Terminating Sky Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

roker

My half price 12 month contract is up in March. As the full price for the TV and broad band at full price will be €120 month, I have written a termination letter giving 1 months notice. So far no response.

They take payment via my debit card, I am not sure how this works, can I stop this payment at the end of contract at the bank?

You must ring them to cancel. They only accept changes by phone.

You can't stop payment as they will chase you for unpaid DD.

Ring them immediately. You can ring them late at night.

My half price 12 month contract is up in March. As the full price for the TV and broad band at full price will be €120 month, I have written a termination letter giving 1 months notice. So far no response.

They take payment via my debit card, I am not sure how this works, can I stop this payment at the end of contract at the bank?

You have given them the required notice. Cancel the direct debit yourself as you are perfectly entitled to do, it's your money not the banks.

I found it very difficult to terminate Sky.In the end I sent them a registered letter which did the trick.

I have never had a problem with Sky when I rang them up. Be firm and they'll play ball.

Easiest way of ending your contract is to say you are emigrating ... that ends all discussion.

You have given them the required notice. Cancel the direct debit yourself as you are perfectly entitled to do, it's your money not the banks.

You can write but you'll still have to speak with them over the phone:

"Write to us or send an email to tell us that you’d like to cancel and we’ll call you back to verify your details and process your request. Please note, we won’t be able to cancel your services unless we verify your request over the phone."

'Tis all here:

I totally agree with Clonback - Sky were a nightmare to cancel.

They chased me for money I did not owe for months - avoid like the plague!!!!!

Hello,

For those of you considering cancelling Sky, when you telephone them immediately opt for them to call you back - there can be a notable cost to calling them on an 0818 telephone number (depending on which telephone provider you are with).

Once you write with relevant numbers you can assume cancelled. May have to keep proof of posting and allow up to 1 month from receipt. Cancel your direct debit. If any issues bring them to small claims court and claim all the fees you paid back - they won't waste their legals fighting case and you will receive a cheque in post to go away !

When you try to cancel over the phone prepare for a long long wait before they get the message. They will not accept your simple request to cancel. You have to be very firm and not accept harassment from them. Absolute nightmare to get away from.

You can write but you'll still have to speak with them over the phone:

"Write to us or send an email to tell us that you’d like to cancel and we’ll call you back to verify your details and process your request. Please note, we won’t be able to cancel your services unless we verify your request over the phone."

'Tis all here:

I guarantee you they will cancel your services if you stop paying them ! If you want to waste money on a phone call, join a queue to speak to someone and then listen to a 10 minute sales pitch Paddy's advice is the way to go ! At the moment I'm waiting on the legal proceedings to be issued by Sky for cancelling by e mail.

Once you write with relevant numbers you can assume cancelled. May have to keep proof of posting and allow up to 1 month from receipt. Cancel your direct debit. If any issues bring them to small claims court and claim all the fees you paid back - they won't waste their legals fighting case and you will receive a cheque in post to go away !

Not if you don't comply with the cancellation terms you previously agreed to be bound by. All the telcos are notorious for this, they usually win unless things are done by the book.

Just phone them up and cancel. They will try to offer you a deal to make you stay, tell them you're not interested and cancel the subscription. It will take you 5 minutes max.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

See how it works in court - guaranteed you can tie them up in knots and paperwork - complain to Comreg , request data protection etc and they will pay you off to go away !

See how it works in court - guaranteed you can tie them up in knots and paperwork - complain to Comreg , request data protection etc and they will pay you off to go away !

Is it really worth that amount of trouble, just for the sake of avoiding a telephone call ?

As I suggested earlier, it's much easier to just call them, get them to call you back so you don't incur the cost of a long telephone call at a premium rate and then cancel.... a few minutes of plesant (please stay with us, we love you) type chat and then it's all over, seems a much easier way to deal with this than preparing for a battle you may not even win, in court !

As for your suggestion that they will "pay you off", I'm not sure where you are getting that from but it seems a bit far fetched to me, unless you can support with some specific examples ? If you cannot provide some examples, then I fail to see how you are offering good advice to others I'm afraid.

As for your suggestion that they will "pay you off", I'm not sure where you are getting that from but it seems a bit far fetched to me, unless you can support with some specific examples ?

I'd be interested in that also. From my understanding, such claims would be outside the remit of the Small Claims Court, and regardless, it'd cost considerably more than a simple phone call in terms of time and effort to pursue any other method.

Obviously I wasn't suggesting that one claims a small amount - claim total fees paid over the full period of contract. Claim is based on inferior service and unhelpful customer service follow-up. Yes, you will need proof of where you contacted/ who you spoke with/ emailed.

I already advised regarding friend who received over 1000 euro from one recently rebranded provider. Money is does not give as much satisfaction, as watching how their legal departments are unable to defend the case in open court !

But you advised earlier to bring them to the small claims court! Now it's not the small claims court? A customer who has made no contact with a provider, fail to cancel their service under the terms they agreed to, then make a subsequent claim to retrieve monies paid after their cancellation notice has no grounds to reclaim everything they paid since they signed up.

Inferior service, or the service provided in any way not meeting that specified in the contract is an area covered by the small claims court, but we are not talking about that here. We're simply talking about cancelling a service the OP no longer wants. Please let's stick to that topic. Anything relating to claiming for substandard service can go in a separate thread.

If your friend's case did indeed relate to a case where they cancelled a service and subsequently went about reclaiming money charged after the cancellation, give us the case number or details so we can review the outcome online in the court records. That would be very useful information for the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back