The Moriarty Bombshell-what will happen next?

Interesting one. Have time for Sarah Carey but caught her on Prime Time last night and I have to say I was very disappointed with her attitude.

She admitted lying to the Tribunal and also cast doubts over Moriarty's report. Nice!

She admitted lying to the Tribunal and also cast doubts over Moriarty's report. Nice!

Liaconn, not only did she admit to lying on national television, but she smiled and i heard a small laugh at the same time. Unreal !!

Hopefully the Gardai will commence an investigation into this. Allegations are now out in the public domain of corruption and the Tribunal has shown them where to find the evidence.

The Minister for Communications (Pat Rabbitte) is to hand over the report to the Gardai and the DPP. We havnt heard the last of this yet.

It was her 'everyone was leaking' line and the little laugh that really annoyed me. Next time she climbs up on her high horse in the Irish Times, I hope someone pulls her up on it.

The Minister for Communications (Pat Rabbitte) is to hand over the report to the Gardai and the DPP. We havnt heard the last of this yet.

Oh I think we have! The DPP is a black hole for investigations like this. Too complicated and to be fair, the evidence is pretty weak for a Court of Law from what I read.

Interesting one. Have time for Sarah Carey but caught her on Prime Time last night and I have to say I was very disappointed with her attitude.

+1
I thought journalists were supposed to be unbiased, but she certainly didn't come accross as that last night.

Liaconn, not only did she admit to lying on national television, but she smiled and i heard a small laugh at the same time. Unreal !!

You're right. Sam Smyth was looking at her as if he was wondering what planet she came from.

Isn’t it the case the evidence gathered by a Tribunal cannot be used in a criminal proceeding?

As for raising €1 billion and costing €500 million, that tells us that if the office of the Revenue Commissioner, the Office of corporate enforcement and the police were able to do their job we’d be up by a few hundred million more. What a bunch of incompetents we have at every level running this country. The politicians can’t do their job, the police can’ do their job and the statutory regulators can’t do their job.

I don’t like Denis O’Brien but I have no respect at all for the eminent Justice who was the ring-master of the half billion dog and pony show. I get a strong impression that he got very personally involved, i.e. emotional and angry, and also that he’s very defensive about the overall cost. If his report stated that nothing much happened he’d be slammed.

Isn’t it the case the evidence gathered by a Tribunal cannot be used in a criminal proceeding?

As for raising €1 billion and costing €500 million, that tells us that if the office of the Revenue Commissioner, the Office of corporate enforcement and the police were able to do their job we’d be up by a few hundred million more. What a bunch of incompetents we have at every level running this country. The politicians can’t do their job, the police can’ do their job and the statutory regulators can’t do their job.

I don’t like Denis O’Brien but I have no respect at all for the eminent Justice who was the ring-master of the half billion dog and pony show. I get a strong impression that he got very personally involved, i.e. emotional and angry, and also that he’s very defensive about the overall cost. If his report stated that nothing much happened he’d be slammed.

* Moriarty Tribunal cost €150m.

* Office of Director of Corporate Enforcement was only established in 2001.

Also, remember who has been at the centre of all these tribunals... Big Business and a select few dodgy politicans. You cannot say that those at every level running the country are 'incompetents' when it is Big Business who are trying to avoid paying tax, hiding money in off shore accounts, trying to swing decisions in their favour and profit being their number one goal, so what about legislation or compliance with regulations and the law.

Also, remember who has been at the centre of all these tribunals... Big Business and a select few dodgy politicans. You cannot say that those at every level running the country are 'incompetents' when it is Big Business who are trying to avoid paying tax, hiding money in off shore accounts, trying to swing decisions in their favour and profit being their number one goal, so what about legislation or compliance with regulations and the law.

True, but what we can see is just how far the corruption and want to be close to power spread. Now we know the high horse media was involved too. For example did anyone catch the Indo's indepth analysis yesterday as the report broke? Me neither, because they just had a couple of paragraphs from the AP. Wonder why they never thought it newsworthy.

An excellent post.

A huge + 1

When it comes to Tribunals The Irish Times is a law on to itself. It has destroyed documents wanted by the Tribunals and now Carey admits lying.
And they got rid of Kevin Myers for what!!!!

what about legislation or compliance with regulations and the law?

Over the last 15 years we’ve seen repeated cases of political corruption, a banking sector which was in cahoots with the property developers who, by any reasonable standard, were trading recklessly.
It seems that our politicians can’t govern or legislate, our Civil Service is incapable of framing legislation even if asked, our police can’t investigate white collar crime (hence the formation of the office of corporate enforcement), our last financial regulator can’t read a balance sheet (he saw that Anglo was massively over exposed to a small group of people in one sector and was massively over leveraged but gave them the thumbs-up year after year) and DPP can’t build a case.
If that doesn’t show systemic incompetence then I don’t know what would.

The solution is to allow Common Law criminal proceedings. If the jury believes that what the person did was a crime, then it is.

What's really disturbing in all of this, is the attack on the Judge himself. This is not to say that he couldn't be wrong, getting personal or whatever. But the level of invective directed towards him makes me wonder.

You have to wonder at the people that will vote these thieves in time after time.

Sure didn't he get us a new village with the free extension.

The Irish people have a lot to answer for here.

I wonder will the Irish Times get rid of Sarah Carey after this.

Always a nice job for her at the Indo after her loyal performance

Doubt it. I have to say that for 14 years and apparently €150 million, one has to ask what was the bloody point? Only in this Country could we have a tribunal on this subject go on this long and make lawyers rich. What did we learn that we didn't already know. We already knew Lowry was corrupt.

Let's not forget that a large part of the cost was down to the repeated, evasive actions taken by Lowry, O'Brien and their raft of associates. How many court actions did O'Brien take in recent years to try to block the tribunal?

Just wait till the Judge gets to decide on costs.

Just to get back to the reality of what will happen next - nothing, the whole episode will just fizzle out and nobody will be held accountable.

Yer Man will still head poles in Tipp North and Bed Dunne will extend his celebrity status. Mr Moriarty will be ridiculed in satire - "Are you there Moriar-i-tee" song comes to mind. Denis will probably be secunded to the Dáil to try and get Ireland Ltd back on track.

The poor will remain poor, the underpriviliged will remain underprivileged etc

Let's not forget that a large part of the cost was down to the repeated, evasive actions taken by Lowry, O'Brien and their raft of associates. How many court actions did O'Brien take in recent years to try to block the tribunal?

Just wait till the Judge gets to decide on costs.

Very little of the cost has to do with court challenges as the Tribunal won most of the main ones and got costs awarded. The tribunal costs are the tribunal costs. They can't be awarded against anyone. As a matter of fact, many people are entitled to claim costs for dealing with the Tribunal.

Back