.
Its a disgrace to see well paid persons being able to draw a salary before either they retire or hit 65.

Its the existing rules that have to change, but "Suds" Sutherland beating the Austerity Drum is a hard act to stomach.
His company has been in the thick of the financial merde flying around and needs very close examination and monitoring IMO.

As far as I'm concerned multiple income streams from state sources based on pension payments should be outlawed as should all bonuses.
Its a widely touted mantra in management and HR circles that more pay doesn't produce more or better work - let's hoist them on their own petard.

No pensions before 65
No bonuses during a recession.
No bonus payments at all unless we see real results.

my understanding is , dont be sillly, all the other buggers are scrrewing us while preaching about austerity so why cant I, eg NOONAN i'll give it to charity etc
US
we can safely deduce that our elected reps will do everything to line their own pockets and continue to preach otherwise

@onq

From reading Callybags post I would say they were defending Mr Sutherland.

I'm not defending anyone.

The OP seems to me to be begrudging.

I repeat my question. What does his net worth have to do with it?

You serious?

If you were worth €80mill would you draw attention and flak on to yourself by claiming an extra €50k each year whilst you're prattling on about how there should be more cutbacks?

+1. Not to mention the contribution of his own company to the mess we're in. Wasn't it them that advised the Greek gov't on its application to join the Euro? It's a bit rich to be lecturing others on cut-backs whilst taking money he doesn't need from the state. This smacks of the Bono school of morals, do as I say, but not as I do. Taxes are for little people.

I'm not defending anyone.

The OP seems to me to be begrudging.

I repeat my question. What does his net worth have to do with it?

If you are going to pontificate to others about how they should take harsher cuts, and you are claiming €50k per year of a state pension, then I think that your net worth is very important, especially if its €80million.

If you think thats not important then that your point of view. But I think you will find most people, if asked, would take my side of the argument.

If a retired civil servant wins the Lotto should their pension then be stopped?

If you think thats not important then that your point of view. But I think you will find most people, if asked, would take my side of the argument.
I wouldn't.

Is he entitled to express his view? Yes

Is he entitled to his pension? Yes

He is not saying anything different to what many other people are saying. The system that allows him to claim this pension is what is wrong. Thats not his fault. There are wealthy or well off people claiming childrens allowance every week while calling for the dole to be cut by a large amount. However, mention cutting child benefit and there would be uproar. Same goes with the State Pension.

One of the joys of living in a free democracy is that people have a constitutional right to express their views. If you don't like that, tough. You may not agree with what he is saying but you should never criticise his right to say it, there are enough people around the world that don't have the right of freedome of expression.

I've no arguement that much of the pension entitlements and arrangements are wrong, but there are plenty of people on private sector pensions who took redundancy packages and are able to draw their pension before they are 65

He might be entitled to the pension but wouldn't it be refreshing if he gave his views on austerity and then added "Although I am entitled to a pension from the state, I don't feel I should take it while the nation's finances are in such a bad way". It might be a drop in the ocean but at least it would be a gesture.

He might be entitled to the pension but wouldn't it be refreshing if he gave his views on austerity and then added "Although I am entitled to a pension from the state, I don't feel I should take it while the nation's finances are in such a bad way". It might be a drop in the ocean but at least it would be a gesture.

Imagine if all stated employees with a few bob behind them did the same thing. Maybe rich people should be barred from state jobs (unless they are willing to do them for free). The last thing this country needs it people who are vastly successful working for the state or offering advice.
Why not have a requirement that all members of state boards not have a pot to pee in?

The issue of under 65’s getting any state pension is a reasonable one to question but the net worth of the recipient is utterly irrelevant.

Back