Terminate BroadBand supplier before time, due to poor service.

SDMXTWO

I have had an ongoing issue with my ISP since Nov 19. I emailed them and discussed the problem but as of today the problem is still there. They have told us to disconnect the phone, said there is a fault on the line etc etc. We do not have TV stations so rely totally on Netflix. I warned them that Christmas was coming but nothing has been fixed. Constant buffering, dropping signal, no phoneline, admission of a fault. Twice they have said send the modem back but I am afraid of having nothing and get stuck with a break of contract fee.

They continue to take the DD. How long can this go on as they are threatening to charge me over 300€ to break the contract. They mailed me to state they can only discuss the problem (by phone) with the account holder who at 7:00pm is in no state to start troubleshooting their problem. Have I any case to leave the contract.

Last edited:
I left eircom because the broadband service I received was woeful. I even received a refund of over payment.

Pre eir time so I don't know what the story is now.

I left eircom because the broadband service I received was woeful. I even received a refund of over payment.

Pre eir time so I don't know what the story is now.
Hi Paddy, thanx, hoping for more replies on this. I know they are just holding out to make the money. Believe me if it was'nt such a bad service I would not be bothering but their constant answer is can you take a call to fiddle with the modem / & you still owe us the money. The service is so poor it just buffers most of the time as in you could not sit down and watch a movie. It's unfair to be held over a barrel like this since Nov..

Bottom line is that you paid and are paying for a service they didn't and don't seem capable of supplying.

I'd be pestering them on the phone pushing for a termination of contract. I'd also be emailing them ... creating a paper trail.

Hello,

I would send a registered letter to their offices detailing the situation to date, advising that I was suspending payment and giving them 14 days to resolve the matter, otherwise, you consider them to be in breach of contract and you'll consider the contract terminated, without further notice.

I would cancel the direct debit with your Bank immediately. If the ISP does resolve the situation within the time specified, then setting up a new direct debit is easily done, but first insist on compensation from the ISP for the period of time that the service wasn't working etc.

More and more people are complaining that customer service at ISPs is terrible and despite endless complaints about almost any company your care to name, posted all over the Internet and most likely submitted to ComReg, nothing has been done to compel the ISPs to treat customers fairly. As such, we need to take appropriate action ourselves, while obviously staying within the law. I'm not a solicitor, but my view is that your ISP is failing to provide the service that it contracted to provide, so subject to giving them a reasonable period of time to put things right, it's a clear breach of contract and your entitled to terminate it.

If you do have to terminate, send a second registered letter advising the company of same and outlining the reasons why, with copy to ComReg. ComReg probably won't do anything, other than pretend that it's nothing to do with them, but it'll be negative publicity for the ISP with ComReg, something they won't want.

It's long past time that we all started standing up for ourselves a bit more...

Ring ComReg and register the complaint with them. They will give you a reference number for the complaint and quote that in any correspondence.

What bugs me the most is that they will immediately get on to Intrum Justica to say I owe them. But I will take Mr. Earls advice on the reg letter (8€) as I have all emails and photos of stalled signal from TV since last Nov.

I don't know which provider you are complaining about, but I have a good speed from irecom, trouble was, when I tried to contact them about my contract, it was impossible by phone or online and they ignored 2 letters.

They probably will, but so what. Do you stay with them because you are afraid that they will threaten you.
Well actually yes I was, 350€ which I do not have, but I bombarded them with mails and photos for months until I got a threatening letter from 'Our Collection Team' in Sept. I increased the mails to every dept in Pure and then last week, got an apology and the break in contract fee cancelled.

Back