The hell of BT

J

Jabber

Has anyone experience of BT customer care, just received my online bill
Incorrect line rental
Incorrect Boardband
Incorrect Phone calls
And the bill didn't even arrive on time.
Any experience or has anyone a direct line contact as the 1904 number is a joke
Eircom/BT are they both the same? Are just both gangsters??

Just got their 40e BB and phone package in last saturday. First thing I did was a line speed test. Got a rate of 1.5mb per sec. I was very impressed as I only asked for a 1mb line.
While initially being pleased, am not after reading this as I hope Im not going to be charged for something I didnt ask for. Will monitor closely.

I had a couple of small issues getting set up but will say I got through to 2 different very competent guys through their 1890 number and they sorted me.

car — check they haven't put you on Broadband "Plus"; they did with me initially, but I finally got them to refund the extra charge as it was down to their error. Now back to a standard 1Mb line (speeds of +500kbs) - maybe I should have said nothing, for a while longer...:eek:

As I said, the tech support guys (and gals) are pretty good, it's just the billing department most people seem to have trouble with.

The only thing that's stopping me from changing from UTV to BT is the poor customer service comments on various boards about BT. Excluding calls BT would be about 38 euro cheaper bi monthly for the 1 mb bb including line rental but I haven't had any real hassle with UTV for the past 16 months or so - hate handing out the extra money but need the reliability just the same.

Thanks for all the replies, I sent a email threatening solicitor's action and at least this seems to have got some response and a direct line number.
Let you know if I have any joy, if this avenue doesn't work I'll try your email address, plus the usual housewife scenario i.e. Gerry Ryan Joe Duffy etc. no offence meant to housewife's intended.
It's just amazing how a company can treat people like these do and in these I mean Eircom/ESB and the like.
What did Bun's Harney (when asked by RTE News what the price of a loaf of bread was Mary replied I don't know I only eat buns) shop around how can you shop around when all the stores are supplied by the one retailer.
Bertie's Celtic tiger is being powered by a couple of laughing hyena's

My download is 745kbps , upload 80.1kbps how fast is that taking 5/10 as avg I am on Esat normal BB Thanks

TE=car]Just got their 40e BB and phone package in last saturday. First thing I did was a line speed test. Got a rate of 1.5mb per sec. I was very impressed as I only asked for a 1mb line.
While initially being pleased, am not after reading this as I hope Im not going to be charged for something I didnt ask for. Will monitor closely.

I had a couple of small issues getting set up but will say I got through to 2 different very competent guys through their 1890 number and they sorted me.[/QUOTE]

Oulu
My download is 745kbps , upload 80.1kbps how fast is that taking 5/10 as avg I am on Esat normal BB Thanks

If youre on a 1mb line I think that would be fast. I was on NTL 1mb line for a year and averaged +-400mbs download. you have to take into account the time you tried the test, ie, how many people you were in contention (on your loop) with at them time you ran the test. Run the test at different times of the day over a week to get an average.

Clubman makes a good point, use the his speed testl link instead of the one I posted as it will test about as local as you can get. My speed (from work)is 350kbps on internetfrog but 1.05mbps on irishisptest. Must try this at home later on.

Either way 745kbps should be more then fast enough for home use.

Yeah - I'm on UTV Clicksilver ADSL which is nominally 1Mbps download and I get about 800Kbps+ in practice which is about as good as it gets. Unfortunately they (or eircom as the "wholesaler") were supposed to hike the upload path from 128Kbps to 256Kbps a while back but I still only get about 100Kbps+ which suggests that the nominal speed is still 128Kbps. However these speeds are grand for me for home use and I don't do that much uploading anyway so the restricted upload speed is not a problem.

I'm on Utv's ClickSilver+ and current down speed is 1.72 Mbps using ClubMan's link. Up speed is 104kbps. It's often a lot less than 1.72 but I don't suppose it would be any faster with Eircom so I'm happy enough. When I signed up in June the cost was to be €45/month at the end of the trial but they are now offering a new contract at €39.99/month. I can't see any difference in the Ts&Cs. but wonder if there's something I haven't noticed.

Regarding speed testing, irishisptest.com doesn't work for me using Internet Explorer but is fine with Firefox. I have up to date Java and even changing settings in Internet Explorer, it still won't test. Has anyone any idea why this is happening?

sherib said:
I don't suppose it would be any faster with Eircom so I'm happy enough.
Probably not since UTV simply resell eircom's wholesale residential ADSL package (i-Stream?).

Regarding speed testing, irishisptest.com doesn't work for me using Internet Explorer but is fine with Firefox. I have up to date Java and even changing settings in Internet Explorer, it still won't test. Has anyone any idea why this is happening?
Are you sure that IE is configured to use Sun's Java runtime/VM and not Microsoft's proprietary and legacy version? Check Tools -> Internet Options... -> Programs -> Manage Add-ons -> Java Plug-in ... and/or Start -> Set Program Access & Defaults -> Custom (or active profile) -> Choose a default virtual machine for Java.

Thanks for reply. I went to Tools and noticed Manage Add Ons... which I hadn't used before. Found that some of the Java Plug Ins weren't enabled so I changed that to enable and now it's working fine. Never thought of looking in Programs in Internet Options so thanks for that infor. When I went to Start, couldn't see Set Program Access & Defaults so now wondering where I can find that. Sorry, am still low on the learning curve:)

The Set Program Access & Defaults utility is available on Windows 2000 (SP3 or later) and Windows XP only as far as I know. See here for info on W2K and here for info on XP.

It looks from those links that I've have to have SP3 installed in order to set program access and defaults so I think I'll have a go tho' will probably get in over my head.
Microsoft Help and Support
When you install SP3 or SP4 for Windows 2000, the Set Program Access and Defaults icon is put on the Start menu and in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Members of the administrators group can use the Set Program Access and Defaults feature to specify the default programs to use for certain activities, such as Web browsing, sending e-mail, or media playback and to control of the display of the program's icons, shortcuts, and menu entries
This information is intended for advanced users and IT professionals.
That is most definitely not me!
The trouble with most professionals is that they have forgotten how much they know, while the non-pros generally don't realise how much there is to know and have the confidence of ignorance! While not the latter category regarding IT, I enjoy a challenge and I can always cry help.:) If it works I won't know what to do with it - the next challenge!

Installing a Windows Service Pack should be simply a case of [broken link removed] and running the installer. You can choose the "enable rollback" (or whatever it's called) option to allow for uninstalling it in the unlikely event that it causes problems. Note that not installing the latest Service Packs and Windows Updates on Windows platforms leaves them vulnerable to security and stability problems.

Sorry - my fault this thread has wandered. Thanks for that advice ClubMan. I was going to leave it but now I'll go ahead. Incidentally my PC is turned on for automatic MS updates and a recent check said there were no critical updates. It seems that SP3 is optional and only IT Pros would know about it. Were it not for CM's link about how to Set Program Access and Defaults I wouldn't have known that it is an advisable download. BackUp hasn't worked for me so I just hope it'll be OK. I noticed too there's even an SP7 now for later than 2000 versions of Windows but I don't need to know about that.

Back