Tenants want a new iron?! Is this a slippery slope?!

B

Blueberry08

I just started renting out my house a few weeks ago and the tenants have already been quite petty about a few things (eg they asked me to buy a tube of glue so they could re-attach a corner of the front of a press door that had come loose - it was never loose before), and tonight they texted me to say the iron I left for them no longer works and they want me to replace it. I should add that it was fairly new (if only I could find the guarantee....) and was working fine the couple of times I used it.

Replacing the iron wouldn't cost me much, that's not the issue at all, I'm just beginning to sense that there'll be no end to requests like this.

I can't see anything in the contract that is detailed enough to cover something as minor as this, so what do you think? Is this normal? Should I just replace the iron and hope it's not a slippery slope?

On a wider issue - I don't want to offend anyone but they're on social welfare and I get the feeling from them they see me as an extension of that, ie that no matter how small an issue (eg tube of glue) they see it as my duty to look after everything for them. Again, is this common?

Thanks.

As a tenant I would probably go out and buy an iron but take it with me when I was leaving. Same for the glue but, in fairness, if they have very little money (and as social welfare tenants this is probably the case) maybe they can't afford to buy these things. A tube of superglue is nearly 10 euro. Cheapest iron about 15 euro. If you had 50 euro left over after bills and food would you spend 20% of it on someone elses house?

I would imagine if the inventory stated that they have an iron then you should replace the broken one. It could have been worse for the press. They might have made you come and fix it. And if they care about little things like that getting fixed it would lead to the assumption that they will take good care of the place as opposed to wrecking it.

I know every time we moved in somewhere we checked everything as we didn't want to be blamed for damage when we were leaving (like the apartment where someone used a blade to cut the wrapping off the new leather suite) so i suppose we might have been considered annoying for that but we always paid the rent and looked after the place.

So I would say, go buy the iron. :D

surely if they were happy with the house when they moved in they are liable to replace or cover the costs of any items such as the iron that no longer work?

maybe give them a new iron but let them know thats the end of the goodwill.

Hi Blueberry
I think they are taking things a bit too far - an iron is something they themselves should provide - I rented for 10 years in Dublin..
The second thing is the glue for some damage they could have done - rather than buy the glue - I would have inspected the damage and made them repair it...

surely if they were happy with the house when they moved in they are liable to replace or cover the costs of any items such as the iron that no longer work?

No - by extension, if they are happy the heating or fridge worked when they moved in, then it broke down they should fix it themselves? Not likely. Things break, wear out etc.

As long as the OP is happy it wasn't caused by someone dropping it etc.

Yep, I would replace the Iron and tell them in a nice way that is it. No more repairs or replacements unless it is covered by the lease. I've been a landlord for nearly 10 years, and in cases similar to this being polite the in first instance. After that I lose my patience. No insult intended, but some social welfare tenants aim at taking the p**s.

In my experience a request for an iron would not be common. Most tenants already have their own or they will buy one and take it with them. This leads me to think that your tenants intend staying for a long time.
I would buy the iron for them - having first checked that the old one doesn't work (they may be mistaken, have it on a low setting or something).

Hmmm:( While each person that has answered you so far has raised good points & I understand where they are coming from, I personally would not be too sure about replacing the iron. The repair of the press was one thing, it's basically fixtures and fittings. However, I'd be afraid purchasing the iron would set a precedent and just start the ball rolling. (Have you checked to make sure it isn't working?).

And just from experience, I've always had my own kettle, iron, tv, stereo, crockery, cutlery & bed linen when moving. I've always replaced any bulbs or fuses that blew whilst in my use as it's been my fault they blew. But if a fridge or a cooker wasn't working, the very first time I plugged it in, then I'd ring the landlord immediately.

I would have thought that renting a place would include supply and repair of fixtures fittings, large furniture items and white goods etc. You are renting property to them, not running a full services apart-hotel operation. I would regard an iron as "personal effects" to be supplied by the tenant. If more than just fixtures/fittings etc. are being supplied, the rent should be higher to reflect that.

By giving them an iron and other small electrical items from day one, you were being a kind and considerate landlord. Sometimes kindness doesnt pay. In future, when renting, you should remove all items from the house that you would expect the renter to supply themselves.

I'd agree with csirl, the problem here is that you did supply them with an iron which most landlord don't (at least most I know don't). If it has just stopped working, you do need to replace it, (dig out that guarentee), if they dropped it or broke it through neglect, then they have to replace it. I normally just provide basics (fridge, cooker, washing machine, kettle) and after that it is up to the tenant. I never supply a TV as then I would also be responsible for the licence.

Alternatively, make a note in the lease that while you are leaving certain item, you are not responsible for replacing them i(eg - I had a washer/dryer and told tenants if it had to be replaced, I would ony provide a washer).

Again though, is the iron on the inventory? because if it is and they go out and buy a new one and take it with them when they leave would that not affect them when landlord realises it isn't working. Would they not then be liable for it and it may affect their deposit. maybe they have been stung before and had their deposit kept for a stupid reason like that. I know we asked for our lease to be extended for 2 months and when we left after the 2 months the landlord tried to keep the deposit as we had broken the lease by extending it (he reckoned it was automatically extended 6 months when we told the EA 2 months). We had to go to the small claims court and I can assure you, any place we rented after that we were very particular but only because of previous experience.

They're seeing if you're a soft touch. Be 100% professional. Call in, take the iron away and see exactly what the issue is with it, or get someone who knows basic electrics to do so, it may simply be the fuse. Only replace it if it is broken.

You shouldn't have bought the glue, a bit late now, you should have called in and fixed the problem yourself.

An iron should be included when renting out a property as should a board, hoover etc etc. Why do you think they should replace faulty goods that you left there? Did you like alot of landlords buy the cheapest iron out there and expect it to be ok for tenants?. They are hardly turning the screw on you so just get them a decent iron and realise that you are providing a service that they are paying for.

Imho i wouldn't class these tenants as petty but as good house minders, as they could let the property fall down around them and not bother the landlord with these so called petty problems,and as the saying goes ! (a stitch in time says nine) so get them the iron and remember there is more to been a landlord than just collecting the monthly rent from them.

I cannot believe all this fuss and bother over an iron and glue. You supplied an iron, it's broken, fix it or repair it. I always supply an iron to my tenants. Same as kettle and toaster. Re the repair, I'd be really happy a tenant wanted to make a repair and would be over the moon to just pay for the glue and not have to fix it myself. That's a sign of a great tenant - you're a lucky landlord.

regardless of what should/shouldn't be included, or whether the tenants are social welfare or not, they agreed to rent at a particular price having seen the property AND the contents, fixtures & fittings etc. Had there not been an iron or some of the other items, they may not have accepted the rent figure. By renting with these items, I believe you have committed to keeping all of these items in working order for the duration of their tenancy.

Next time don't include so much, and be more familiar with the contract YOU issued.

I don't think its quite the slippery slope and the fact that they are social welfare tenants has nothing to do with it at all....If you supplied the iron, then have it repaired or replaced...but agree with other posters that you were probably a bit too generous with them

If you supplied an iron you will need to replace it, same with a kettle and toaster. I would have repaired the thing myself.

I've heard of tenants asking for lightbulbs something I never do as a tenant but I am a dream tenant.

I've heard of tenants asking for lightbulbs something I never do as a tenant but I am a dream tenant.

I rented once - for a 2 year period. I reported a leak in the roof to the landlady in the 2 year period and in that time fixed a curtain rail, a wardrobe door, a leaking radiator, a toilet problem and a broken bed.

I was kinda naive and just assumed it was up to me to fix things. Even the roof ended up being repaired for free by a friend of mine.

OP - you need to make clear what is and isnt your responsibility with your tenants.

Back