Tesco or Pigsback Visa

Hi

For what its worth, I've seen both Tesco & Pigsback VISA in operation over quite a while now, with direct experience to both & in a nutshell this is how I see them:

Tesco Visa
- better for benifits, assuming you shop in Tesco & particularly if you buy your petrol there too

Pigsback MBNA Visa
- slightly lower APR if you do happen to miss your payment deadline
- far superior customer service to the above

Good Luck with them

Cheers

G>

I've had the Tesco Visa card since 2004 and it's due to expire at the end of March. I received my new card in the post today and its expiry date is March 2007. Is it me or is that...slightly odd? I pay my credit card bill immediately (via the post office) and in full. When I was issued with my first card in '04, the expiry date was two years from the date of issue. Why would it drop to one year? It's been suggested to me that perhaps Tesco haven't been as successful with the card as they'd hoped and are perhaps not willing to commit to customers for longer than that. I think my curiosity will have me phoning their customer service line anyway, but I'm just wondering if anybody else using the Tesco card has experienced the same reduction in the length of time for which it's been issued.

Moose said:
I've had the Tesco Visa card since 2004 and it's due to expire at the end of March. I received my new card in the post today and its expiry date is March 2007. Is it me or is that...slightly odd? I pay my credit card bill immediately (via the post office) and in full. When I was issued with my first card in '04, the expiry date was two years from the date of issue. Why would it drop to one year? It's been suggested to me that perhaps Tesco haven't been as successful with the card as they'd hoped and are perhaps not willing to commit to customers for longer than that. I think my curiosity will have me phoning their customer service line anyway, but I'm just wondering if anybody else using the Tesco card has experienced the same reduction in the length of time for which it's been issued.

I've had a Tesco card for over 3 years and my cards have always had a one year life span.

Crunchie said:
I've had a Tesco card for over 3 years and my cards have always had a one year life span.

Does anyone know a particular reason that some companies opt for shorter spans than others?

Re: Tesco Visa

Update re the Tesco Visa offering (from today's Irish Times):

Tesco is giving €40 shopping vouchers to all new customers who sign up to its credit card between now and May 14th.
The Tesco credit card includes a 0% interest rate on balance transfers for up to six months.
Customers can also earn Tesco Clubcard points on purchases made in any retail outlet. The interest rate on purchases is 14.9% APR.

Moose said:
Does anyone know a particular reason that some companies opt for shorter spans than others?

Banks tend to vary the length of time new cards are valid for, and to sometimes vary the expiry month, for security reasons.

If someone finds your old card, for example, which expires Feb 2006, they can't just assume the new card is valid for 2 years and try to make payments using the same card number and with an expiry 2 years in the future i.e. Feb 2008. This would be rejected by the bank as the expiry could be January 2008 (different month) or even Jan or Feb 2007 (shorter term).

Shorter expiries were also common when switching cards to chip & pin, as the lifetime of the new card if not yet chip would be shorter as it would be replaced soon with a chip one.

Does anyone know if tesco have any intention of allowing online account inquiry for credit card holders, I find this invaluable and is one of the reasons I haven't switched over to them.

icantbelieve said:
Does anyone know if tesco have any intention of allowing online account inquiry for credit card holders, I find this invaluable and is one of the reasons I haven't switched over to them.
I've been holding off on switching for the same reason but I noticed today that you pay for the tesco visa using billpay.ie

Not a full online service by any means but I may switch.

Given that UB cc holders have no facility to see their transactions online, I'm not sure that Tesco customers will be (UB issue credit cards for Tesco).

justsally said:
Does anyone know if Lidl/Aldi accepts Tesco credit cards.
The provider (Tesco) isn't relevant-it's the type of card, i.e. Visa, MC or Amex.

The Tesco card is a Visa card which is accepted by Lidl and Aldi.

askalot said:
I've been holding off on switching for the same reason but I noticed today that you pay for the tesco visa using billpay.ie

Not a full online service by any means but I may switch.

Just a word of warning for people using the billpay.ie service. I recently had a problem with this, where i was paying a bill and setting up a future date for payment. I entered the future date in the dd/mm/yyyy format (e.g. 15/03/2006).

however, when i proceeded to ok the payment, i noticed that the date had defaulted to a dd/mm/yy format (i.e. 15/03/20) :( :( which is not what i wanted at all.

It appears that the site either converts years entered in "yyyy" format to "yy" format, but uses the leading digits (in my case 20) or does not have any provision for the full year format, which is a bit strange, given all the hullabulloo abour y2k, etc.

either way, it could have serious repercussions if you don't notice the date, and OK the transaction, for some date in 2020.

CCOVICH said:
The provider (Tesco) isn't relevant-it's the type of card, i.e. Visa, MC or Amex.

The Tesco card is a Visa card which is accepted by Lidl and Aldi.

Thanks CC:)

Crunchie said:
Lidl and Aldi do not accept ANY credit cards - only Laser

Sorry, I was confused, the point I was making was that the fact that it was a Tesco card was irrelevant.

irishpancake said:
Just a word of warning for people using the billpay.ie service. I recently had a problem with this, where i was paying a bill and setting up a future date for payment. I entered the future date in the dd/mm/yyyy format (e.g. 15/03/2006).

however, when i proceeded to ok the payment, i noticed that the date had defaulted to a dd/mm/yy format (i.e. 15/03/20) :( :( which is not what i wanted at all.

It appears that the site either converts years entered in "yyyy" format to "yy" format, but uses the leading digits (in my case 20) or does not have any provision for the full year format, which is a bit strange, given all the hullabulloo abour y2k, etc.

either way, it could have serious repercussions if you don't notice the date, and OK the transaction, for some date in 2020.
I use this site all the time as well.

I just tried this and it appears that the Payment Date is indeed a 2 digit year. The field accepts "07/03/06" but is limited to 8 chars so if you try to type "07/03/2006" you will get "07/03/20" instead as the field will stop accepting input after the 8th character. This is probably what happened to you.

However, if you don't notice this and choose to proceed with this date, you will get a message saying "You can not make a payment more than 30 days in the future", so it is unlikely that you would actually get caught out.

Back