The hell of BT

sherib said:
I was going to leave it but now I'll go ahead. Incidentally my PC is turned on for automatic MS updates and a recent check said there were no critical updates.
Windows Updates does not distribute some or all Service Packs even though they generally contain critical updates.
It seems that SP3 is optional and only IT Pros would know about it.
Are you sure that you're not thinking of Windows XP SP 3? Windows 2000 SP3 is out ages and has even been superceded by SP4.
BackUp hasn't worked for me so I just hope it'll be OK.
What do you mean? Windows Backup aka NTBackup? Why was it not working (e.g. what errors)? If it's not working then why are you seemingly worried about SP3 or SP4 breaking it?

I noticed too there's even an SP7 now for later than 2000 versions of Windows but I don't need to know about that.
Can you clarify what SP you're referring to here?

Sorry CM, I'm out of my depth. I think I have all the available updates based on Belarc's report. That says that my OS is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 (build 2600). Here is the rest of the relevant part of that report:
Internet Explorer SP2
Windows XP SP3 followed by 26 MS Hotfixes, latest 12.07.05

When I tried installing SP4 I got a message saying “The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install”.

Set Program Access & Default seems to apply to Windows 2000 and not Windows XP, which I hadn’t noticed before. When I followed this link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=332003 it seems that I should have had that facility when I installed XP SP1 but I haven’t and that’s a bit of a mystery - unless XP SP3 over-rides it.

Can't get rid of the bolding....:eek:

OK - from what you posted earlier:
sherib said:
It looks from those links that I've have to have SP3 installed in order to set program access and defaults ...
which is why I assumed that you had Windows 2000 installed. If you are on Windows XP SP2 with Windows Updates enabled (for manual or automatic installation of critical updates) then you should be up to date. In this case I don't know why you are not seeing the Set Program Access and Defaults configuration option.

To be fair - if you are familiar with Belarc and it's output then you are far from clueless in this context in my experience!

Am very embarrassed - Set Program Access & Default was on the Start Menu all the time - I'd only looked in the Control Panel and it wasn't there. I wasted a lot of time - apart from my own. Most of the little I know has been picked up on IT threads on AAM, so, it is thanks to you (not being ingratiating) and a couple of others who share their knowledge. Without a fundamental knowledge it's a little like flying blind - not understanding why/why not something works. What I enjoy is the fact that even for an amateur like me there are endless new things to discover!

seemingly my BT boardband has exceed the monthly download quota of 20GB, and BT has stopped my boardband account until 1st of next month.

this is certainly bad customer experience as they never notify me as a account user on the matter or offer me alternative solution to this, they simply cut me out and leave me in the dark?
has any BT user has similar experience ?any suggestion welcome

On UTV if you exceed your allowance you have the option to pay extra or to be cut off. I think being cut off is the default option, i.e. unless you indicate otherwise, this is what happens.

seemingly my BT boardband has exceed the monthly download quota of 20GB, and BT has stopped my boardband account until 1st of next month.

this is certainly bad customer experience as they never notify me as a account user on the matter or offer me alternative solution to this, they simply cut me out and leave me in the dark?
Are you sure that's what happened, polo9n, i.e. did someone in BT confirm it to you? It's the first time I've ever heard of someone being cut off for exceeding their cap.

Last night at about 7:30pm my own BB connection mysteriously died, for no apparent reason. After unsuccessfully 'repairing' the network connection a few times in the Control panel and resetting the modem, I went back to letting Windows automatically assign a dynamic IP address & DNS settings, got back online, and then reset them manually.

Dr M,
My BT connection died a little later in the evening too (about 9pm) and after much huffing and puffing with Windows "connectivity tests" (wha' Gay?!) it resolved itself and carried on as usual.
You were not alone!

So was mine. I had to reset the router. But I did discover an unsecured wireless network in the process of messing around!

Towger

Are you sure that's what happened, polo9n, i.e. did someone in BT confirm it to you? It's the first time I've ever heard of someone being cut off for exceeding their cap.

Last night at about 7:30pm my own BB connection mysteriously died, for no apparent reason. After unsuccessfully 'repairing' the network connection a few times in the Control panel and resetting the modem, I went back to letting Windows automatically assign a dynamic IP address & DNS settings, got back online, and then reset them manually.

you can be rite Dr. well they cutted me off once as i have exceed my bb limit, i didn't check with them as u know Customer service would tkae 30 mins to get thru.
i will try again and hope that solve the problem

you can be rite Dr. well they cutted me off once as i have exceed my bb limit, i didn't check with them as u know Customer service would tkae 30 mins to get thru.
i will try again and hope that solve the problem
Yes, mine was out last night as well but voip was working. Theres a similar thread over at boards.ie on the subject. Working alright at the moment. Hopefully those dns servers are fixed for good & dont blow up tonight.

i checked on the BT web site if u opt to pay for the mb over to reactive accout, they will charge 1c per mb over.

Well, if you've exceeded 20Gb in 17 days, that would suggest an approximate cost of €10/12 per day to keep going at the rate you are... maybe you need to download a little less? ;)

Back