Tallaght

Petal

Any opinions on the various parts of Tallaght? I know that Jobstown etc have a bad reputation, but I don't know too much about the rest. What about around the village or by the square? Or any recommendations on where is nice and safe?

Where were you thinking of buying or living? Just like anywhere else in Dublin these days there are good and safe spots and bad, of course.

The Luas is a bonus along with the square. Some of the not too bad estates are probably Kingswood, Kilnamanagh, Belgard Heights and others.

There is plenty of scope for shopping so no problems on that front.

Is this of any help or did you need any other informaton? Feel free to shout.

Hi there,
I have cousins who live in the Belgard estate and I have spent a lot of time there. I am from the country and think it is a nice, safe area of Tallaght. They have lived there for years now and at times there have been some issues but overall they are very happy.

Hope this helps?

Mark

Thanks guys,

I have heard about Belgard and Kingswood and Kilnamanagh and that they are nice. I am wondering about the likes of Virginia Heights or generally around the square? Also wondering about Old Bawn and Ailesbury (spelling?). Or what is Tymon like? Just in general, as Tallaght is the most affordable place in the South these days, I'm just wondering where the definite no-go areas are or which apart from Belgard, Kingswood and Kilnamanagh are nice ones.

General no-nos include Jobstown as you mentioned, Killinarden, Springfield, Fettercairn. The areas Belgard, Kingswood, Old Bawn, Tymon are ok. Traffic around the Square can be horrendous, so be careful of that. Have you considered D12, specifically the areas that border Tallaght? Greenhills, Walkinstown are pretty ok in my experience.

Thanks Maro,

Yes, I'd like D12 and Greenhills, but they don't come cheap either. I'd really like Walkinstown or Drimnagh, not terribly keen on Crumlin, but I'm just trying to widen my options, so that's why I'm also looking at Tallaght.

Belfry, Citywest? I think is great location. This development is only gonna get bigger. Seems as if alot of money is being pumped into this site. Maybe compare Citywest to how Sandyford has built. Nice place to live and in my opinion good investment?

Hi there,

Most of the areas that have been mentioned for Tallaght so far seem accurate except for Tymon. Wouldn't be too keen on it especially with it being so close to the park, a no go area at night time and when they run the carnivals the cars abandoned all over the place is a nightmare.

Don't forget if you can get something affordable close to the Luas it will always be a big selling point or even handy for yourself if you stay there. This thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=19682 talks about a place called Mount Talbot near the Red Cow. Would these be cheaper than Tallaght?

You'd be surprised how localised 'bad' areas can be. There may well be a dodgy estate in one place, but then you find you go five minutes walk down the road and theres a nicer area.

For this reason, some parts of Crumlin (generally the edges on both the kimmage side and drimnagh side are fine but stay away from the middle, particularly near the bangor circle) a are far nicer than some parts of Tallaght, and vice versa, so compare the areas on a more specific basis rather than as a whole. Problem for you will be that the nicer parts of Crumlin are more expensive than any estates in Drimnagh or Tallaght, with Walkinstown dearer again.

The Millbrook lawns area between old bawn and tallaght village, around St. Maelruan's church, is fine. Ballycragh is a council estate which, though its not as dodgy as it once was, is still not great, but take a 5 minute walk down to Firhouse and you're in a lovely area (just demonstrating the point made above).

If you havent already done so, start spending time driving around the areas on Friday and Saturday nights to get the real picture of what goes on.

maro said:
General no-nos include Jobstown as you mentioned, Killinarden, Springfield, Fettercairn. The areas Belgard, Kingswood, Old Bawn, Tymon are ok. Traffic around the Square can be horrendous, so be careful of that. Have you considered D12, specifically the areas that border Tallaght? Greenhills, Walkinstown are pretty ok in my experience.
Hi I grew up in Springfield and have been living in Greenhills for the last 10 years of so and frankly there is no comparison. I would never have considered Springfield a no go area, the opposite in fact.

I think Greenhills Walkinstown have had there day, there are little or no facilities, the shopping centre burned down 4 years ago and has just been left as a derilict site, the local schools are no more local, I'd say 90% of their pupils arrive and leave by coach, the population is an aging one, with very few young families in the area. ( And I know this is petty but old people can be cranks).

The areas you have named as no go are up and coming,with young populations and good communities, great facilites on their door steps and more being put in place as we speak.

If we have the opportunity we fully plan to move back to Tallaght.

Marie M said:
The areas you have named as no go are up and coming,with young populations and good communities, great facilites on their door steps and more being put in place as we speak.

Thats a bit of a rose-tinted view now in all fairness :). Killinarden, Fettercairn, and Jobstown, are all still a long, long way off being safe, quiet neighbourhoods. When a friend looked six months ago you could get a 3 bed semi-d in jobstown for €200k - there is a reason for that.

They are making every effort to improve those areas and provide more facilities, which is all good, but any objective view has to conclude that those areas are still very, very rough. Like Ballycragh, it will take the best part of a decade before any noticeable difference is evident.

E.g. I was in Fettercairn recently, and was shocked by it - I was there for 30 minutes collecting equipment and saw a window being smashed in broad daylight and 2 separate drug deals (actually saw the gear changing hands) in a housing estate. While in Killinarden last year I saw a horse being led out the front door of a house! Just wanted to give a tone of those areas.

I'll grant you that Springfield is not in the same category as these areas though.

No offence intended Marie, lots of places can have pockets of trouble without the whole area being affected as you mentioned in Greenhills. I suspect most people probably wouldnt agree with you however if you compare house prices. Lets agree to disagree on this one.

Well, at least I get a good picture here...
So Springfield might be ok after all... and what about Virginia Heights? I like that they are so close to the buses and the square...
Also, what about Aylesbury in Oldbawn? Seems just soo far out and doesn't have that many bus routes? Any views on that? Also wondering about Balrothery and Castle Lawns/Estate or something like that, close to Balrothery.
All the advice is really appreciated guys!

This house hunting really is no fun, when it should be!!!

hi,
iv lived in springfield all my life and it used to be a great place to live. The problem with it is that there are alot of houses being rented out and being ocupied by various residents who do not give a **** about the place, excuse the expression. There used to be and still is in certain areas of it a real sense of community/ Of all the areas listed namely, fettercairn, jobstown, sundale parade, etc... springfild is still proberbly the best.
any particular questions about the area feel free to ask.

Thanks for the offer, I will ask more if I come across a property there I like...

OhPinchy said:
Thats a bit of a rose-tinted view now in all fairness :). Killinarden, Fettercairn, and Jobstown, are all still a long, long way off being safe, quiet neighbourhoods. When a friend looked six months ago you could get a 3 bed semi-d in jobstown for €200k - there is a reason for that.

They are making every effort to improve those areas and provide more facilities, which is all good, but any objective view has to conclude that those areas are still very, very rough. Like Ballycragh, it will take the best part of a decade before any noticeable difference is evident.

E.g. I was in Fettercairn recently, and was shocked by it - I was there for 30 minutes collecting equipment and saw a window being smashed in broad daylight and 2 separate drug deals (actually saw the gear changing hands) in a housing estate. While in Killinarden last year I saw a horse being led out the front door of a house! Just wanted to give a tone of those areas.

I'll grant you that Springfield is not in the same category as these areas though.
Your right actually, there can be some dodgy goings on in the areas named, I get a bit defensive of Springfield, (must be from years of jokes about being from Tallaght) House prices can be a reflection of a decent area, although in some like D12 its just how close to the city centre it is.

To answer someone elses post, yes Virginia heights is quite nice (all Semi D's) as is Raheen.

Hi guys, more questions

What would Oldbawn be like? Aylesbury in particular. There's a few nice houses out there, it just looks so awfully far away from decent buses - I know the 49 and that bus goes via Gibraltar to get into town...
How long would it take to walk from up there to the Luas, any ideas? ANd overall is the area nice?

Hi Petal,

AFAIK Aylesbury is quite a nice estate despite the fact that they are generally Brennan & McGowan houses. Would imagine it takes approx. 15 mins to walk to Luas.

Are places like Kilnamanagh or Kingswood too dear for you to invesgiate?

Last edited:
Aylesbury is ok..........know some people who used to live there and didnt have a car & seemed to get on ok with the buses.
Still think Aylesbury is overpriced based on the age of the houses etc.....think houses are going there for about €300k now.

As for citywest - don't fancy it much.......think it is always nicer to live in a village setting (ie like a small community that has built up within the city) rather than in a big block of apartments in the middle of nowhere (or in this case, in the middle of a business park)

Crumlin is a good area now & I know a number of people who have bought there recently.......used to be not such a great area but things have changed.

good luck

Thanks for all the answers guys, I'd love Kingswood, but there is no houses on sale there or extremely rarely and they've become quite expensive, same applies to Kilnamanagh. I don't want to go over the 381,500 stampd duty cut-off and both places for 3-beds go usually for more than that.
Not sure I'd fancy Citywest either, too far out and Crumlin - again it has become very expensive, even more so than Kingswood and Kilnamanagh and the houses are usually tiny. I've been looking in Drimnagh for a while now and the houses are so small and so overpriced that we've decided to look out in Tallaght. And old houses don't put me off really, quite the opposite. Most of the time they're way more solid and sturdy then these new houses where you can hear your neighbours flush the toilet!

Back