Switching electricity providers this year?

BrokeBroker

There doesn't seem to be as many/any options?

One provider called "Flo Gas", but the saving is minimal.

I'm with Energia currently and normally Electric-Ireland have great switch over deal but currently, nothing available.

Most folk switch annually to get a saving but is that not in effect this year?

Energy prices have skyrocketed this year for obvious reasons. But it's still worth comparing the different providers' tariffs using the likes of bonkers, switcher, the providers' own websites etc. to find the best deal for your specific needs.

Last edited:
Switching was well worth it when you could get a fixed price contract and a very big discount on standard rates. I got a switcher discount of 39% on standard rates a few years ago, fixed for one year ! Without these two you are at the mercy of the supplier to whom you switch even if there is an initial saving .

As the government provided 200 additional monthly payment this year, when that money is credited to the account of your current provider, does it get switched over if you change provider?

As in, it's assigned through you MPRN number.

Not to the account of the electric provider themselves?

As the government provided 200 additional monthly payment this year, when that money is credited to the account of your current provider, does it get switched over if you change provider?
No, if your account is in credit you will have to seek a refund.

Yeah, it seems crazy that they don't just automatically transfer the money back to the account set up to pay the bill by DD where applicable. Instead the customer has to jump through hoops to get a refund. At least in my experience...
Can you recall which company that was? We were due a refund of in/around €30 and it was refunded by cheque even though we pay by D.D. As far as I can recall it was El Ireland and it came through with no bother.

Can you recall which company that was? We were due a refund of in/around €30 and it was refunded by cheque even though we pay by D.D. As far as I can recall it was El Ireland and it came through with no bother.
Bord Gáis. But I've had the same experience with other utility providers.

Have electric and gas with electric ireland. Can I offset a credit balance on electric against gas account ?

Have electric and gas with electric ireland. Can I offset a credit balance on electric against gas account ?
Yes, but you need to contact them to do it. Theres a contact form on their website, rather than waiting to get through on the phone.

My annual usage is typically about 2600 kWh with a nightsaver meter.

Based on this, including a "welcome bonus" from Flo Gas, I could say 70 euro by switching from Energia.

That 200 euro government credit, was that a one time payment or does it come through every 2 months?

I just paid my last bill and am no longer in credit so getting that refunded won't be an issue.

That 200 euro government credit, was that a one time payment or does it come through every 2 months?
The credit will be paid in 3 instalments of €200. The first payment will be made from November 2022. The second electricity credit will be made from January 2023. The third will be made from March 2023.

Got 10% of the std rate with Energia. Not as much obviously as other years. Still something I suppose..... better than nothing.

i have 41% but the years contract ends start of february. The cost of my electricity will go through the roof then.
I'm in the same boat, except my contract just expired. I was looking at Electric Ireland but the standing charge is about €100 more expensive. I am going to ring Energia and ask for a discount for another 12 month contract...

I'd also be interested to know if you get a better offer from El. Ireland, over the phone - my contract expires in a few weeks time.

Electric Ireland sent me this offer(dual fuel) by email, but didn't look great tbh:

Staying on the EnergySaver plan is simple

If you are happy to continue on the EnergySaver Price Plan on a new discounted rate of 10%, simply click on ‘Sign up now’ below and we'll do the rest.

• Sign you up for another 12 months on a discount of 10%**
  • Continue to pay by direct debit and receive your bills by email

Last edited:
Let us know
I got the new customer discount of 10% (direct debit, online billing) and they have backdated the new 12 month contract a few days. Nothing else.

I have renewed with Energia even though the unit price is slightly higher because I use well under the national average and I prefer to have a lower standing charge. If they increase it within the next 14 days I will be revisiting my decision though.

I also have credit in my account from the last government handout and didn't want the hassle of claiming it, even though I haven't looked into how to do it at all.

By ringing your provider and mentioning you were considering a change, do they sometimes offer incentives to stay?

Lower unit rate?

Discount etc?

I'm in the 14 day cooling-off period currently before my contract renews with Energia.

Back