Health Insurance That time of year again - Health Renewal- Laya Simplicity

horusd

I'm currently with Laya Simplicity due in Jan 21 at Eur 1581 Looking at replacing it with a lower Laya priced option like Control connect450 /Control create 350/Control create 450. I had advice from my optician s that I'll likely need cataract surgery, so I want to make sure this is covered going forward. I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm hoping this link works. It is from LAYA website, comparing Simplicity and Control Create 300 / 450.

For all plans it states:
Specified Orthopaedic & Ophthalmic Procedures
No excess or shortfall applies for Specified orthopaedic procedures, normal excess applies for ophthalmic procedures

Just to be aware, the excess is higher on those plans than on Simplicity.
So you might save €100 - €200 on those plans for premium versus Simplicity.
But if you are getting any procedures done next year, you will have to pay their higher excesses e.g. 50/100 for Simplicity versus 300/450 for other plans.

Those plans for everyday medical expenses have an excess of €1 though versus €100 for Simplicity, so if you have a lot of GP, physio, glasses receipts you will get more money back on them.

Update.

Thank you Kerry for the tip off. You are absolutely correct. Laya will allow you to cancel your existing ( policy, as in not renew it) and quote you a new policy premium at 2020 prices. They will issue you with a new membership number, without breaking cover or losing existing benefits . This starts on December 31st, as opposed to January 1st.
Technically, you are insured for the last day of the month twice. Your new policy starts then on January 1st with a renewal date of December 1st 2021.
So basically, the increase does not come into effect for another 11 months.
I rang Laya today and all this was confirmed and in my case, put in place. By the way, I too am on Simplicity.
Thank you

Thanks folks, I think I'll try to bring the renewal date fwd as it might just be simpler - pun intended! I think I might have done this before. I'll call Laya and confirm if it is possible, and post the outcome. Many thanks, particularly Odyssey06 for the detailed replies. I had toyed with ringing Dermot Goode's company, but TBH at 125 fee, the savings would be cancelled out, and I kinda know what I want anyhow.

Last edited:
Hi guys, from my own reading 'Connect Simplicity' is very similar to 'Simplicity' however with a higher excess in relation to hospital cover. Everyday medical expenses has only a 1 euro excess though as opposed to 'Simplicity' ''€100 Individual Excess / €200 Family Excess ''. These plan names can sure get confusing.

Hi guys, from my own reading 'Connect Simplicity' is very similar to 'Simplicity' however with a higher excess in relation to hospital cover. Everyday medical expenses has only a 1 euro excess though as opposed to 'Simplicity' ''€100 Individual Excess / €200 Family Excess ''. These plan names can sure get confusing.
From my read of it, there's a difference in hospital cover om the cheaper plan keving.

I spoke with Laya today - had a wait time on hold of over 35 mins first time and 45 a second time, before I gave up. Anyhow, they offered my renewal in Dec to Dec 2021, so I can avoid/delay the rate increase for a while. Happy enough with that.

I didnt see any major differences in hospitals or procedures covered except on excess... can you elaborate? Thx
I thought I noticed a different level of cover for Beacon with a shortfall, but as I look at them again now, there doesn't appear to be one of any substance. I suspect I might have looked at another plan which is a different - the names are quite confusing.

No, its pro rata so you are actually only billed for 11 months.
That said, I know of a friend who contacted Laya yesterday and was advised somewhat differently. They were offered a 10% discount on the annual premium and asked to sign up as a new policyholder online and subsequently cancel their existing policy on or after the renewal date.

I just did a breakdown of the quote Laya gave me and compared info from the HIA website. Laya offered the following quote with a renewal date of the 1/12/21 =1261.66 + 3% credit charge = 1299.51. On the HIA website the premium for Simplicity is 1370.55, which divided by 12 *11 would be 1255.38 +3% 1294.02, so roughly a 6 euro difference.

I just did a breakdown of the quote Laya gave me and compared info from the HIA website. Laya offered the following quote with a renewal date of the 1/12/21 =1261.66 + 3% credit charge = 1299.51. On the HIA website the premium for Simplicity is 1370.55, which divided by 12 *11 would be 1255.38 +3% 1294.02, so roughly a 6 euro difference.
My quotation is 1257.90 for cover from 31/12/20-30/11/2021 No mention of the 3% credit charge either during the call or on the emailed quotation. I was told that I paid it in monthly instalments 3% would be then added.

My quotation is 1257.90 for cover from 31/12/20-30/11/2021 No mention of the 3% credit charge either during the call or on the emailed quotation. I was told that I paid it in monthly instalments 3% would be then added.
I'm not bothered to query it, it is close enough!

What happens health insurance if you die midyear where (a) you have paid annually and (b) where you have paid monthly?

In (a) is the non-relevant period reimbursed and in (b) are no more premiums due from date of death?

Back