Switching electricity providers this year?

Wihile I was getting that, approx 10 days ago, on Bonkers - I made minor amendments to usage estimates for both fuels, and now In setting an offer from Flogas as being the best (it includes a fixed rate deal and €300 cashback, so a net saving of circa €170 over the year).

Ragdal's question about whether others will reduce their rates, given the reduced cost of gas and power on wholesale markets, has also been on my head, but then I wonder if I might end up waiting a few months, given there's no pressure on supplies to drop prices (and miss our on my Flogas discount, in the meantime, during what's likely to be the most expensive months of the year etc)
Interestingly, if I have read the terms correctly, while FloGas is fixed price, you can end it early by repaying any cashback offer and paying 50 euro cancellation.
So if others drop prices dramatically you just switch again.

My contract with EI ran out too, but I seem to be still getting roughly 8% discount with this description in my latest bill - Your Savings(Dual Fuel/DD/Online Billing)

My thinking was I'd stay out of contract and see what other offers may appear over the next few months, if any.
Not much point locking in to another 12 month contract for the sake of a couple of %.

Am I right? Or is the EI offer on top of the discount for Dual Fuel/DD/Online Billing?
Mine is electricity only, hence the difference presumably.

Me too. It's almost as if they want to make it so difficult to claim credit refunds that some people won't bother... :confused:
Revolut have nearly 2m customers in Ireland.....I could imagine there are people in their 20s without even a bank or credit union account anymore. Where do they lodge a cheque?

Out of contract with EI yesterday and they will put me on their standard 8.5% discount. The 'loyalty' discount is 10% which I refused. For 1.5% I will wait to see how prices/discounts go before locking into a new contract.

Interestingly, if I have read the terms correctly, while FloGas is fixed price, you can end it early by repaying any cashback offer and paying 50 euro cancellation.
So if others drop prices dramatically you just switch again.

Now that does make it more attractive - albeit, I'm not sure how often I'd be rechecking rates, if I'm being honest.

I'm going to log on to Bonkers later, and go for it.....

Out of contract with EI yesterday and they will put me on their standard 8.5% discount. The 'loyalty' discount is 10% which I refused. For 1.5% I will wait to see how prices/discounts go before locking into a new contract.
How much would the 1.5% save you a month??
I presume if you renew and a better offer comes along in a couple of months it will only cost you €50 to break out

Out of contract with Energia today. We had 41% discount which was brilliant. Not sure how a previous poster is remaining on that rate out of contract. I rang them and the best they would do is a 10% unit discount price, bringing it down to .40. Flogas called to the door and offered .39 fixed rate plus €150 cashback so we switched to them. Still within the 14 day cooling off period so am still wondering what's best to do. If rates fall and we want to switch again during the year we'd end up paying €200 to Flogas (€50 break out fee and their cashback).

Flo Gas dual fuel plan offers a €300 cash back / welcome bonus that will be credited to your account after the 14 day cooling off period, the early exit fee only states €50 each for gas and electric, I can’t see any mention of the €300 having to be repaid.

Has anyone left after getting the €300 cash back / welcome bonus without having to repay it ?

Last edited:
While reading the (London) Times on my phone this morning an ad popped up from Electric Ireland offering me €150 to switch to them. I clicked the link, but nothing uploaded; later when I went on to the EI website on my laptop I couldn't find any reference to a €150 bonus. :confused:

I haven't been searching for a switch as I still have a few weeks remaining with my current supplier before I start to shop around.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I wonder was it an old advertisement that for some reason popped up, or perhaps it was targeted at EI's Northern Ireland customers?

While reading the (London) Times on my phone this morning an ad popped up from Electric Ireland offering me €150 to switch to them. I clicked the link, but nothing uploaded; later when I went on to the EI website on my laptop I couldn't find any reference to a €150 bonus. :confused:

I haven't been searching for a switch as I still have a few weeks remaining with my current supplier before I start to shop around.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I wonder was it an old advertisement that for some reason popped up, or perhaps it was targeted at EI's Northern Ireland customers?
same happened me yesterday

Flo Gas dual fuel plan offers a €300 cash back / welcome bonus that will be credited to your account after the 14 day cooling off period, the early exit fee only states €50 each for gas and electric, I can’t see any mention of the €300 having to be repaid.

Has anyone left after getting the €300 cash back / welcome bonus without having to repay it ?
I left Airtricity last September and was hit with the €50 cancellation fee. They haven't tried to claw back the welcome credit as of yet. It wasn't expressly mentioned in their T&C's unlike EI.

Is it worth waiting a bit with the price of wholesale gas at lower levels than pre Ukraine invasion prices?

I know they hedge but that doesn't seem to upset going up.

Switched Elec/Gas to BGE in Nov 2022 via OneBigSwitch.

Got 33% discount (1 year) on Elec and Gas...
Elec unit price , with discount, incl VAT, is 32.28c /kwh
Gas unit price , with discount, incl VAT, is 9.78c /kwh

Not as good as the 40% i used to get in prev years with Flogas and others... but still...

Back