Mount Talbot @ The Red Cow

madmoe

Hi there guys,
We are two first time buyers and are considering buying an apartment at Mount Talbot located beside the Ibis hotel at the Red Cow. What is the general feeling about this location? Has anybody bought here and if so have you any experiences to share?

All the best,
M

this area is only good for buying a car, or some diy products. unless you like looking at traffic and large roads, there are no amenities in the area

This development is a 15 minute walk to Clondalkin village which has shops/ banks/ schools/ restaurants and it's across the road from the red cow luas station, there's a lot of work going on around the area at the moment but I'd say it's got good potential.

I'd also say this place has potential. It's got as many ammeneties as many of the sprawling estates all over the city and surrounding commuter belt-ie, not many. It does however have direct access to Luas which will have you at the Square in no time flat and in town fairly fast too. If you're from the south and need to access the N7 it's a pretty good spot. I would try my best to get an apartment that does not front onto the Red Cow Roundabout itself as it might look a long way down at the moment but when it becomes a 3 stacked junction with elevated lanes all over it, it may seem a lot closer to your balcony!

The area is a bit untidy at the moment but the M50 upgrade (including the Monastery Road Bridge over the N7) should result in a much tidier area. Hopefully some of the other land with car sales on it will realise it's value being right beside the Luas and will be developed into mixed use, medium rise.

Incidentally, how many storeys are these Mt. Talbot apartments? Is there a website?

When you think about it really all it has going for it is the Luas and there will have to be a fair bit of disruption with the spaghetti junction affair that they are going to set up. How far from the noise of the traffic would you be?

You mention the Square. Are the apartments that are for sale there any dearer? Seems like a more convenient spot and saves on Luas fares back and forth.

sueellen said:
When you think about it really all it has going for it is the Luas
That's more going for it than a lot of places people are buying in to be fair. Most people who commute to town would give their right arm to be within walking distance of a rail corridor. Maybe this place represents good value now because it is perceived as being in a dead zone. but could easily improve as the rest of the land besdide the ibis is developed. Maybe a bit of a gamble I grant you.

sueellen said:
Seems like a more convenient spot and saves on Luas fares back and forth.
If the OP is commuting to town then a monthly Luas ticket will cover that zone too, it depends on the OP's circumstances. I very much doubt an apartment in Belgard sq will be the same price.

I can see why folks would find this development undesirable at the moment, being in the corner of the two busiest roads in Ireland and very close to industrial estates and so on, but I'd still see potential there as the rest of the land is developed. A friend of mine liveds in a high rise beside the A57 in Cologne and it's great-right beside the tram and dead handy for a quick exit out of town on the Autobahn at the weekends! You have the Red Cow as your local, so at least it's got a pub within walking distance ;-) There is also a nice stretch of parkland/greenspace right outside your door to go for a stroll or walk the dog or whatever.

Hi,

I live out this direction so have a fair idea of what's available and also use the Luas daily. Depending on the price difference the Square seems the better option but that's only my tuppence worth :)

P.S. If the Luas is out of action (during times like €10m repair works etc. :)) its hard enuf to get to/from Red Cow.

When I was growing up in Newcastle all the buses (51, 68, 69 anyway) ran down the Monastery Rd or Naas Rd past the Red Cow (the roundabout wasn't there!). Do they not still run that way?

Hi all,
Many thanks for all the feedback, it is much appreciated ;-)

The apartment that we are looking at is on the third floor (there are 5 or 6 floors in total). It is not facing onto the red cow roundabout. Instead it faces the back towards the area opposite Park West (not sure what this is called). There is a nice green area at the back that we have been told by the estate agent will not be developed on. It is pretty small so I would hope that this is the case and the area will remains fully green.

I have been looking at apartments around The Square and they are a lot more expensive in comparison. We had thought of there because it has more amenities closer by as well as the LUAS but the prices reflect this too. Additionally the place in Mount Talbot was a cancellation and we are getting it a good bit cheaper than the others that were originally sold there.

All the best,
M

madmoe said:
There is a nice green area at the back that we have been told by the estate agent will not be developed on.
I saw that on the aerial photograph but don't believe a word an estate agent tells you! Having said that, the development plan map indicates that it's to remain as parkland, at least until 2010 anyway ;-) See

Yes, true not to believe a word they say! Do know if the upgrade of the M50 will bring the road any closer than it already is? I think it is the space in the middle that they are going to use to create the new lanes rather than build lanes outside the existing ones?

You guys are a fountain of information! I am recommending this website to all my mates ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

madmoe said:
Do know if the upgrade of the M50 will bring the road any closer than it already is?
It appears the works will consume some of that parkland just east of your apartment block. Toggle between P21 and P22 on , seen from just north of you block looking towards the roundabout. Note how the boundary wall moves closer to you! Page 66 of outlines the visual impact of the scheme. These are large pdf files so only attempt to download if you're on broadband!

"Additionally the place in Mount Talbot was a cancellation and we are getting it a good bit cheaper than the others that were originally sold there"

Sounds too good to be true. Would a visit to Planning Dept., SDCC near the Square be worthwhile to have a chat with them and get the full details of what's intended for the area. I understand they are quite helpful. If you can't afford the time (their hours are very restricted) you could try calling them and see if that gets you anywhere.

I am defo gonna give them a call at least and will try to get down if possible.

Thanx for that, may be well worth having a chat to them.

M

Spoke to a nice person on the telephone in SDCC and she advised of the opening hours. Am off to see them on Friday morning for the low down on how the upgrade to the M50 will affect the place at Mount Talbot.

M

We bought a 2 bed apartment in Mount Talbot in November, we're blissfully happy there. Beautiful apartments, fantastic view of the city - we can see from the mountains to Howth hill, to Blanchardstown, the airport, Phoenix Park, never get tired of it. On New Years Eve, we stood on our balcony and could see fireworks all over the city, it was amazing! The Luas is directly across the road, bus-stop outside the door. Last stop for the nitelink right outside. My boyfriend works in Ballsbridge, and gets there in 1 hour by Luas and DART and no waiting in traffic. Our apartment is already worth €25,000 more than what we paid for it. Clondalkin is a walk away, with some great pubs, restaurants and shops. Liffey Valley and the Square are ten minutes drive away. Secure underground parking there as well. The building and grounds are well maintained. Loads of bins in the carpark for normal rubbish and recycling. Anyone I've met in the complex is really happy there. They are selling fast though, and the on-site office is gone since last week, which would make me think that they're nearly all sold. The only thing about the apartments that face the green, just check if they get the sun at all? I know that the M50 will come closer to the apartments, as there's some parking spaces outside that I've heard will be taken away, but I doubt if that will make any major difference - I can't wait for summer, there's nothing more satisfying than coming home from work and looking out on the M50 and Naas Road and seeing everyone else stuck in traffic. In the summer I'll be having my dinner on my balcony with a glass of wine, watching the traffic and laughing because I'm not stuck in it! And I hope you will be too - I'd thoroughly recommend Mount Talbot, I love living there xx

Hi Serena,
WOW, sounds like you are very happy there! I've moved in recently and its been happy days so far, I am so gald to have bought in Mount Talbot. The LUAS is a God send, do u know where exactly the night link stops?

We bought an apartment at the back of Highgrove on the 2nd floor and like you have really cool views, we can see all the way to Howth during the day and the lights at night are pretty darn cool at night!

Mark

madmoe said:
Hi Serena,
WOW, sounds like you are very happy there! I've moved in recently and its been happy days so far, I am so gald to have bought in Mount Talbot. The LUAS is a God send, do u know where exactly the night link stops?

We bought an apartment at the back of Highgrove on the 2nd floor and like you have really cool views, we can see all the way to Howth during the day and the lights at night are pretty darn cool at night!

Mark
Hi Mark,
the 51 nitelink route was designed by a sadist. It takes nearly an hour to get to monastery rd via ballyfermot and around several magic roundabouts. The nitelink to rathcoole will drop u at the red cow - but it only goes at about 1or 1.30 and 3ish. Does the luas still do the late night service?

Luas outside your door great but alot of the apartments are quite close to the busy road also it seems pricey. Take a look at Parkwest. Quite near but cheaper and quieter with lovely finishes

Back