The Emigration thread

Z

z107

So I heard today of another friend emigrating. It seems that the people who are leaving are those with potential. Wealth and job producing people.

I'm wondering how many people are considering making the leap? I've devised a scale:
0: Very happy in Ireland. No thoughts of leaving.
1: Content in Ireland, but have thought about leaving.
2: I'll wait and see what new taxes are brought in, and when it gets too severe I'll probably leave
3: Strongly considering leaving. I'm doing research into it.
4: Made plans already and am emigrating over the next few months.
5: Already left.

(I'm between 2 and 3 at the moment.)

This is a vote right? I'm between 0/1.But you might consider "I can't leave because..." as an option too. Have looked at living abroad and might in the future, but entering a final year of a new degree course, so I can't/won't leave until that's complete. Have to say tho things would need to get pretty bad to make me want to leave. I like living here.

I'm working in a dead end job with no prospects whatsoever and steeped in debt. Things for me have become so bad that I was on the verge of calling the SVP the other day so emigration is the only way forward for me.

Have the Back to work enterprise allowance paid to me until next summer and the kids start in for their free pre-school year this autumn so no incentive to go while the govt subsidises our lifestyle for another year.

Might up sticks when all the welfare goodies run out by Autumn 2012 if no improvement in next year or so. What a nightmare this country is to live in....

You might want to include what paces people have emigrated to/are thinking of going to for points 3/4/5. I'm in catagory 1. I have done the travel for a year thing to the opposite side of the world and loved it and have the memories. But the memories pull at the heart strings and get the mind thinking..........until of course i get hit with another mortgage payment then its back to earth with a bang....

Not so much on the 'what taxes are brought in' but more on the lines of 'how much worse things get generally'.

Ive just been made redundant, so Im assessing my options going forward, I dont know how much of a future exists in this country. Ive already said goodbye to 5 or 6 people gone to other countries (mostly Australia) - all professionals.

There is also a double zero base.

Those of us of a certain age where because of roots, family, friends, little or no personal debt and work, emigration is unlikely to ever be on the cards. Who would prefer if things were better here but are prepared to do what it takes to get to an end result.

mf

One thing I've noticed is a lot of familys emigrating are doing so on the basis of never returning rather than a 3-5 year stint. I've contacted old colleagues to see if they would join me but the majority said if they were moving they were looking at Canada & Australia and the move would be permanent.

I would say I am a 2.7. I have done substantial research into my options and have been in contact with friends and former colleagues who are now living abroad. I am employed and my job is reasonably safe, so my main concern is taxation (income, VAT, DIRT and CGT). If it wasn't for my one year old daughter I believe we would already be a 5. Having a baby is also impacting where we are looking to go, as we want to be in a position where my wife doesn't have to work to make the transition easier. We have narrowed things down to Hong Kong and Switzerland. From a standard of living point of view and income and taxation, both are about the same, but the latter is the favourite from a distance to home point of view and the skiing.

I am somewhere between a 1 and 2. My husband has mooted the idea of going to Australia, there is a demand for his profession and we are just about young enough but I don't think I could face such a distance. As it is he still has a job which seems to be reasonably secure but we are classic middle income earners getting the brunt of the hits. I have seen for myself in my last job people who have never worked a day having higher weekly incomes than us when taking into account all their benefits. It sickens me that our leaders have created a situation where it barely pays to work and I don't blame any of our talented citizens for leaving.

It saddens me that my son, who is sitting his LC next week,has already made the decision to leave after college. There just seems to be no hope for our young anymore.

5. and an extremely happy 5 at that. 60 Euros return to Dublin all taxes included in less than 3 hours means I could do it every weekend if I so wished. Beautiful weather, beautiful lifestyle, beautiful everything come to think of it.

5. and an extremely happy 5 at that. 60 Euros return to Dublin all taxes included in less than 3 hours means I could do it every weekend if I so wished. Beautiful weather, beautiful lifestyle, beautiful everything come to think of it.

Hi Ancutza,

I note you are living in Romania...just wondering how things are holding up over there as the following from Wikipedia sounds very familiar. Any tax increases/austerity measures?

During the 2000s, Romania enjoyed one of the highest economic growth rates in Europe and has been referred to as "the Tiger of Eastern Europe."[97] This has been accompanied by a significant improvement in human development.[98] The country has been successful in reducing internal poverty and establishing a functional democracy.[99] However, Romania's development suffered a major setback during the late-2000s recession as a large gross domestic product contraction and a large budget deficit in 2009 led to Romania borrowing heavily,[100] eventually becoming the largest debitor to the International Monetary Fund in 2010.[101]

2. I'd love to stay here, but our governing bodies drive me nuts. Both my wife and I are working, and in reality our jobs are as secure as any private sector job is. But there are better options available, and the government keep doing more to push us out of here. A shame really, because if we go we aint coming back. Though I do love the country, but Ireland is just like a shakespearean tragedy. A country of waisted potential.

I note you are living in Romania...just wondering how things are holding up over there as the following from Wikipedia sounds very familiar. Any tax increases/austerity measures?

Yes, of course there have been tax increases (the one which hit my business the hardest was an increase in the VAT rate from 19% to 24%) and there have been many austerity measures introduced too but I still haven't locked the door on my holiday home in over 10 years, the country continually throws up new opportunities for business, we have a very nice quality of life and a good standard of living. The kids are happy as pigs in pooh.

I would never, ever get hung-up on official 'figures' released by the romanian state. There are, after all, 2 economies. The official one and the other one which buzzes along in the background spawning a middle class. Bit like Ireland in the later '80s and very like Italy, Spain, France and the other 'latin' countries.

the other one which buzzes along in the background spawning a middle class. Bit like Ireland in the later '80s and very like Italy, Spain, France and the other 'latin' countries.
You mean the one that doesn't pay tax?

Back