The Moriarty Bombshell-what will happen next?

They can still sue. Persona (one of the other consortia) is in the Supreme Court at the moment.

Yes, they will sue the state so the net result will be a €150'000'000 bill for the tribunal plus whatever setlement these "persona" manage to get.

What a result! :rolleyes:

Lowry and O'Brien have been peppering the airwaves with denials etc. Can the Judge respond to any of this?
I don't think it would make sense at all for the judge to be playing the media game. He's written his report, and let him live or die based on what's in the report.
I wonder did S Carey have her legal costs paid by the taxpayers, shame she didnt claify this in her article.It would be comical if the taxpayer had to foot the bill given that she admitted lying to the tribunal..
I don't think anyone has got their costs yet, afaik.

I don't think it would make sense at all for the judge to be playing the media game. He's written his report, and let him live or die based on what's in the report.
I think the accusation is that he felt out the bits that ddin't agree with his views and that seems to have some basis.

I see your point Complainer. I suppose what bugs me about this whole thing is the level of personal invective directed towards him. He has a reputation for fairness and it seems this is being challenged and rubbished. Having thought about it a bit, I asked myself the question who would I believe in this instance? The precise and detailed words of a High Court Judge or a disgraced politician and a wealthy businessman who benefitted to the tune of millions from this transaction? Well the answer is obvious. I see a report in the Sindo that says the vast majority od people beleive the Judge. What now bugs me is that probably nothing will happen as a result of the report.

I see your point Complainer. I suppose what bugs me about this whole thing is the level of personal invective directed towards him. He has a reputation for fairness and it seems this is being challenged and rubbished. Having thought about it a bit, I asked myself the question who would I believe in this instance? The precise and detailed words of a High Court Judge or a disgraced politician and a wealthy businessman who benefitted to the tune of millions from this transaction? Well the answer is obvious. I see a report in the Sindo that says the vast majority od people beleive the Judge. What now bugs me is that probably nothing will happen as a result of the report.

On balance I believe the judge as well, mainly because while I now have little respect for him I never had any for Lowry or O'Brien.
The level of personal invective within the report, the dismissal of vast tracts of evidence by people who didn't agree with his findings, (and the implied reputational damage to the people who gave that evidence), is disturbing.

All that can be said is that 14 years and €150 million of tax payers’ money later the only winners are the judges mates from the law library who helped kept the show on the road for so long.

Remember that the delay in getting evidence from the Danish telecoms consultant Michael Andersen added almost a year to the Tribunal, along with the associated costs. The fact that his story tallied with the 17 civil servants who gave evidence, i.e. nothing improper happened, meant that Moriarty ignored it.

Just because people don’t like the two main players here does mean that the gaping holes in the report should be brushed over.

I haven't read the full report Purple, but I heard Moore McDowell (yesterday on Newstalk) make the point about the Judge's invective too. So fair enough. I assume the Judge had a reason to discount some of the evidence, I just don't know why, and I wonder if anyone apart from a few will bother to find out. As a by the by, Moore mentioned that he felt the whole tendering process was destined to result in all of this mess because of how it was set up.

As a by the by, Moore mentioned that he felt the whole tendering process was destined to result in all of this mess because of how it was set up.

Yes, the previous government set it up as a bidding competition with minimum requirements, i.e. as long as they can deliver XY & Z then it's down to who offers the most money.
When FG/Labour got in they changed it to the so-called beauty contest.

Yes, the previous government set it up as a bidding competition with minimum requirements, i.e. as long as they can deliver XY & Z then it's down to who offers the most money.
When FG/Labour got in they changed it to the so-called beauty contest.

Colm McCarthy is speaking on this very point on Marian Finucane at the minute. Very interesting.

So fair enough. I assume the Judge had a reason to discount some of the evidence,

It is his job to discount some of the evidence. He has heard conflicting, contradictory evidence every day of his working life. It is his job to decide who is telling the truth.

Ok I'm going to try and read the executive summary at least. I want to know what the judge actually said, so I understand it a bit more. Up to now it's ll been based on media reports. Pity in a way the judge cannot be quesitoned on his findings in public, we would certainly understand his thinking on it better. I don't think he should be immune from a robust critique, but there are probably good defences to some of the attacks on him.

It is his job to discount some of the evidence. He has heard conflicting, contradictory evidence every day of his working life. It is his job to decide who is telling the truth.

No, every other day of his working life that's the jury's job. His job is to ensure the law is followed.
When he instructs a jury to disregard evidence he has to give a reason that's based in law. In this case he hasn't done that.

Wasn't Moriarty Sherlock Holmes' nemesis or was it the other way round? Can you see Lowry in a deerstalker and a pipe trying to ferret out the error of Moriarty's ways? A 63 minute spitting viper speech to the Dail hardly counts as elementary my dear boy. And by the way, who is Watson? Enda? If the Dail en masse, vote censure against Lowry, can he survive?

Wasn't Moriarty Sherlock Holmes' nemesis or was it the other way round? Can you see Lowry in a deerstalker and a pipe trying to ferret out the error of Moriarty's ways? A 63 minute spitting viper speech to the Dail hardly counts as elementary my dear boy. And by the way, who is Watson? Enda? If the Dail en masse, vote censure against Lowry, can he survive?

He was a professor, not a judge :D

Back