Successfully got AIB to move me from a 3.3% to 3.1% variable mortgage rate.

kiabi1

I've received some excellent advise on AAM so want to pay it forward!

Just want to advise that I recently got my bank to move my mortgage from a 3.3% to 3.1% variable interest rate. I won't name the provider but anyone who has a keen eye on interest rates should be able to work it out.

I was previously on a LTV Variable >50%<=80% with a rate of 3.3%

The steps were:

1. Called the bank and advised considering a move to a different bank for a lower rate. Would they like to make a counter offer?

Informed them that I had a recent verbal valuation which showed my LTV was in the LTV Variable <=50% category. The person I spoke to tried to bustle at first saying that existing variable customers are not entitled to move to a lower LTV variable etc. Informed them that was no problem, that myself and my wife would be moving all banking if that is the case. After brief to-ing and fro-ing on the call they asked me to forward the valuation report.

2. I then got a valuation report from an approved valuer which cost me 100e. Very important that it is an approved valuer and must be on the list of banking approved valuers otherwise it is a waste of money.

3. I then emailed the valuation report referencing the call. I heard nothing back initially so rang everyday for an update for approx 3 days.

4. Around a week later I was advised that the change to the lower LTV variable had been approved.

For anyone who is in a similar position just go for it. No point giving your hard earned money to banks. I put this on the long finger for a while and I shouldn't. It reduced my mortgage term by approx 4 months for little effort.

And if anyone asks was I really prepared to move if they had refused point blank. The answer is YES I would have moved everything!

I know the interest rate is still high relative to other EU countries. But if everyone who can does the same, then at least it creates more incentive for banks to compete and lower their overall rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news. I managed the same (same bank!) earlier this year without even providing a valuation report (we'd paid a lump sum off).

Hi all,

I did something similar lately and received 2 discounted offers from competitors of AIB. My existing rate is 3.4% variable and I have 2 offers of 3.1% from the others. I contacted AIB to inform them of this and that I would be leaving if AIB couldn't provide me with a similar rate. I got a call just yesterday to say that they are not offering any "negotiated rates" to their existing customers. And now from reading this I find out that they are, albeit after providing an evaluation report, which I didn't do. Any advice of what I should do next? should I go back and let them know that I know they are offering discounted rates??

It's not a negotiated rate, just allowing customers to move to a different LTV band.
If they don't budge, move somewhere else. Ideally with a cashback that will cover your legal fees.

I was refused point blank by my the bank a few months ago. I payed off a lump sum over a year ago and with house increases I should be allowed....
Where does treating every customer equally and fairly come into play?

I emailed them Friday seeking clarity and transparency re their policy on moving ltv bands. I'm still waiting on a response.

EBS told me nothing could be done when I told them I would move if they didn't counter offer. I was polite about it and went to branch manager

I rang AIB this morning to ask about changing my rate from 3.3 to 3.1. I followed the above guidelines but they said that I was locked into original rate
as it was part of the contract. I did abit of reading up and I think if you where coming off a fixed rate you have the option to go for the lower rate.

I rang AIB this morning to ask about changing my rate from 3.3 to 3.1. I followed the above guidelines but they said that I was locked into original rate
as it was part of the contract. I did abit of reading up and I think if you where coming off a fixed rate you have the option to go for the lower rate.

No when coming off your fixed rate youl have the option of reverting to your previous ltv or going on to the svr. Movement between bands is not allowed. The op is an exception rather than the rule. Just to add, aib have not replied to my email, one week later

No when coming off your fixed rate you have the option of reverting to your previous ltv or going on to the svr. Movement between bands is not allowed. The op is an exception rather than the rule. Just to add, aib have not replied to my email, one week later

I was informed the same, its tied in when signing the contract... so why should the op be the exception, different customers different treatment? Maybe its to do with the capital and the value of the repayments associated with that... they would risk loosing someone with small repayments versus someone with hefty repayments. I dont know...

After 3 letters to AIB mortgage bank and a valuation AIB also decreased our rate to 3.1% although they initially refused due to us being existing customers.

The op shouldn't be different and this is why I have emailed them on the matter. I have sent a second email to them querying their lack of reply. I'm choosing email rather than phone as I want their reply in black and white for easy reference. I urge everybody else, who this may effect, to contact aib aswel. Strength in numbers is key

The op shouldn't be different and this is why I have emailed them on the matter. I have sent a second email to them querying their lack of reply. I'm choosing email rather than phone as I want their reply in black and white for easy reference. I urge everybody else, who this may effect, to contact aib aswel. Strength in numbers is key
Who are you contacting? Is it a generic mortgage email, or you relationship manager?

This seems like a weird strategy by the bank, to be honest. Presumably they're making money on customers with these mortgages. I've shifted bands since getting the mortgage, due to overpayment, but I'm not good with confrontation and not up for a long fight with the bank; I'll probably just end up switching to one of their competitors.

They've wrote to me...... To summarise they have stated - the banks stance is that movement between bands is not permitted, they then contradict this by stating (in reference to other clients getting reduced ltv rates) some clients have indeed been allowed to move between bands. They say it goes on a case by case basis. They sign off by saying my case has been forwarded to the relevant section as a "business case" for a full review with the potential for being granted the lower ltv. I'll update once I hear back from them

Confirmed AIB.

Come on AIB now is your time to shine! Celticbhoy will be reporting back to this forum with the outcome! To date 1,536 and counting have viewed this thread.

Be the bank that is different from the rest!

I received a letter today saying that my LTV cannot change as it was determined at the state of my mortgage term and stated in my contract.

Back