Taxi driver who scammed 270 passengers keeps his license despite Garda objections!

The article cites the theft was carried out using a 'remote control'?
That brand of meter was recalled from all the drivers who had it installed,and the remote access removed.
AFAIK It was the only type of meter that did allow this access,but not anymore.

That brand of meter was recalled from all the drivers who had it installed,and the remote access removed.
AFAIK It was the only type of meter that did allow this access,but not anymore.
You'd wonder about what kind of validation process Applus go through to ensure that approved meters don't have any external connection.

You'd wonder about what kind of validation process Applus go through to ensure that approved meters don't have any external connection.
You could have a read of their blogs or ask them yourself. They develop some pretty advanced testing equipment.

Just to inform you,the remote control in this case just added €1 extras in increments.This is exactly the same as me pressing button 4 on my meter.(valid extras are extra passengers,booking fee).
The 'scam' was that the driver had the remote hidden in the arm rest and could add extra €1s without being seen to touch the meter and alert the passenger that something was going on.
If passengers understood the charges on their receipt,and actually asked for a receipt,they would easily have seen that they were being overcharged on the extras.
There is no other way to manipulate a meter ,so if passengers asked for the receipt,they could query the padded extras on the bill.

Hi vandriver

But most of us don't take taxis often enough to understand the charges.

So if I get a receipt, I wouldn't know how to check it.

Certainly I wouldn't argue over a €1 for extras. But what happened the guy in this most recent case, is that he doubled the fare.

Brendan

In the most recent case ,the taxi driver was unfortunately in the throes of a heroin addiction and his actions were driven ,I suspect,by desperation for money.
He didn't tamper with the meter,he turned it off and thought of a number.

How Irish taxi fares work

Daytime

Initial charge 3.80
Possible extras 2.00 if booked(app or phone)
1.00 per extra adult passenger .
There are no other extras.

Then 1.14 per km up to 15 km journey,then 1.50 per km after.
There is a substitute charge of 40c per minute if the taxi drops below 21 kmh.

Nighttime

There are no charges for airport pickup or luggage.

You could have a read of their blogs or ask them yourself. They develop some pretty advanced testing equipment.
Thanks, some interesting details there.
Just to inform you,the remote control in this case just added €1 extras in increments.This is exactly the same as me pressing button 4 on my meter.(valid extras are extra passengers,booking fee).
The 'scam' was that the driver had the remote hidden in the arm rest and could add extra €1s without being seen to touch the meter and alert the passenger that something was going on.
If passengers understood the charges on their receipt,and actually asked for a receipt,they would easily have seen that they were being overcharged on the extras.
There is no other way to manipulate a meter ,so if passengers asked for the receipt,they could query the padded extras on the bill.
I suppose I'm wondering they they can evaluate how any particular device is going to work in the longer term. There is obviously some kind of interface on the meters, whether wired or wireless, to allow them to be reprogrammed for price changes. I'm wondering how they can look at any electronic device, and confirm that there is no wired interface available that would allow communication over Bluetooth or wifi or LORA type networks or whatever. How can they be certain that there is no interface, whether through a clicker like the case mentioned here or a phone app or whatever.

I suppose I'm wondering they they can evaluate how any particular device is going to work in the longer term. There is obviously some kind of interface on the meters, whether wired or wireless, to allow them to be reprogrammed for price changes. I'm wondering how they can look at any electronic device, and confirm that there is no wired interface available that would allow communication over Bluetooth or wifi or LORA type networks or whatever. How can they be certain that there is no interface, whether through a clicker like the case mentioned here or a phone app or whatever.
It's very easy to confirm the presence of wired connectors when you have the device open. Then, if you know what you're looking at you will know whether the device has an antenna or a chipset that provides wireless communications. The majority of consumer electronics is made up of off-the shelf components, know enough about the components and confirming all the above is easy.

It's very easy to confirm the presence of wired connectors when you have the device open. Then, if you know what you're looking at you will know whether the device has an antenna or a chipset that provides wireless communications. The majority of consumer electronics is made up of off-the shelf components, know enough about the components and confirming all the above is easy.
And if it's not an off-the-shelf wireless component?

And if it's not an off-the-shelf wireless component?
It will still require an obvious antenna and it would push the cost of the meter to to the point where no one would buy it. You can buy RF units in surface mount packages for 40c each over the counter in Ireland, manufacturers will be paying significantly less in bulk. Costs to develop new silicon start at around $20 million, and that's if you can find a facility with the capacity to take on new work.

Back