Tax-free vouchers can be given by employers increased to €1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Burgess

Founder

Small Benefit Exemption​

The Small Benefit Exemption allows an employer to provide limited non-cash benefits or rewards to their workers without the payment of income tax, PRSI and USC.
I am increasing the annual limit provided for in the exemption from €500 to €1,000 and will also permit two vouchers to be granted by an employer in a single year under this exemption.
I propose that these changes will apply in the current tax year, so that additional benefits can be paid this year if an employer wishes to do so.

Last edited:
its a great move, puts more money back in the working persons pocket - if they get the voucher!

Of course there will be some that forget to use their voucher. Doesn't make it a stupid move though.

Stupid move.

The country is already awash with unused (and increasingly unuseable) One4All vouchers.
I hate the One4All vouchers but they're easily used in Supervalue & Tesco so no excuse for not being able to use them. I use any I ever get in Tesco.

its a great move, puts more money back in the working persons pocket - if they get the voucher!

Of course there will be some that forget to use their voucher. Doesn't make it a stupid move though.
Disagree here. A lot of employers give out these vouchers in November/December as a bonus to help cover the cost of Christmas. It's a tax saving for the employer and employee. Retailers benefit from the additional spend also. I dislike One4All but thankfully there are numerous alternatives available now.

Me2you are much better than one4all
We gave these out last year to employees after converting over from One4All, an Irish based company that offer a better selection that were handy to deal with. Might do the same again in 2022 or potentially look at a Allgo or similar

Disagree here. A lot of employers give out these vouchers in November/December as a bonus to help cover the cost of Christmas. It's a tax saving for the employer and employee. Retailers benefit from the additional spend also. I dislike One4All but thankfully there are numerous alternatives available now.
It would be simpler and cleaner to allow employers give employees a tax-free ex-gratia lump sum of up to €1,000 per annum.

Many people report issues in activating them.
One4all was sold last year and it was a disaster from a customer point of view. Bought for the staff. Arrived in January when ordered and paid for in late October. Issued them to staff and awful time getting them activated. Will question whether to use them this year or not.

It would be simpler and cleaner to allow employers give employees a tax-free ex-gratia lump sum of up to €1,000 per annum.
Would be easier but someone not making money out of it if you go that route.
Many companies that worked with One4all cancelled their contracts as they were charged higher commission. I tried to use one last year and a number of stores refused to accept them.

We gave these out last year to employees after converting over from One4All, an Irish based company that offer a better selection that were handy to deal with. Might do the same again in 2022 or potentially look at a Allgo or similar
Are me2you covered under this scheme or tax free vouchers or is it just One4All?

Yes it would be easier and better for employees but I think the original objective of the incentive was to promote spending- Retailers are supported and in turn money goes back to the pot through taxes. Certainly not a perfect system but I am happy to see the amount increase

Yes it would be easier and better for employees but I think the original objective of the incentive was to promote spending- Retailers are supported and in turn money goes back to the pot through taxes. Certainly not a perfect system but I am happy to see the amount increase
I think you are correct. All the more odd to extend it in an inflationary environment.

I think you are correct. All the more odd to extend it in an inflationary environment.
Also a cost of living crises. It's a good way of employers being able to give their employees an additional €500 tax free. Keep them for asking for a 10% pay rise...for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back