Sweets you loved as a kid

shopgirl

Retro sweets are everywhere these days. Just wondering what everyone's favourite sweets were as a child & what memories do they evoke? My favourites were penny chews, especially the banana flavoured ones.

gobstoppers and money sweets (actually had coins in them how dangerous was that!).
straws filled with sherbit that we pretended were pens so could sneakily eat them in class. Sweet cigarettes that you thought made you look cool. Time bars that would break your teeth to chew and macaroon bars!

Frosties !!

Actually bought a roll of them the other day for the first time in about 20 years. Still taste as good now as they did then. Still as lethal to teeth too, I reckon !

Anyone remember 2 by 2's. My sister was devasted when they were discontinued.

gobstoppers and money sweets (actually had coins in them how dangerous was that!).
straws filled with sherbit that we pretended were pens so could sneakily eat them in class. Sweet cigarettes that you thought made you look cool. Time bars that would break your teeth to chew and macaroon bars!

If I remember correctly, were the money sweets in the shape of a red pillow? or am I remembering something else?

Also, alongside the macaroon bar there was a bar with a green or white stripe on its wrapper, I think it was called a signal bar. It had thick chocolate over toffee. It was priced at 2d.

My favourite were the "treasure trail" chewing gums. Each piece of gum had a picture of a place wrapped around it. Khartoum, Odessa, Capetown etc. You had to collect a set of about 26 places. Once you collected the set you sent them off and you won a box camera or football.

There was always one difficult place in the set that you couldn't get. We heard of a shop in Irishtown that had this difficult one. We headed off and got loads of them. I ended up with several cameras and footballs.

Great fun.

Remember the money sweets well , they were called sugar lumps in Waterford.

I was particulary fond of black jacks.

I thought I had imagined the "money sweets" because no one else I talked to remembered them! In the North they were called Penny Mines.

Black Jacks - always my favourite. Also aniseed balls - found a shop recently that does them and they are VERY similar to the old style ones - but not quite the same.

Hated black jacks! Was a fruit salad man myself.

And Dip Dab Sherbert

Or and Wham Bars

Anyone remember 2 by 2's. My sister was devasted when they were discontinued.

Yes, I remember them. Were made by Urneys (later HB Chocolate) in Tallaght? Factory closed down in early 1980s thus discontinuing loads of childhood favourites :(

The 'new' retro sweets are nothing compared to the originals.

Somethings my poor heart couldn't cope with if they came back:

Postman Pats/AppleJacks/Fruit Salad/Black Jack - Penny Mix Bags
Casper or Fat Frog Icepops
5p A-Team Crisps
12p Crunchos (shaped like caveman clubs)
Salt and Vinegar Mini-Chips
Flying Saucers
Bubblegum in a Tube (remember?)
Orange Sparkler Icepops
A Quart of Appledrops from Doyles in Blanch village!
White Mice & Toffee/Choc mice (for sale again, but not the same)
Fizzy Kola lollys (a-ha, but the ones where if you got a 7 in the wrapper, you got a free one!)

My poor waistline wouldn't cope too well either!!! :D

The 'new' retro sweets are nothing compared to the originals.

A Quart of Appledrops from Doyles in Blanch village!

yeah but got help you if you were even a penny short, she'd throw all the sweets back in to the jar! -meanest aul wan around! :mad:

5.4.3.2.1 - not sweets but loved them
dib dabs
cola cubes - actually hurt your mouth eating them
flogs
fruit salads
dan bars
refreshers when they came with tatoos!

I keep meaning to order from this place .. haven't got around to it yet.

I remember a place in Amiens Street, up to a few years ago, that had all of the old style sweet jars on shelves behind the counter. I kept meaning to call in there one day, until one day it was closed for good.

Frosties !!

Actually bought a roll of them the other day for the first time in about 20 years. Still taste as good now as they did then. Still as lethal to teeth too, I reckon !

I remeber two lads at school actually having an all out fight because one had eaten the others frosties!

...Fizz bombs and and mr freeze hmm

Oh Mr Freezes!! Remember if you got one that was so frozen solid it was like a steel bar and your hands would be freezing trying to get a grip on it to eat!

but we always managed! That's what the sleeves of our jumpers were for.

Black Jacks were a favourite as was anything licourice. It had the added bonus of not only being to my liking but also that most other kids I knew hated licourice, more importantly my siste despised the stuff. That meant I could do the christian, decent thing and offer to share, but safe in the knowledge that my generous offer would be turned down.

I still operate that way and still find lots of people don't like licourice.

Anybody remember Peggys Leg also the old penny bars which came in different flavours?

Back