Terminating Sky Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this box can work using BB and does not require a dish.

The one linked earlier (now removed) has dual satellite feed connectors. You can get Android and other set to boxes that just stream over the web using various apps, but you won't get any premium channels on those legally either.

Wow indeed. Start with Section 9 of the Broadcasting Act 1990, then Section 372 of the Copyright and Related Acts 2000.
Thanks Leo but it doesn't tell me that the box is illegal. If I have Sky installed by means of a dish and I then cancel my subscription to Sky, does that mean my dish is now illegal because I can still get some channels on it for free? Why are you so, so, vehement on the device I mentioned being illegal when I cannot see that being mentioned anywhere? Like i've said many times before, show me the "exact" link, not your opinion on some link or other, that's what's known as interpretation. Is it not?

Thanks Leo but it doesn't tell me that the box is illegal. If I have Sky installed by means of a dish and I then cancel my subscription to Sky, does that mean my dish is now illegal because I can still get some channels on it for free? Why are you so, so, vehement on the device I mentioned being illegal when I cannot see that being mentioned anywhere? Like i've said many times before, show me the "exact" link, not your opinion on some link or other, that's what's known as interpretation. Is it not?

It is only illegal if you are watching channels that are NOT free to air. However, the way the box works could be construed as an attempt to watch those channels, without paying the subscription, and therefore would be illegal.
If you are not trying to watch those, than this "magic box" makes no sense as you can get a freeview receiver for half the money.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then there is a high probability it's a duck

If it looks too good to be true, smells too good to be true and seems too good to be true then................

Newirishman sums it up well. Most of these boxes themselves are not illegal, using them to view free-to-air broadcast channels is also perfectly fine. So if you cancel your Sky subscription, you will still receive all the free-to-air channels, and that's perfectly fine. The Broadcasting Act is really clear, I don't understand how further links would be required to show that cracking the encryption on a subscription channel and watching it without paying for it is not OK.

The piece where you're paying the providers of that box for a 'subscription' to their illegal hacking service is, obviously illegal, and the modified box they are selling which is capable of carrying out the decryption of subscription channels is also illegal. Why else would they be so cautious, only putting some of the pertinent information on Facebook, hiding their website behind an offshore privacy service so the Irish authorities can't trace it, and then not even credit cards or PayPal for payment?

It's simply not possible to legally receive all the Sky channels including movies and sports and even the pay-per-view movies for anything like €80 a year.

Newirishman sums it up well. Most of these boxes themselves are not illegal, using them to view free-to-air broadcast channels is also perfectly fine. So if you cancel your Sky subscription, you will still receive all the free-to-air channels, and that's perfectly fine. The Broadcasting Act is really clear, I don't understand how further links would be required to show that cracking the encryption on a subscription channel and watching it without paying for it is not OK.

The piece where you're paying the providers of that box for a 'subscription' to their illegal hacking service is, obviously illegal, and the modified box they are selling which is capable of carrying out the decryption of subscription channels is also illegal. Why else would they be so cautious, only putting some of the pertinent information on Facebook, hiding their website behind an offshore privacy service so the Irish authorities can't trace it, and then not even credit cards or PayPal for payment?

It's simply not possible to legally receive all the Sky channels including movies and sports and even the pay-per-view movies for anything like €80 a year.

Not true, I paid by credit card.

Not true, I paid by credit card.

Can't see that option on their web site., only "cash on delivery" at checkout.
All the other stuff is correct though.
No VAT reg number either despite charging VAT.

EDIT: Not sure if I would share my CC details with a company hiding their domain registration behind a privacy service though.

Can't see that option on their web site., only "cash on delivery" at checkout.
All the other stuff is correct though.
No VAT reg number either despite charging VAT.

EDIT: Not sure if I would share my CC details with a company hiding their domain registration behind a privacy service though.

Good move, it's rarely wise to share such details with criminal organisations.

Good move, it's rarely wise to share such details with criminal organisations.
"Criminal organisations" ? That's some statement. Anyway, I used my CC on the advice of my neighbour who is a lawyer and had used the same buying method himself quite some time ago. I also have telephone no's, people's names, etc to contact the company. Thousands of people are using this, thousands of others are using other receivers, no one I know feels guilty or think they're doing anything illegal nor have they had any problems with regard to paying methods. I do know plenty of high street shops, retailers, wholesalers, business people who have left ordinary people in the lurch with shady practices and sudden business closures, etc. However I would leave it for the courts of justice to brand those people as criminals or criminal organisations. But then again, "there's nowt as queer as folk".

"Criminal organisations" ? That's some statement.

Not really, they're engaged in criminal activity. How else would you describe people who break the law for easy money?

You and lots of others happily supporting them and breaking the law in the process yourselves doesn't make it OK. The double standards in relation to compliance with the law amazes me at times, we all hate burglars, but there's a large group of people very happy with the bargain they picked up at the car boot sale or market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back