Tenants want a new iron?! Is this a slippery slope?!

Thanks everyone for the replies, a really interesting mix of opinions!

I should have mentioned here (I think I started another thread about it a while ago) that part of the reason that I am wary of them is that they asked me to sign a 'fake' contract to help them defraud Social Welfare (or whatever the exact dept is that pays their rent) - basically they wanted me to say I was charging them more than I actually am so they would get the extra. I refused, which led to a frostiness from them - not me - and that's when these requests began.

So whether it's relevant or not that's the background to this.

If they were short of money I would be more than happy to help them out with stuff like the iron and glue (you're right, this does sound silly!), but they're not. Last week they asked me to take away the TV I had left them because they had bought a new one that looks like a cinema screen. They've asked me for permission to put up a new satellite dish, which I gave, they have two cars, one an 07 Volvo, they've had broadband installed, they're going on a fortnight's holiday to Spain in a few weeks, etc, etc.

I'm simply listing out the above to show they're not poor, for no other reason.

The point about the glue - the press door wasn't broken when I lived there, I know that for certain, I washed it down often enough. I'm guessing that, maybe, one of their kids banged against it. That's not a problem at all, these things happen, I just thought it was odd that they would ask me to buy the glue to fix it!

However it might sound I'm not a lowlife landlord out to make these peoples' life a misery! It's the first time I've ever rented out - I didn't want to but had to because of personal circumstances - and I've helped them any way I could. As I said, the cost of the iron and the glue isn't the issue at all, I'm just worried that there'll be no end to these requests, even when they're not justified.

Aha...the context paints a slightly different picture...Just keep an eye on it...If they are getting broadband and happen to be surfing...note that they might recognise themselves here.....

If they are getting broadband and happen to be surfing...note that they might recognise themselves here.....

:) That crossed my mind, but I think I'm safe enough. I won't say why for fear of being leapt on!

My landlady was a dream landlady - when I left she gave me the tv, microwave, bed, futon and offered me the couch - how nice was that??

Truthseeker - she obvs realised that she saved herself a fortune (in time and money) with all the odd jobs you did for her.

Truthseeker - she obvs realised that she saved herself a fortune (in time and money) with all the odd jobs you did for her.

ah sure its good to keep busy of an evenin :)

OP - context does help alright, i think just make the situation clear that you wont be running for every little thing.

Whenever anything goes wrong in the house I'm currently renting I either replace it or have it repaired myself. I make sure the job is well done and I do it happily.

Why? Landlord is a busy man and I don't want to disturb him. Also I am extremely grateful to him.

The house I'm renting is similiar to a house I almost bought in 2006. Since then the value has fallen by about €200k. He has absorbed that while I have avoided it. Gonna do nothing to upset that landlord for a good while yet!

If I broke something myself I'd replace it no problem but if its needs replacing cos its old I'd get my landlord to do it.

I asked him for a new bin recently cos the lid was bang jacked - it was a no big deal (he had rang me about cleaning the outside windows). I'd say he jumped into the car and went to tescos cos I had it that eveing.

Good tenants are appreciated by landlords... I've only had one rent rise in 4 years and at it was only €25 extra.

Blueberry why would you rent out your place to someone you are wary of?

They were found for me by an estate agent who felt they would be fine and recommended I rent to them. And on a personal level they are fine, I'm confident that they'll look after the house well, which is the most important thing.

I am only wary of them because they asked me to sign a fake contract after they moved in, which took me aback (to say the least) and because since refusing to do so they have been cooler towards me, having been friendly. It's been since then that they've been ringing and texting me, often late at night, with various requests, some of which I feel have been petty.

All of this happened after they moved in. If they'd asked me in advance to sign a fake contract I wouldn't have rented to them.

They were found for me by an estate agent who felt they would be fine and recommended I rent to them. And on a personal level they are fine, I'm confident that they'll look after the house well, which is the most important thing.

I am only wary of them because they asked me to sign a fake contract after they moved in, which took me aback (to say the least) and because since refusing to do so they have been cooler towards me, having been friendly. It's been since then that they've been ringing and texting me, often late at night, with various requests, some of which I feel have been petty.

All of this happened after they moved in. If they'd asked me in advance to sign a fake contract I wouldn't have rented to them.

Would you consider having them leave and getting someone you did feel more comfortable with?

Would you consider having them leave and getting someone you did feel more comfortable with?

I'm reluctant to do that to them, to be honest, but I'll see how things go. They haven't actually broken any of the conditions of the contract, as far as I can see, and I suppose the fake contract business is their word against mine. Hopefully it'll all settle down.

To be quite honest with you I think they are taking the **** with this.

I only rented a few times but no way was anything like irons or tv's etc provided and I would be of the opinion that if people want all these things they should go and get them themselves. If you keep replacing stuff they are going to keep at it next thing you'll know something will be wrong with the fridge, washing machine etc etc.

Nip it in the bud - if you find your guarantee fine replace the iron but just this time.

f you keep replacing stuff they are going to keep at it next thing you'll know something will be wrong with the fridge, washing machine etc etc

Thanks Steph. That is exactly my fear! I'd have no problem fixing or replacing bigger stuff - eg fridge, washing machine, heating, etc - because I take that as my obligation, but at this rate I have visions of them asking me to replace everything from malfunctioning garlic crushers to blunt carving knives. I could have taken all this stuff with me, but left them to be helpful - I'm beginning to regret the decision!

I also left a supply of firelogs and peat briquettes for them for the fireplace in the living room and they texted me after 11 one night asking me to remove them next day because it was too dangerous to light a fire because they had children.

I also left them a lawnmower and strimmer....if they break them do I have to replace them?!

Oh God....I just wasn't cut out to be a landlord. :(

I think if you supplied the iron, it’s up to you to maintain the iron, so if it doesn’t work it’s up to you to repair or replace it. Same applies to the lawnmower and strimmer. I think the tube of glue, garlic crusher and blunt knives would be pushing it a bit too far. Being a Landlord is a learning experience you will be wiser next time round.

Personally I would be more concerned about social welfare tenants who have two cars (one an 07 Volvo) expensive T/V and 2 wks hols in Spain.

Perhaps there is more to these tenants than meets the eye.

Last edited:
Yes, I think this is a slippery slope. If anything else gets broken, insist on seeing it before replacing it. I don't think landlords are obliged to supply these items - where would it end? What's to stop them demanding a blender or an electric can opener for example?
Nip this firmly in the bud. Since the iron was already supplied, tell them you'll sort it and let them wait a while and then give them a €10 iron from Tesco or Dunnes. They can certainly afford to buy it themselves by the sound of things!

I'm not a landlord, I'm a tenant and would never dream of asking a landlord to supply a tube of glue. Maybe they're not messers but have an over-developed sense of entitlement thanks to the Social Welfare system. If they complain about the delay tell them you're busy earning a living and will get round to it when you get a chance.

When u rent out a house / apartment - the items that are in the house r part of the deal and when / if they break they must be replaced. Tenants expect this.....

Some landlords put in the cheapest possible items and some tenants resent this! Would it be possible that your tenant was / is unhappy with the iron and has popped out a fuse in the hope of getting an upgrade!!!!!

From my experience as a landlord - putting in reasonable items keeps the tenants happy and I have less wear and TEAR to deal with.....

I'd go with your gut feeling on this. If you think things there is potential trouble ahead, then you are better getting rid of them. You can terminate for no reason if they have been there for less than 6 months.

I know they may claim to be unemployed, but if they are the type who are into the latest consumer goods, then they'll want the latest kitchen appliances and more before long. Asking you to be party to the fraudulent SW claim would be the end for me - they're basically dishonest people.

Have to agree with the sentiment that if you provide a piece of equipment or furniture that gets worn out or broken, then it needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately, its not going to be possible to tell whether or not this iron got broken because they were careless with it. In the greater scheme of things, its not a big thing.

I am surprised about the glue, I'm gobsmacked about their fake contract... I'm not surprised you are slightly concerned about what might happen, however it hasn't happened yet so don't panic.

Anyone can rent out their place - though for your peace of mind, it might be worth employing a management company, where there'll be a proper contract in place, access to advice and a middleman between you and the tenants to ensure that it doesn't get too stressful.

If you are renting out a house to a family, I would suggest not supplying things like an iron - its reasonable to expect that a family would already have things like this and also a considerable amount of their own possessions. If it was a one-bed apartment that's different but families have a lot of their own stuff.

Am I missing something here? They’re having their rent paid for them by the state, yet they’re able to run 2 cars, go on sun holidays & have giant TV’s???

It would seem pretty obvious that they are well used to taking things and taking advantage of situations so do be surprised if this behavior continuous.

Back