Taoiseach: "Possible ban on evictions during energy crisis"

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it ends Sinn Féin will be in government and will bring a permanent ban on 'no fault' evictions. The constitutional referendum on housing is designed to facilitate this. I have made this point before on this forum and some posters suggested that the referendum would only place an obligation on the state to house people, but any legal judgements against the state only confer an obligation to deal with the individual litigant's circumstances. The most significant impact will be on the private sector.
I think that you are absolutely right there, that is exactly what it will achieve and that is its purpose. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

I'm happy to stay in if they do something to reduce the risk of non-paying tenants.
Maybe you could get enrollment in an insurance scheme administered by the RTB, that pays out rent when tenants don't pay, if you commit to longer tenure leasing.
Tenants could register with the RTB and pay a fee to cover the insurance premiums if they want a longer lease.

Side steps the political issue of giving handouts or breaks to landlords although the usual political opportunists would make a big deal of tenants having to pay anything even if the premia were quite small.
This sounds interesting and worth someone exploring.

The idea I had was if you break a long-term contract early, you pay a penalty, say 6 month's rent or balance of remainder of contract. Similar to how energy companies charge a fee if you leave early.
the general movement seems to be toward the right to housing trumping property rights.
I tend to agree with this but don't think they care about housing rights!

A tactic used by totalitarian regimes is to pretend to care about people to achieve their ends. So in this instance, they pretend they care about housing refugees etc, of whom there's a never-ending influx.

The real agenda may well be to just stop people from owning property altogether.
You can say we need more long term supply but where does that come from, you either incentivise the short term supply to lock in somehow long term or create it separately (it's the governments job after all). You can't seize the assets of people who don't want to have their assets tied in long term and never signed up for that to provide long term supply .
Agree with the above.
The problem is all tenancies being treated the same.
Under current legislation, a tenancy becomes long-term effectively after 6 months, which is madness.
It's not truly long-term either. True long-term would mean guaranteed fix term lease (no selling, no relative moves in, etc)

Last edited:
That's politicians for you, none of them have job stability so we are doomed to short term decisions because of their job insecurity and the need for short term gains and results. They are literally all the same in that regard.
Lack of integrity is the issue I think. It's the only issue.
I'm in favour of landlords being able to evict tenants for non payment of rent. That means the Gardai dragging them out the door if necessary. I think 3 months arrears should be enough to allow this to happen.
Here's the contentious but though; I think the same should apply to people who don't pay their mortgage.

Morally and ethically I don't see any difference between the two.
Very much agree.
Perhaps something like the penalty points for your driving licence; once you reach a certain figure you lose it.
e.g 5 points for a late payment, 10 points for a missed payment; warning notice at (say) 30 points, eviction at (say) 50 points.
A good idea.
The tenants don't normally have assets to pay the outstanding arrears the mortgage holder does. The bank can recoup its debt. The landlord rarely can.
I remember the situation c2010. People were staying and wouldn't sell because negative equity. So that was their reason or excuse.

If a tenant is non-paying or partial paying or whatever the case may be, the reason today would be there's no where to move to. I would say you'd count on one hand the number of such people who'd stay in place if they had an option to move. That's the fault of the government.

I see on another thread you said you're leaving, so maybe that's the right decision because the supply thing will take years more, if it's ever resolved. I don't think they want it resolved really (or someone's making money out of it not being resolved).

When it ends Sinn Féin will be in government and will bring a permanent ban on 'no fault' evictions. The constitutional referendum on housing is designed to facilitate this. I have made this point before on this forum and some posters suggested that the referendum would only place an obligation on the state to house people, but any legal judgements against the state only confer an obligation to deal with the individual litigant's circumstances. The most significant impact will be on the private sector.
I completely agree - this is the BIG risk I have feared for some time. It will be politically impossible not to extend the “moratorium” in April (nothing will have changed) and at that stage the government will roll the dice on a constitutional challenge. By the time that makes it way through the system, we’ll have the shinners running a referendum on the constitution re right to housing…..aka permanent tenancy. Time to dial down the responsiveness to dealing with issues in property….

Landlords have been left high and dry. There will be more selling up in springtime. And the landlords association are taking a constitutional challenge to the eviction ban too.

'A right to housing' seems crazy to me, I,couldn't ever see it ever being voted in! Do other countries have that right???

If you were between tenants at the moment - your tenant had left and you were repainting etc. with a view to a new tenancy, what would you do now? Would you re-let, sell, wait until the ban to see if the ban ends?

I would be very surprised in the bigger corporate landlords were members of the IPOA.
So would I. The IPOA is merely a small club of like-minded people. When the constitutionality of laws impacting on property owners was successfully challenged in the 1970s it wasn't the likes of the IPOA who took the case.

As the proposals were announced yesterday, that is the best place to continue the discussion.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back