Taxi driver who scammed 270 passengers keeps his license despite Garda objections!

and so you should apologise. Totally out of order. I have come across many an honest taxi driver and one in particular that springs to mind was when he called me back to the taxi and handed me my purse which contained €125. As in all walks of life there are honest and dishonest.
I had a taxi man drop me home when I had lost my wallet. (Many years ago). He was happy enough for me to post the fare to him...more fool him!!!

Only kidding, I did post it.

Who ever said that crime doesn't pay?

This country is terrible, when it comes to dealing with crime...

Our judicial system fails us regularly, by letting criminals (many repeat offenders) continue to walk the streets, while those of us who obey the law, remain their potential victims.

Our Government are equally bad, failing to legislate for minimum sentencing, or the three strike rule, appropriate punishment for dealing with teenagers etc.

Last edited:
Repaying back the passengers was not an option since most probably could not have been identified, especially if they paid by cash. Likelihood is that any credit card transactions (especially once off) would have been deleted by the Payment Provider after 12 months to remain within PCI compliance rules. Hence identifying the customers would be almost impossible

NTA did a good job in bringing this to the surface and in prosecuting the guy but their hands are tied by the law and the maximum fine that can be imposed is €5k. In effect, he got a suspended sentence.

it is worth reading the NTA stats on SPSV Compliance in 2019. They
  • Carried out 196000 checks
  • Issued 1600 Fixed Notice penalties (doing the maths, that would come to around €75k in fines)
  • Issued 257 prosecutions
So it is a pretty well regulated industry.

• Issued 1600 Fixed Notice penalties (doing the maths, that would come to around €75k in fines)
I complained to the NTA once about a taxi driver who had a full boot and didn't have space for my suitcase in the airport.

NTA issued him with a penalty of €25 and got back to me all within 10 days. I was quite impressed.

I complained about a taxi spewing out exhaust.
They got back to me and told me that they had called him in and told him to fix it.
Or that they had told him to fix it and bring it in for an inspection.

Brendan

Yeah, fair comment @Sue Ellen , Mea Cupla, that was disingenuous to Van driver and his comment, and I take that back. As some one who works on the motor industry, it’s not nice to be tarred with the same brush as the few who ruin it.

Fair dues LS400, its not often people do that on AAM, takes guts :)

It's also disheartening for us honest taxi drivers,who don't go the long way or bump up fictitious extras who to some extent get tarred with the same brush.
Taxi drivers as a cohort are no more or less honest than plumbers or accountants or barbers or solicitors or street sweepers or doctors. That is unless you believe that those who come from a more privileged background are morally superior. Given that this is a republic and not Victorian England I hope few people in this country do hold that view.

Repaying back the passengers was not an option since most probably could not have been identified, especially if they paid by cash. Likelihood is that any credit card transactions (especially once off) would have been deleted by the Payment Provider after 12 months to remain within PCI compliance rules. Hence identifying the customers would be almost impossible

NTA did a good job in bringing this to the surface and in prosecuting the guy but their hands are tied by the law and the maximum fine that can be imposed is €5k. In effect, he got a suspended sentence.

That's what happens when the regulation isn't done by your mates, like in Medical and Legal industries (particularly the latter).

I see that they are still coming down hard on taxi drivers

A taxi driver has been fined €300 for charging a passenger more than double the standard fare after collecting her from Dublin Airport.

He had two prior convictions for taxi regulation offences for operating a meter without moving and failing to link his details to a vehicle.

Are taxi meters still calibrated and sealed? I'm just wondering if the old-school sealing still provides useful protection in these days of wireless and bluetooth access to just about everything.

He's been found guilty and convicted of a crime in relation to operating a taxi but is free to continue on his merry way & pick up passengers. Where is the actual line here for these judges?

Are taxi meters still calibrated and sealed? I'm just wondering if the old-school sealing still provides useful protection in these days of wireless and bluetooth access to just about everything.
Are meters calibrated and sealed...Yes and Yes.
Is there wireless or Bluetooth access to the meter...No and No.

Back