The cost of Childminding

Most childminders are not registered and work in the black economy and like Liam Lawlor and CJH they are tax evaders ;)
so in that context it is correct to say the crèches are proper businesses.

Isn't there a specific allowance (€10k?) for child-minding income that is tax-free?

I too was wondering what to charge a childminder.She will only be working part time about 34 hours per fortnight does any one know what i should charge??

My childminder gets €200 per week cash - 52 weeks per year. She is "closed" when she goes on holidays. The money I pay to the creche is fully declared and they don't close down for holidays.

Many creches, especially small scale ones, do close for at least two weeks of the year. You also pay a creche in cash. Just because you pay in cash does not been the money is not declared. How on earth do you know your childminder is not declaring the money, or are you assuming?

Quote:

"Many creches, especially small scale ones, do close for at least two weeks of the year"
The one we are using doesn't

"You also pay a creche in cash"
We pay by monthly direct debit

"How on earth do you know your childminder is not declaring the money"
She told me.

Am i missing something here - "closing for 2 weeks in the year" - surely this has no bearing on the quality given?

I don't get why a "proper business" would be a better choice either, I would prefer if someone was minding my child and not seeing it as a business which most childminders do not (I thought anyway) , as they find themselves home because they working full time does not suit them etc.
TBQH I wouldn't begrudge a childminder the cash - if they pay tax on it its their business but since I paid tax on it I suppose I reckon what harm.

I know i am in for such a land if i ever go down that road....

I pay my childminder in cash, and I also know that she doesn't declare this (she minds several kids, various arrangements, part time, after school etc) or the money she earns from keeping foreign students as she has also told me, and given me her various 'reasons' why she won't.

I signed up to the arrangement with childminder knowing the money was not being declared. It's none of my business. She minds 4 or 5 children ... some full time, some part time. Probably clears between about €700 per week. She does a job that I would not want to do.

My preference would be to have my school going child as an after-schooler in the creche where the baby is - because it is open all year round and there is the back-up of a business where if one minder is sick someone has to cover. Also there would be the added convenience of one drop off/collection for both.

Have just worked out that we are paying considerably more per hour [pro rata] for the school going child than the baby!

I signed up to the arrangement with childminder knowing the money was not being declared. It's none of my business. She minds 4 or 5 children ... some full time, some part time. Probably clears between about €700 per week. She does a job that I would not want to do.

My preference would be to have my school going child as an after-schooler in the creche where the baby is - because it is open all year round and there is the back-up of a business where if one minder is sick someone has to cover. Also there would be the added convenience of one drop off/collection for both.

Have just worked out that we are paying considerably more per hour [pro rata] for the school going child than the baby!

She does a job that I would not want to do.

I agree on both counts; I couldn't imagine doing that job and keeping my sanity. I (and others I know) also expected the cost of childcare to decrease once they started school, but this isn't the case.

Back