Sweets you loved as a kid

Anyone remember the oval shaped Rolos called Rovals? Yummy!

Like ZZTop, I loved Trigger Bars also. And I HATED Macaroon Bars!!!!!!! :eek:

not sweets, but I saw Cadet Orange in a rural shop last week. The memories came flooding back

God, (not you, Pete!), I remember those ads so well. The bottles of Cadet marching along in army fashion. I can still remember the jingle...

Cadet, Orange Cadet, Orange Cadet, Orange Cadet.
Cadet, Cola Cadet, Cola Cadet, Cola Cadet.
Cadet Lem-on-ade. Cadet white lem-on-ade.
Cadet Lemon soda with lime, Cadet lemon soda with lime!!!!!

Life was full of meaning back then............ Probably the reason I joined the F.C.A. ;)

indeed Lex, I got all nostalgic seeing the little round bottle again after so long...

I was with someone who never had the pleasure of Cadet (as he lived abroad) and I am sure he wondered why I was reminiscing so fondly about a bottle of orange !!!!!!!!

indeed Lex, I got all nostalgic seeing the little round bottle again after so long...

I was with someone who never had the pleasure of Cadet (as he lived abroad) and I am sure he wondered why I was reminiscing so fondly about a bottle of orange !!!!!!!!

If ever you're in Cork, Pete, you'll have to try Tanora. :)

[broken link removed]

Peggys Leg is the one. Had the most wonderful flavour. Anybody know where to get it. Have tried many of the shops selling from the jars etc. no luck.

Ok I'm really going to throw in a curve ball. On summer holidays to my grandmother in Yorkshire I used to love this . However it was never available here until I saw it in Tesco last year. And while it's 48p in Tesco UK it's a whopping €5 in Tesco IRL. They only had it in the once and it didn't taste quite the same. However now, through a family connection I can get it from Sainsburys I think it is in Newry and yes, it does still taste the same as I remembered. :D

Incidentally back then Opal fruits weren't available here and they were another thing I used to bring home from the holidays. The orange one was always the best.

Have to say I miss Spangles - consistency and shape of Tunes, but fruit flavoured. Also, Pacers - consistency and shape of Opal Fruits/Starburst but mint flavoured.

I still buy Parma Violets in NI whenever I can - have never seen them in the republic.

What about Cherry Lips - are they still around?

Lex - I was in Cefalu in Italy during the World Cup in 1990 having a drink in a beachside bar whilst watching an afternoon game and a young Cork boy returning from the bar informed his Dad in a loud voice that they didn't have Tanora !

Farmer Brown crisps
Jaw Breakers
Pack of rainbow chewing gums

Dracula ice-pops
Angel ice-pops
Red devil ice-pops
That aways ice-pops
Percy pigs ice-pops
Oasis (a square coolpops)

Lex - I was in Cefalu in Italy during the World Cup in 1990 having a drink in a beachside bar whilst watching an afternoon game and a young Cork boy returning from the bar informed his Dad in a loud voice that they didn't have Tanora !

Cefalu is an Sicily not Italy!! Great story.

not sweets, but I saw Cadet Orange in a rural shop last week. The memories came flooding back

+1. My communion money was spent in the best way possible - a new putter and a bottle of cadet & bar of Dairymilk (25p each) until the loot was spent. Still remember the daily trek to the shop for my fix. Excellent stuff - please bring it back.

Love Tanora too btw Lex (at least we can agree on 1 beverage!).

Cefalu is an Sicily not Italy!! Great story.

Is Sicily not part of Italy :confused: ? Like Majorca and Spain ?

A shop opened recently near work selling 'old school' sweets from jars. I've been munching my way through satins, apple sours and cola cubes for the past few days.

And, bottles of Cadet aren't that rare these days. I went for a sandwich with my son to a place in Raheny last weekend and they had a choice of 3 types of Cadet.

What about Cherry Lips - are they still around?[/QUOTE]

I was in a sweet shop in Kilkenny today and saw Cherry Lips, I resisted buying them however I bought lots of other things includind the sour apple ones.

Beano's

Does any one remember Beano's which were a cheaper Irish version of Smarties?

What about Wild West bars which were found in selection boxes, small chocolate bars with different fondant fillings and there was a little story about Buffalo Bill or some other hero from the wild west on the wrapper?

Back