Tesco or Pigsback Visa

U

Unregistered

Hi All,
Just a quick question. Does anyone know which is the best value?
Tesco or Pigsback Visa?
I pay off what I owe each month so I am looking to see what I can get back?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I'm a Tesco Visa user and because I also shop at Tesco and buy my petrol there I do quite well out of it - around €45 in vouchers per quarter. As I mentioned in a Credit Cards post recently they're also very on the ball when it comes to security. On the downside they don't have online access to your account. I reckon Tesco vouchers are more useful than Piggypoints

You get Tesco vouchers anyway if you use a clubcard. Perhaps not as many though. Piggypoints? Always seemed to me to be not worth the bother.

I wondered about this too. mbna visa but can now thange to pigsback under the one €40 rule and still stay with mbna,who I find handy as I dont have a cheque book and they supply one. all you have to do is preload it before writing a cheque and theres no interest to pay.I have my isp as piggy and last year I got a €50 voucher for kinnity castle. recently took €20 in hughes and hughes bookshop vouchers. Ok I know they are expensive bookshop but this more than levels the pitch.

extopia said:
You get Tesco vouchers anyway if you use a clubcard. Perhaps not as many though.

In addition to the usual 1 point you get per € with an ordinary Clubcard you get an additional point per €2 spent on the Tesco Visa Card regardless of where you use it.

Of the approx €45 in vouchers I get per quarter it works out at €10 - €15 from my Tesco spend and the rest from the Visa

Anyone use the Brown Thomas credit card? It has a high enough interest rate (16.9%)but I pay off my balance every month so that doesn't bother me. You get points to use in the shop by shopping there or a load of other places.

Can you pay the tesco card through aib online?

Cahir said:
Can you pay the tesco card through aib online?

Not sure - I pay mine by DD from my ptsb a/c

A point worth noting on their DD mandate form is that it only gives the option of paying the minimum or a fixed amount. When I told them I wanted to pay the full amount they told me it wasn't in their interest to encourage this (how's that for honesty??) but if I amended the form there would be no problem.

I have a Pigsback CC and use the points to buy credit for my pre pay mobile. However if you have a monthly bill pay mobile your piggy points spending options are fairly limited, in that case the tescos vouchers might be of better use.

Just looking for an update on this.

Anyone got anything extra to add to the discussion so far? I'm about to switch CC but not sure which to go with. I pay my CC in full every month and am looking for the best value in terms of points etc....

as someone said, pigsback is fairly limited (and seems to be getting worse) in what you can spend your points on (there's only so many times you can go to the cinema!!!!). But then myself and the missus don't have a huge food spend every month either....so the Tesco points would be fairly low even if using the CC for other non-tesco purchases.

Are there any other 'reward' credit cards out there other than Tesco or Pigsback?

thx.

Delboy said:
But then myself and the missus don't have a huge food spend every month either....so the Tesco points would be fairly low even if using the CC for other non-tesco purchases.

thx.

I have a Tesco visa which I pay off every month. Don't shop in Tesco much except for petrol. Tend to do my food shopping in Aldi and local butchers and greengrocers. Find the vouchers I get though handy for buying things I don't like from Aldi, mostly toiletries.

Points would only be low if you didn't use the credit card at all - you get normal clubcard points plus 50% if you shop in Tesco (i.e. if you spend 10 you get 15 points) and 1 point for every €2 you spend elsewhere (i.e. spend 200 buying flights somewhere and you get 100 points). As I have a fairly low limit on my credit card I don't get a huge amount of vouchers but I do use them all.

The deciding factor for me at the time I got it almost a year ago was that Tesco paid the stamp duty. They now offer a €40 voucher for Tesco when you sign up so that essentially covers the stamp duty cost I suppose.

Oh, and I pay my bill through Banking 365.

One thing I liked about the credit card bill from Tesco is the reminder on the front of it that if you only pay the minimum amount each time it could take you much longer to clear your bill.

This Tesco thingy seems very interesting. I use both Visa and Laser. So, if I cancel my Visa Card and sign up for Tesco Visa I would benefit from extra points etc. Sorry for being such a dud, tell me again please, how do I pay off the Tesco Visa every month?. My head is a tad confuddled at present so any help would be much appreciated.

a further question. If I change from my present Visa card to a Tesco card can I continue to pay by direct debit? Thanks:confused:

Delboy/applegrower, if (as originally posted) you always, always clear the full amount, then you should consider BoI's [broken link removed] (listed under the 'reward schemes' section of CCOVICH's best buys).

I run up about €20K/year on mine, and it nets me €200 in direct 'cashback' — easily cancelling out the extra €40 government duty, and mine to spend wherever I want. But you will probably need a backup (I'd recommend the Tesco Visa), as Amex isn't quite as widely accepted...

applegrower said:
This Tesco thingy seems very interesting. I use both Visa and Laser. So, if I cancel my Visa Card and sign up for Tesco Visa I would benefit from extra points etc. Sorry for being such a dud, tell me again please, how do I pay off the Tesco Visa every month?. My head is a tad confuddled at present so any help would be much appreciated.

You can pay it for free through billpay.ie if you register there and you have a laser card

You can pay your Tesco Visa by Direct Debit or "over the counter" at Post Offices. The latter is free, they accept cash or cheques (made payable to An Post) and my experience is that it is shown as credited to my account on the date of the payment.

Thanks, for all the advice. I'm going to take the Tesco Visa rate.

Back