Taoiseach: "Possible ban on evictions during energy crisis"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got no problem with a short-term ban on evictions, just so long as the government commits to pay any unpaid rent to the landlord!

Failing this, it's just an cowardly and inept government punishing innocent parties for its own incompetence.

We're not far off having a permanent ban on evictions. Has any other country ever gone this route? Even the likes of communist Cuba?

A friend has just served notice on a tenant only last week. She had to let out her home because she moved in with her elderly mother during her mum's final illness. Sadly my friend's mum died recently and her house is now being sold so the proceeds can be distributed amongst all her children. Since her mothers' death I have been begging my friend to serve notice on her tenant, but she was just overwhelmed with grief and all the hundreds of practical tasks you have to do following a bereavement. I am so relieved she has done so because this move by the government was predictable and was predicted by me!

Seems to be a deliberate policy to get people to sell, under a guise of caring about tenant security.
There will be a lot of rushing around over the next few weeks with landlords trying to get their legal notices issued prior to this. If anyone was borderline or anyway unsure on selling about making a decision, its made now.

You can sue the tenants civilly for rent so I guess if they are or will be ie if a student 'credit worthy' your definately ok on that front at least.

You can sue the tenants civilly for rent so I guess if they are or will be ie if a student 'credit worthy' your definately ok on that front at least.

In most cases you'd be far better advised trying to get blood from a stone. And that would cost you a lot less!

Even if you win your civil case (in 2027 or thereabouts!) you'll still have to try to collect from the delinquent tenant.

In most cases you'd be far better advised trying to get blood from a stone. And that would cost you a lot less!

Even if you win your civil case (in 2027 or thereabouts!) you'll still have to try to collect from the delinquent tenant.
Sure, your dead right. But any solvent tenant would repay the debt with the thought of a judgement registered against them. Also wouldn't it affect their ability to access credit? Can you not petition for bankruptcy?
I'm simply not a believer in long term rent to tenants who can't afford to buy, never will be able to and don't want to move somewhere cheaper. Anyone who is although providing a very useful service could be in for a rough ride..

There will be a lot of rushing around over the next few weeks with landlords trying to get their legal notices issued prior to this. If anyone was borderline or anyway unsure on selling about making a decision, its made now.
There's nothing in the article to say it will happen:
“we’ll see how things evolve” over the coming weeks and months.
It's a non-story really put out there to spook landlords into selling. The question is why do they want private landlords gone so badly.

If I was in that position I'd want to do the opposite. Many seem to be caving to the peer pressure / government pressure.

But any solvent tenant would repay the debt with the thought of a judgement registered against them. Also wouldn't it affect their ability to access credit? Can you not petition for bankruptcy?
That whole process will take years and cost thousands with the very real prospect of getting nothing in return.

I don't think there's any great policy behind it. Its just a populist decision IMO.
There's nothing populist about it though? It's not in the interests of either tenants or landlords for landlords to be penalised.

It is deliberate, part of a long-term policy to destabilise the sector, putting pressure on both landlords and tenants.

Agreed - one interpretation of MM's comment that “we’ll see how things evolve” over the coming weeks and months" could be " we'll leave that one until Leo has taken over as Taoiseach in December"! :cool:
During the Pandemic this was brought in with no notice. The energy crisis could be used. Shortage of accommodation etc., A long series of reasons given. It is a very worrying time for tenants and landlords.

There's nothing populist about it though? It's not in the interests of either tenants or landlords for landlords to be penalised.

It is deliberate, part of a long-term policy to destabilise the sector, putting pressure on both landlords and tenants.
Oh, but there is. SF are clamouring for it and there was a representative of a renters group on the radio this morning asking for it to be introduced.
I'm not saying its a good thing mind you.

In relation to your second sentence, why would the government want to 'destabilise the sector'.

Oh, but there is. SF are clamouring for it and there was a representative of a renters group on the radio this morning asking for it to be introduced.
I'm not saying its a good thing mind you.
I wouldn't equate what some political party wants with it being popular. The media is a tool for shaping opinion more than anything else.

As mentioned, there is nothing definite about it. It's unlikely to happen IMO.

The real story is that they want people to think it might, creating panic.

In relation to your second sentence, why would the government want to 'destabilise the sector'.
That's the million dollar question!

I wouldn't equate what some political party wants with it being popular. The media is a tool for shaping opinion more than anything else.

As mentioned, there is nothing definite about it. It's unlikely to happen IMO.

The real story is that they want people to think it might, creating panic.

That's the million dollar question!
Again, why would the Government want to do that?

It was quoted on another thread recently and I think is applicable here and that is

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back