Stove to replace current open fire place.

cavanMan

Hi there......we have a open fire place in sitting room and when not in use is plugged with a bag of insulation to keep the draight out.

So was thinking of a wood burning stove, nothing too big just to heat the room when needed and to keep the draught out.

Thoughts would be great.

Hi,

We got a Henley 8kw stove for our sitting room and find it great for heating the room.

Make sure to check Google for reviews as we found some very bad reviews for certain brands.

As far as I can recall when we looked at the 6kw the internal part of the stove was too narrow and small. We find the 8kw just right as if you go too big you will be roasted.

Like an open fire though I hate cleaning it out.

When choosing the size of the stove, be careful not to oversize the stove especially if also undertaking other improvements to reduce the heat loss (e.g. sealing air leakages or adding insulation).

I got a Waterford Stanley stove fitted a couple of years ago and it has really made the sitting room in my draughty old house much more comfortable.

My stove fitter advised me to go for a stove from a long established company which has been in business for a long time. This is because a stove is a very long term fixture in your house and you need to be sure you can source parts in 10, 20 or even 30 years time. I thought this was rather good advice.

Thanks for the replies guys!!

What about in the future, is it possible the government could ban all burning of solid fuel and render the stove useless?

Thanks for the replies guys!!

What about in the future, is it possible the government could ban all burning of solid fuel and render the stove useless?
Theoretically yes they could but I dont think it will happen. A nationwide ban on smoky coal is more likely.

I'm kinda torn on this. Love an open fire, had one for years at home. But I see the impact of these fires and stoves on urban air quality. Currently use an electric fire, but just the light effect part. I'd like to redesign the fireplace and have fire effect of some sort. I'm not convinced they won't ban them. Might be like diesels though. Too many in situ to ban.

I'm kinda torn on this. Love an open fire, had one for years at home. But I see the impact of these fires and stoves on urban air quality. Currently use an electric fire, but just the light effect part. I'd like to redesign the fireplace and have fire effect of some sort. I'm not convinced they won't ban them. Might be like diesels though. Too many in situ to ban.

I'm the same - we have an open fire, I'd say we only light it < 20 times a year as it's just to make the living room cosy and we have gas central heating.
A stove would be better but frankly I don't want to light more fires as I feel guilty about the pollution aspect (even with wood or smokeless coal, you're still pumping out a lot of particulates). I don't see how they can ban solid fuel though, there's still a lot of houses that rely on fires and stoves for their heating.

I would estimate burning any/all solid fuels will be banned in cities in the next 20yrs.

There's a great live air quality tool on air quality.ie which gives you the readings for your area. Try it on a cold but still night. Readings go crazy when there's no wind to carry away the smoke from these stoves.

Read this recently that would make me think twice...

Wood burners triple the level of harmful pollution particles inside homes and should be sold with a health warning

Read this recently that would make me think twice...
with a closed front all of the fumes go up the chimney, it's just hot convection air coming from the stove, I can sea the gases burning through the glass so I would think there is little polution going up the chimney

with a closed front all of the fumes go up the chimney, it's just hot convection air coming from the stove, I can sea the gases burning through the glass so I would think there is little polution going up the chimney
I think perhaps you didn't open the article?

The concern in your own home with stoves is when you open the door to refuel a few times a day it releases particulate matter into the room.

On your second point, the primary concern again is the particulate matter released into your neighbourhood from burning solid fuels. The most concerning 'gas' coming off you burning solid fuel is CO2 and that does not burn, in-fact it's often used in fire extinguishers, so it is going up your chimney into the atmosphere for sure.

Reactions: Leo
Theoretically yes they could but I dont think it will happen. A nationwide ban on smoky coal is more likely.

There's a public consultation document due in the coming weeks on the topic. The fact it is only at public consultation stage means it's not around the corner, but it's one step closer to reality. The ban on even wet wood burning would have a bit of an impact on stoves; you'd need to start buying bags of certified dried wood which I'd guess is not cheap.

Detailed proposals on the move, which will be introduced in phases, will be published by February. The fuels to be banned will include coal, peat briquettes, sod turf and lastly wet wood, following studies to determine the level of moisture in wood that may...

20th December 2020

Hi there......we have a open fire place in sitting room and when not in use is plugged with a bag of insulation to keep the draight out.

So was thinking of a wood burning stove, nothing too big just to heat the room when needed and to keep the draught out.

Thoughts would be great.
Would you consider just blocking up the fireplace altogether? I live in a house that was built in the last 10 years, so does not have a fireplace. When we moved in there was an electric fire and fireplace there to simulate the experience, but it was of course rubbish. We removed it altogether and it has freed up a load of space in the living room to re-organise the furniture and not worry about the hearth or having things in-front of the fireplace. I would never go back to having a fireplace, real or artificial, after the experience of not having one.

As above, the study is clear that the issue is with opening the door to refuel.

When you burn wood and coal, large volumes of pollutants are released, where do you think the pollutants go if you don't think they are not going up the chimney?

As above, the study is clear that the issue is with opening the door to refuel.

When you burn wood and coal, large volumes of pollutants are released, where do you think the pollutants go if you don't think they are not going up the chimney?
they are being incinerated in the fire

they are being incinerated in the fire

Are you actually being serious? They are a byproduct of the incineration of the fuel. Unless you're using some kind of complex gas traps to strip them from the gasses?

Why do you think that they use carbon dioxide in fire extinguishers if it simply burns?

Are you actually being serious? They are a byproduct of the incineration of the fuel. Unless you're using some kind of complex gas traps to strip them from the gasses?
Yes, but what has science ever done for us? :p

Reactions: Leo
Back