Tesco or Pigsback Visa

MonsieurBond said:
I use this site all the time as well.

I just tried this and it appears that the Payment Date is indeed a 2 digit year. The field accepts "07/03/06" but is limited to 8 chars so if you try to type "07/03/2006" you will get "07/03/20" instead as the field will stop accepting input after the 8th character. This is probably what happened to you.

However, if you don't notice this and choose to proceed with this date, you will get a message saying "You can not make a payment more than 30 days in the future", so it is unlikely that you would actually get caught out.

Hi there MB

They have gone and changed it, and improved it as well :D :D

the limit to 8 charachters in that field is new, as are the warnings regarding future date, etc.

To confess a little here, I actually got caught out with the date format some months ago, when paying an ESB/BoSI Appliance Loan via Billpay.

I was mystified as to why my payment had'nt been made, and found out that I had made the error of entering the year as "2005", which became "20" unnoticed by me. No warnings about 30 days in the future.

When i checked with Customer Care, they found out that my next/missed payment was scheduled for payment in 2020 :p

I actually had to make a double payment the following month (finished now TG).

I e-mailed Billpay the other day, when i saw the reference to them here, and they apparently have acted on this.

I think we can claim another success for AAM, even if I felt a little silly at the time.

MonsieurBond said:
Banks tend to vary the length of time new cards are valid for, and to sometimes vary the expiry month, for security reasons.

If someone finds your old card, for example, which expires Feb 2006, they can't just assume the new card is valid for 2 years and try to make payments using the same card number and with an expiry 2 years in the future i.e. Feb 2008. This would be rejected by the bank as the expiry could be January 2008 (different month) or even Jan or Feb 2007 (shorter term).

Shorter expiries were also common when switching cards to chip & pin, as the lifetime of the new card if not yet chip would be shorter as it would be replaced soon with a chip one.

Thanks for the explanation.

Back