The cost of Childminding

I think this sounds like a fair compromise - a 25% hike. 80 sounds very good for the school going lad. Just explain that you feel it is too much of a hike and that perhaps you could review it again in 12 months. I wonder is there any particular reason why she wanted such a hike in the first place. Does she mind any other children or just yours? Do you bring all the food etc for the kids? Will she have to do the school run for the child that is starting school. Perhaps she was thinking of this and maybe it's an inconvenience for her and that's why she put up her price.
Open to what others think.

Also did you think to sit down and crunch the numbers and see if you could take a few years out from work? Is it possible for you to take a career break/leave of absence? You might have an even better child minder then ;-)

Originally Posted by my2leftfeet http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=451293#post451293
We have one school going child with a childminder - who charges €200 per week. This is 52 weeks per year - 7.45am to 6pm. School drop and collection included. We think this is very expensive but do not have another option as school drop is very difficult to get.
We also have baby in a creche - open 7.30am to 6.30pm. €930 per month. We supply everything ... food, nappies etc.

[Holy crap! Nearly €2,000 a month!! That is more than my monthly wages!! What on earth do you live on??]

De Boss ... I know it's very steep. It is still worth my while to work financially ... and def mentally! I think the charges for the baby are ok - it's open 52 weeks a year etc. etc. It's paying a minder €200 per week 52 weeks for child who goes to school that kind of hurts ... but as I said ... we haven't been able to find another option. I would gladly pay that to a creche as it is a proper business but they won't do the school drop!

hi de boss definately fair offer, as you say you can't be working to just fund it that would be soul destroying. I wonder does the minder want to stop minding them and is using the cost as a reason for you to say no way?? lets know how it goes, don't have any kiddies yet myself but reading the posts on aam its terrifying that childminding is the cost of a mortgage!!

I would also agree that it is a fair offer.
Let us know how you get on.
And if anyone knows of anywhere that does school drop in Rathfarnham area ... please PM me!!!

We pay €350 per week for three children in our house, one a 4 month old. this invollves collecting from school etc. This is good value i think and i think any more than 400 is excessive.

I wonder does the minder want to stop minding them and is using the cost as a reason for you to say no way??

Hi pc7. I dont believe this is the case, she minds a few other children aswell, and is always telling me my children are well behaved and no trouble. I have to say my children are generally quiet, even at home, (don't think they're angels - they sure have their moments like every child), so I don't believe she would lie about that.

How many other kids does she mind? If she minds another 3 and gets €150 for each then she'd be pulling in €3600 per month. Do you think she declares this income? If she's not paying tax then this is a pretty income at €43k no tax, equiv of > €60k for someone who is paying tax. Of course she may be completely above board but I think there seem to be plenty of childminders who work cash in hand, most earning below the threshold mind you. Over maybe 6 kids if they're all going from €100 to €150 per week then that's a serious jump in her income!
I'd definitely still try to negotiate though...

My wife is planning on returning to work very soon. This will be part-time permenant 2 days a week. We have a child minder, who is a friend of the family, she has said she is happy to look after our son and only wants the going rate.

What is the going rate based on 8-5 working day 2 days a week. She will only be minding one child and we will supply all the nappys food etc. Bearing in mind our son is been looked after in her own house.

We offered her 40E per day but she wants 60E if we settled on 50E p day would that be a fair arrangement?

We really dont want this lady feeling used and want to give her the going rate.

It may be posable in a number of months time the my wife will be working full time. If we agree a high daly charge based on two days only this my make my wife working pointless. The main reason she is going back to work is to keep her hand in at what is qualified to do.

hi jaid79 as i say don't have kiddies so not sure but if its 9 hours work for 50 quid that's less than minimum wage €5.55 an hour (but with it being cash in hand etc maybe that is fair) but from reading previous posts in the thread seems a good deal for both sides.

From trawling through rollercoaster.ie on childminding I would consider €40 - €50 to be the norm. Haven't come across too many cases of €60 per day. I know it's only 2 days a week but even in a creche 7.30 - 6.15 I'm only paying €45 per day based on a 3 day week (in Dubli)n. I think €60 is above the norm. I know it's less than minimum wage but you're providing all the necessaries and it's in her own home so she can still go about her business, just with your child there too. I mean it's not like she'll be minding at the expense of doing her housework, shopping, being able to take personal phone calls, meet a friend for coffee, etc. or maybe she's incredibly conscientious and will devote 100% of her time to entertaining your child.

or maybe she's incredibly conscientious and will devote 100% of her time to entertaining your child.

He sleeps 40% of the time, he is a great little lad very very happy, I think we should have called him Sunny:D "A Very Proud dad speaking"

Jaid79 ... it's very difficult to get part-time childcare arrangements. I would say that EUR50 per day was fair

Jaid79 ... it's very difficult to get part-time childcare arrangements. I would say that EUR50 per day was fair

We have it sorted now she settled for 50E and we are happy to give it to her. She is a really nice lady and I`m sure our son will get on well with her.

It's paying a minder €200 per week 52 weeks for child who goes to school that kind of hurts ... but as I said ... we haven't been able to find another option. I would gladly pay that to a creche as it is a proper business but they won't do the school drop!

Eh, so is a Childminder!!

National average is about 130 euro, counties surrounding Dublin, about 160 euro and Dublin 180 euro. A 10% sibling discount would be normal.

Childmnders are self employed, and unless they come to your home, minumum wage does not apply.

Eh, so is a Childminder!!

National average is about 130 euro, counties surrounding Dublin, about 160 euro and Dublin 180 euro. A 10% sibling discount would be normal.

Childmnders are self employed, and unless they come to your home, minumum wage does not apply.
Most childminders are not registered and work in the black economy and like Liam Lawlor and CJH they are tax evaders ;)
so in that context it is correct to say the crèches are proper businesses.

hey all...i am just wondering what you think would be an accecptable fee for minding one 8 year old three days a week...full day as school hols are on...bearing in mind that the childminder drops her three year old at creche for a half day on these three days so she will have to return home to mind the 8 year old. (8:30am to 5:30pm) ...and stuck inside all day due to our lovley weather! lol

Quote:

It's paying a minder €200 per week 52 weeks for child who goes to school that kind of hurts ... but as I said ... we haven't been able to find another option. I would gladly pay that to a creche as it is a proper business but they won't do the school drop!

Quote "Eh, so is a Childminder!!" SarahMc

My childminder gets €200 per week cash - 52 weeks per year. She is "closed" when she goes on holidays. The money I pay to the creche is fully declared and they don't close down for holidays.

Purple,
Do you know that for a fact? And if so could you post a link to where you got the information please?

Back