Stove to replace current open fire place.

Are you actually being serious? They are a byproduct of the incineration of the fuel. Unless you're using some kind of complex gas traps to strip them from the gasses?

Why do you think that they use carbon dioxide in fire extinguishers if it simply burns?
incineration is an industrial process done on a large scale, the problem is if the temperature is too low dioxide is produced

Seriously considering replacing our stove/range with a pellet burner. I hear good stories about these and their ease of use. Need to do some more research though. Drawing coal/storing coal/daily cleaning/ dirt and dust from coal burning/ environment not to mention the cost are some of the factors considered.

incineration is an industrial process done on a large scale, the problem is if the temperature is too low dioxide is produced

You said pollutants were being incinerated in your stove earlier!

It is simply not possible to burn wood on any scale without producing carbon dioxide, burning wood is really: C6H12O6 + 6 O2 = 6 CO2 + 6 H2O

In the context of that study, it should be noted that CO2 is only one of a myriad of pollutants that your stove is not burning!

Are you saying that domestic wood stoves incinerate the harmful gases or they don't? (Note, the answer is they don't!)

Seriously considering replacing our stove/range with a pellet burner. I hear good stories about these and their ease of use. Need to do some more research though. Drawing coal/storing coal/daily cleaning/ dirt and dust from coal burning/ environment not to mention the cost are some of the factors considered.

Have you heard positive stories from people in Ireland? Given our climate, keeping the pellets moisture-free might be an issue.

Would you consider just blocking up the fireplace altogether? I live in a house that was built in the last 10 years, so does not have a fireplace. When we moved in there was an electric fire and fireplace there to simulate the experience, but it was of course rubbish. We removed it altogether and it has freed up a load of space in the living room to re-organise the furniture and not worry about the hearth or having things in-front of the fireplace. I would never go back to having a fireplace, real or artificial, after the experience of not having one.

+1 for blocking it up altogether. Future generations will find it hard to believe that we kept burning solid fuel despite the harm it was doing. Hopefully it will soon be taxed to oblivion.

This article today reminded me of this thread. I was surprised wood burning is worse than diesel cars (in terms of gross particulate matter output), considering all the focus on the damage diesels are doing and the efforts being put into driving them out of existence.

Wood burning at home now biggest cause of UK particle pollution​

Domestic wood burning has become the single biggest source of small particle air pollution in the UK, producing three times more than road traffic, government data shows.

Just 8% of the population cause this pollution by burning wood indoors, according to a separate government-commissioned report. It found almost half of those burning indoors were affluent and many chose a fire for aesthetic reasons, rather than heat.

OP, if you decide to install a stove, and I fully recommend you do, I advise you to use Astonish or a similar stove glass cleaner every day. It makes a huge difference to the hygge and ambience of the room when you can see the flames perfectly.
All the more mesmerising.

Back