The Green List

Thanks,so it's just a Europe policy, the government is shortly closing for holidays, do you think they will issue another list every 2 weeks?

Thanks,so it's just a Europe policy, the government is shortly closing for holidays, do you think they will issue another list every 2 weeks?

Not sure that's a good question.
Of course the issue with updating a new list is that some countries might drop off it... did I that Spain was on the UK green list and now because of a rise in cases it's off it. So people who went away assuming they wouldn't have to isolate on return have been caught out.

Note the information from the German government,.
Travel from third countries

Since 17 March 2020 entry restrictions have applied throughout the EU for non-essential travel from third countries. These restrictions also specifically apply to travel to Germany.
On 30 June 2020, in view of the improved global epidemiological situation in some regions, the Council of the European Union adopted a recommendation on relaxing the entry restrictions on the basis of a draft drawn up by the Commission. Germany will implement this recommendation from 2 July 2020 as follows:
Third countries without travel restrictions

From 2 July 2020, unrestricted travel to Germany is once again possible from the following third countries with low rates of infection:
  • Australia
  • Georgia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • Uruguay
  • The Irish government has no such information.

but the rest of europe has already lifted travel restrictions and is essentially open to travel from other european countries with a few exceptions therefore seeing travellers from other countries is not such a big issue. We are the outliers here

tell that to our friends across the water who are holiday in Spain right now.

In fairness to countries on the continent, it's a lot harder to practically restrict travel because of land borders

tell that to our friends across the water who are holiday in Spain right now.

In fairness to countries on the continent, it's a lot harder to practically restrict travel because of land borders

Before we tell anybody from across the water I think we should address our own Irish who also travelled in numbers to Spain.

Before we tell anybody from across the water I think we should address our own Irish who also travelled in numbers to Spain.
What do you suggest lock them up in a gulag to do hard labour?, the language around the corona virus is getting totally out of proportion approaching east German stasi stuff.

What do you suggest lock them up in a gulag to do hard labour?, the language around the corona virus is getting totally out of proportion approaching east German stasi stuff.

Perhaps it is in some places, but hardly here. Introducing terms like 'stasi' seems a little OTT

It's often cheaper to holiday abroad than to holiday in this country. I'm not sure why it's such an outrage that welfare receipients are taking a sun holiday abroad but nobody is checking the hotels and holiday homes of Ireland for unemployed people on holiday.

It's often cheaper to holiday abroad than to holiday in this country. I'm not sure why it's such an outrage that welfare receipients are taking a sun holiday abroad but nobody is checking the hotels and holiday homes of Ireland for unemployed people on holiday.

What legal basis are they even doing it on? There are no legal travel restrictions. There are no restrictions attached to the receipt of the Covid uemployment payment. So what makes them think they get to tell people they can't spend their money on a foreign holiday. What next? Standing outside shops seeing who is buying alcohol?

So with Irelands cases per 100,000 now rising to 23 the "green list" is looking silly . most of europe has also experienced a surge in new cases . Therefore we should ditch the green list open up travel to most of europe and bring in a "red list" barring travel from very high covid countries in the Americas, Asia and Africa.

Last edited:
With Covid cases rising all around the world the Green List is fairly small at the moment....Is there even a green list at all ?

With Covid cases rising all around the world the Green List is fairly small at the moment....Is there even a green list at all ?

As our cases rise actually our Green List gets bigger in theory...

But it doesn't look like France will be on the Green List anytime soon.
Thankfully Aer Lingus cancelled my September flights to Nice so I won't be setting foot in Monaco either this year :(
Bit relieved as I wasn't planning on being on that plane so now getting a refund... Aer Lingus were offering free flight changes but you'd need to fly soon as their timetables are in a state of flux i.e. so couldn't book for next spring.

I see Ireland is adopting the European union traffic light system for international travel, but that seems to be focused on travel from outside the eu, so countries like Australia are considered green list. However what about countries in the shengen zone and the eu, presumably they are all classed as Green list as travel is open to pan European travel unless specific countries like Ireland, UK or Hungary impose more stringent restrictions. Is that correct, are all eu countries "green list" countries under this system?

Back