The Emigration thread

5, but left during the last recession. Had always planned to go to the USA when qualified but changed by meeting my OH. Glad we're in a modern European country with great healthcare, infrastructure, schools, social services. We can afford to come home, in fact as each day goes by it becomes more affordable but our lifestyle and choices are too good and the healthcare system in Ireland in particular scares the living daylights out of me. Plus everyone is telling us we'd be mad to come home. Love Ireland, love being Irish and planning to send the kids back to secondary school there (boarding) so that they too feel Irish. But with the way FG are handling things (same old, same old) not so sure. Lack of hope. Voting for hope and no hope. (Vincent Browne in the SBP article last Sunday is a case in point)

Where are you living Bronte, and can I come?

A.

Good article on the topic from Fergus O'Rourke on The Journal.ie

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/col...nd-we-have-to-stop-being-hysterical-about-it/

Just read that ,and it is excellent.

What I have found is that so many young couples had to move very far away from where they were brought up in Ireland ,that they dont have family living around the corner anyway..of course on special occasions or in an emergency they can go the distance,but with money being so tight this may not even be an option anymore ..
My brother moved to the USA in the 80s, we see more of him and now his grown up children than we do of one or two of our relations who live on the other side of the country.
Its not the end of the world ,just a different one..

Things are ok for me financially and both my wife and I have businesses here.
That said if I did leave it wouldn't bother me too much though my wife wouldn't leave her parents.
I'd be happy enough moving to the USA. I could get a job there and Mrs. Purple would have no problems at all getting a job there. We'd definitely be better off financially but there's more to life than money as long as you have enough to get by and anyway, there's no reason to go.

A friend of mine was asked by his employer to move to one of their 4 major offices. One is in Atlanta, one in London, one in Geneva and one in Beirut. He worked in their Atlanta office so didn’t want to go back there and so he said if he had to move he’d go to London. He also said that if he didn’t have children he’s go to Beirut before living in Geneva. I’ve never been there so I can’t comment (though I’ve visited Zurich and it’s lovely).

But I always planned to leave Ireland. I've shared a house with people who grew up in mainland Europe and maybe it opened my horizons a bit. I like many things about where we live...gorgeous German town, weather is much better without being too hot, Germans are nice and cheerful here. I work in an international company where I can meet up with a few Irish head-the-balls every so often and with loads of other interesting characters too. I'm well paid for what I do and we get good value for money both in rent and living costs where we live. The downside is I have to commute and I'm not using my degree which I left work to get in Ireland. Also, I'm not sure if health care is much better, if the queue at the GP is anything to go by. But I get to go cycling and hiking every weekend, I live near vineyards which are beautiful to go walking by in the evening and we can go visit many places/countries by car and I don't have to be petrified by Ryanair's check-in staff to do it. A big plus for me :)
I was lucky to get the opportunity to move and although it's not perfect, it's pretty damn good. I miss my good friends of course, but they were busy with their new families anyway and we all lived so far apart it was impossible to see them on a regular basis anyway.
I suppose it depends on your perspective of what you're leaving behind and what you stand to gain and what your choices are. Also, I think it would be much harder to leave if you have elderly parents in Ireland. Mine, God rest them, are already gone to their reward, so that's not something I ever had to face. And I'm glad I didn't have to...but then I wish I could have shared this wonderful place with them because they would have loved it.
I wish Ireland and the Irish well though, follow the news daily and keep hoping things will get better soon. But not to come home...we're happy abroad and coming back to visit for now.

So I heard today of another friend emigrating. It seems that the people who are leaving are those with potential. Wealth and job producing people.

I'm wondering how many people are considering making the leap? I've devised a scale:
0: Very happy in Ireland. No thoughts of leaving.
1: Content in Ireland, but have thought about leaving.
2: I'll wait and see what new taxes are brought in, and when it gets too severe I'll probably leave
3: Strongly considering leaving. I'm doing research into it.
4: Made plans already and am emigrating over the next few months.
5: Already left.

(I'm between 2 and 3 at the moment.)

I am at 3.

I lived and worked in the UK for about 5 years in the late 90's and would strongly think about going back to London.

In the UK, there is far less of a "woe is me" mentality, and people just forge ahead without expecting the government to pay them a couple of hundred euro a week to sit at home watching the telly, nor do they accept that government employees should be wildly overpaid as they are here.

Back