The latest from Ryanair

A

Asimov

The following is from another website.

MEMO from Ryanair Management to all Ryanair pilots

It appears that BALPA – the people who charge you money for doing nothing – are back. No surprise there. Having failed to win union recognition in Ryanair last time, they will be looking for another ballot this time, so that they can charge Ryanair pilots 1% of your salary each year in order to deliver you … nothing. Let me make Ryanair’s position on BALPA perfectly clear as follows;

1. We have no objection to any Ryanair pilot joining BALPA, the Taliban, the Monster Raving Loonies or indeed the Moonies. Each individual is perfectly free to join whatever organization he/she so chooses.

2. BALPA in return for your membership will charge you 1% of your total salary, a sum that will amount to up to £1,000 – yes £1,000 – each year. If you want to waste £1,000, we recommend fast women, slow horses or even greyhound racing, at least you’ll have a few minutes of fun, which is more than you’ll have with BALPA.

3. Where Ryanair will have a problem is when BALPA will try to use your membership to force union recognition into this airline. NOW THIS WILL COST YOU EVEN MORE MONEY. If union recognition is forced upon Ryanair at Stansted base, it will have the following repercussions;

a. The rates of future pay increases will be reduced to the BALPA rates of pay increase – in other words there won’t be any (just ask BALPA members in GB Airways, Easyjet, BMibaby), take your pick.
b. There won’t be any more favorable share option schemes for Stansted pilots.
c. There won’t be any further promotions or base transfers at Stansted as the base will be frozen. If you are a First Officer, kiss that promotion and pay increase goodbye.

4. This is just the start, because all BALPA will do is get you the BALPA rates (which are lousy) and the BALPA pay increases (which are non existent). If anyone needs advise on what BALPA can really do for you, just talk to the KLM/BUZZ or more recently the Duo pilots. Why not talk to the Easyjet pilots who have now had BALPA for 3 years and nothing to show for it except job applications to non BALPA Ryanair.

“What is the alternative.” The alternative, and sensible course for all Ryanair’s pilots is to continue as you have before, being members of whatever organizations you so choose, but continuing to negotiate directly with the airline through the ERC structure to improve your pay and conditions. Over the past four years this has seen your basic pay increase by 12%, your sector pay increase (upfront) by 12%, a continuous stream of promotions and base transfers and substantial share option participation. In addition Ryanair’s pilots have negotiated the best rostering arrangements in the industry and continue to enjoy operating the newest aircraft.

If you look at what BALPA has done for your colleagues in other UK airlines in recent years, you will see that BALPA promises a lot, but delivers nothing. For the last 3 years they have had recognition in Easyjet, and what pay increases they got, have lagged behind Ryanair, their rostering is a mess, their flight pay is less than half that of Ryanair, their total pay packages are less than Ryanair and there is still a steady influx of Easyjet pilot applications to Ryanair bases.

“But BALPA will prevent any further changes in my terms and conditions”. No they won’t. There is a mistaken view that Ryanair recently changed the 5 year pay deal. We didn’t. The terms of the pay deal allowed for it to be reviewed and altered after 3 years in exception circumstances. Believe me we presently live in exception circumstances. Take the following examples;

- Swiss and SAS have confirmed that they expect to lose money for another year or two, that’s if they are still in business.
- Alitalia has recently been bailed out for the third time by the Italian Government.
- SAS having let go 150 pilots last year and announced a restructuring package in late March that included pilot pay cuts (YES CUTS).
- SAS disclosed that its fares/yields fell by an unprecedented 17% in one month alone.
- Easyjet have issued two profit warnings in the last 3 months and their shares closed recently at £1.54p, less than half of the £3.89p peak of earlier this year.
- Easyjet warned that it expect “unprofitable and unrealistic pricing by airlines across all sectors of the European industry to continue”.

Despite this awful backdrop, Ryanair recently implemented another 3% basic pay rise for all staff including pilots. This is the only 3% pay increase in the Irish or British airline industry this year so far. Furthermore there is another tranche of share options on the way with the benefit of the current depressed share price. Yes, you lost some minor benefits including doing your medical on a day off, free teas and coffees, free uniforms, etc. All of these are worth less than your basic pay increase. These losses are pretty small compared to the job losses made among pilot numbers in SAS and more recently Duo, Jet Magic and others. 24 European airlines went bust in the last 18 months while you were getting pay increases, promotions and share options (see attached). Neither Ryanair nor BALPA can do anything about the awful world out there. BALPA promises much, but delivers nothing. Ryanair promises little, but delivers a lot.

Please do not be persuaded by the false promises of BALPA, who have repeatedly shown in other airlines that they are hopelessly ineffectual to improve pay or conditions, particularly when the pay and conditions in the only airline BALPA don’t have recognition in – namely Ryanair – are better than in the other big UK low fare airline (Easyjet), where BALPA have been recognized for 3 years now.

Finally, I would like to thank you all for your hard work and support in making Ryanair the best operation for safety and punctuality in Europe over the last 18 months. Thank you again for your support.

Best regards.

Going, going, gone ….the disappeared.
Bosnia
Air Bosnia
Italy
Agent Air
Air Freedom
Free Airways
Windjet
Finland
Flying Fin
Norway
Goodjet
France
Aeris
Air Littoral
Airlib Express
Fly Eco
Poland
DreamAir
GetJet
Silesian Air
White Eagle
Germany
Berlinjet
Low Fare Jet
Spain
Air Cataluyna
Ireland
Fresh Aer
JetMagic
JetGreen
Skynet
U.K.
Duo
Now

The following response was on the same site.

Warick Brady is the operations manager for Stansted, he is also in charge of keeping Micheals **** clean with his tongue.

After reading the memo sent out by Micheal (with Warricks name on it, so he will be the one in we will have to sue in court for intimidation when your promotion does not come when it is due) I am now of the opinion the it is essential to join BALPA.

I would naturally tend to be against unions, having seen what unflexible work practice can do to airlines. But O'Leary has crossed the line so far with his recent cuts that its obvious that its only going to get worse.

Our commitee which when the company was smaller, held some power is now impotent to stop the Ryanair management intimidation policy.

The last thing any pilot in Ryanair wants to see is BALPA come in and ruin Ryanair by trying to further its own cause, but what choice do we have.

O'leary is so quick to make these cuts and blame market forces for the down turn in buisness. What he needs to do is turn that knacker tongue of his on himself. He's the one who over expanded in 2003, creating too much capacity. He's the one who is unable to swallow his pride and expand in Dublin even though there are now airlines coming from all over the world to make a killing there.

This man has done some great things for Ryanair, but he has lied continually to the Pilots, screwed everyone in the company from the office staff to the cabin crew in order to keep his precious share price up, but he is too thick to realise that any angry pilot can cost a company a lot more than the price of a cup of tea, in extra fuel burns etc.

To cut a long story short, we ALL need to join BALPA. Or watch it just get worse and worse.

War is breaking out in Ryanair...standby for further developments.

Asimov,
Please post the link so that the content can be verified.
ajapale

Ryanair

All in good time Ajapale, all in good time.

New development.

O'Leary called a meeting of all Stansted Pilots on July 7th at which he was to browbeat them over their intention to join BALPA.

The guys were required to attend on their own time.

There was a turnout of about 20 who were pressganged into it.

Not only was the first meeting ignored, but subsequent sessions were also boycotted.

He has now sent the following threatening letter to all the guys in Stansted.

RYANAIR
Date: ……, 2004
Dear XXXX (Insert Name)

I note that you failed to attend any one of the three follow on Town Hall meetings held on ……. 2004 although you had the opportunity to do so.

Four meetings are scheduled for ………………. (on the second floor). These are scheduled through out the day to provide you with an opportunity to attend even if you are working.

I expect you to attend any one of the following meetings:

Meeting 1 10:30
Meeting 2 15:00
Meeting 3 17:00
Meeting 4 19:00

These meetings will ensure that no pilots in Stansted will have to make decisions based on secondhand information from bar-stool rumors, chat room gossip and misleading SMS messages.

A minority of Ryanair pilots failed to attend these meetings, demonstrating a lack of interest in developing their careers and securing promotion within Ryanair. [Veiled threat! Asimov]

Ryanair delivers the best pilot pay and rosters despite a period of savage price wars which is driving other airlines out of business. Pilots are losing their jobs in the UK and across Europe. Meanwhile, Ryanair is delivering jobs, promotions, new bases, new aircraft, a pay rise and stock options.

We will continue to reward those who engage directly with the company, through a superior package not achieved elsewhere by BALPA (for the not inconsiderable 1% BALPA charge from your salary).

Those who are not willing to deal directly with the company will not be provided the superior benefits that Europe’s most successful airline brings from this positive engagement. [Again..Veiled threat! Asimov]

Your absence to date suggests that you, XXX, are amongst the minority of pilots not interested in developing your career with Ryanair. [Again..Veiled threat! Asimov]

There is a long queue of pilots who would jump at the opportunities you currently experience.

Please ensure you attend next Thursday and confirm your attendance to ……….. or myself (tel: …… fax:……) whichever meeting is the most convenient for you, by phone or in writing. [Barefaced Blackmail and bullying! Asimov]

Best regards,
Warwick Brady

What a nice place to work!

Please post the link so that the content can be verified.

All in good time Ajapale, all in good time.

Eh...no offence Asimov, but how does anyone know that you're not just making all this up? I don't see why posting the link to the website is something that requires a drumroll?

Ryanair

Making it up? I've got better things to do with my time than invent yards of drivel.

Are you of the opinion that this is so outrageous that it must be made up?

I'd agree with you...only its for real!

I'll post the link when I'm ready.

Re: Ryanair

Are you of the opinion that this is so outrageous that it must be made up?

No, I never said that. I don't know though do I...because you won't post the link :\

I'll post the link when I'm ready.

I'm sorry, but I really have no idea why you want to keep this a secret from people? Is it for dramatic effect? If so...I'd be surprised if people cared all that much. But I could be wrong.

Ryanair

Nothing to do with drama Piggy. Why do you always look for a conspiracy theory? Would you consider the possibility that the thread is on a secure website?

The thread is now 31 pages long and growing. The size of the thread is indicative of the pent up anger in that company.

Are there any lawyers reading this who could give an opinion on the legality of the threats contained in this letter and whether it would constitute bullying in the workplace?

Rule 14

Asimov,

Rule 14) Please respect copyright:
If you quote from a publication or website, always acknowledge the source and provide a link.

For all we know you are part of the RyanAir publicity office or some class of a Troll.

Also, if you have a conflict of interest perhaps it would be best to declare it now?

ajapale

Sorry Asimov...I have to agree with Ajapale on this.

Would you consider the possibility that the thread is on a secure website?
Then how can anyone on a public website like AAM verify that what you're saying is true or just pure made-up nonsense. I'm not saying it is mind you...because I can't verify either way, can I?

Ryanair

No need to work yourselves into a lather.

Heres your 'proof'.

[broken link removed]

I expect you'll need a few hours to read it all.
See you later.

What was the big deal about posting that? :\

Rule 14

Thanks Asmimov,
I was beginning to think that you were a troll or worse part of the RyanAir publicity machine.

Welcome to PPRuNe, The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

ajapale

Ryanair

Finished reading it already Piggy?

The simple reason was that most people (like you) wouldn't be bothered enough to trawl through 31 pages, and/or wouldn't understand what was being said in most of the posts anyhow.
Its too much information and a distraction from the issue. The extracts I posted are an accurate precis of the whole thread.

But then, distractions are something you enjoy though...I've noticed. Try to contribute something useful, or stay away.

Ryanair

Ajapale, how could you imagine the Ryanair publicity machine would benefit from having the public know about the impending war in their company?
It wouldn't do the share price a lot of good, would it.

Finished reading it already Piggy?
Eh...no! I think you misunderstand the point of posting a link coupled with qoutes. It's to verify that they are qoutes and not just stuff you made up yourself. That's all.

The simple reason was that most people (like you) wouldn't be bothered enough to trawl through 31 pages, and/or wouldn't understand what was being said in most of the posts anyhow.
That's why you post the link with the posts in the first place. For verification.

But then, distractions are something you enjoy though...I've noticed. Try to contribute something useful, or stay away.
I see. Fascinating. You're getting personal. Nice. Care to expand on that?

how could you imagine the Ryanair publicity machine would benefit from having the public know about the impending war in their company?

No publicity is bad publicity (some might say).

Macho Posturing

how could you imagine the Ryanair publicity machine would benefit from having the public know about the impending war in their company?

Of course Ryanair benefit from reports that they are aggresively tackling trade unions.

Incidently have you read to O'Leary interview in last sunday's Sunday Times? You could ask the question how Ryanairs publicity machine benefits from.. attacking democraticlly elected ministers, disparaging people in wheel chairs, bigger breasts on the RyanAir logo and people from Westmeath (in gerneral). All these events are carefully crafted and balanced to optimise 'shareholder value'. You have to hand it to them theire unconventional approach is very effective.

So in answer to your question even if you are not part of the RyanAir publicity machine you are doing a great job of giving them free publicity.

ajapale

Who is Asimov

I offer no opinion on Ryanair (ok, I lied, I like them) but how can you call this a "Veiled threat"

"Those who are not willing to deal directly with the company will not be provided the superior benefits that Europe’s most successful airline brings from this positive engagement. "

It is not veiled at all. It is perfectly clear, perfectly up front, perfectly honest. No pussyfooting, no deliberate ambiguity so as to allow for future "wriggle room", just a plain statement of intent. In my view, such clear communications are to be praised.

Ryanair

Of course Ryanair benefit from reports that they are aggresively tackling trade unions.

Ajapale there are no unions in Ryanair...yet.

What is actually happening is that O'Leary is "aggresively tackling" his once loyal (and happily un-unionised) workforce so hard that he is driving them into the arms of the unions.

"So what" you may say?

Well, maybe nothing, maybe everything!

If the unions DO get a foothold in Ryanair it could change the situation there entirely, and not just there but in many other companies where O'Learys tactics are being copied.

MOB, you miss the point.
The threat is certainly veiled, in that it says just enough to get the threat across to the staff, but not explicitly enough to have Mr.Warwick Brady immediately faced with a cast iron prima fascie 'constructive dismissal' case in the event he ever carries it out.
So I challenge your statement that suggests Ryanair management are "perfectly clear, perfectly up front, perfectly honest"...they are - on the contrary - slimy and weasley worded bullies.

Still, its great to get this out in the open. Even if it gives Ryanair some "advertising for free". They're welcome to it. Its the kind of advertising that is about to blow up in their face.

Piggy

Oh, by the way Piggy (almost forgot you).

Do you EVER add anything to a thread? Besides dissertations on your wounded pride?

You could digress for Ireland.

Go away.

Back