Stop the panic buying

The coronavirus is a very temporary situation. I hope people keep that in their minds and know it will end sooner than we know.

I have heard of people not letting their kids outside to play for the next two weeks or limiting interaction with their friends. It's just crazy.
Agree with everything else you said Sunny but I think there has to be limiting of interaction with friends here. That's not to say a total isolation but indoor play dates should be discouraged. Playing outside is considered low risk so that should be fine once the children are taught to wash their hands immediately when they come back in and to follow the other advice given.

you 'not going anywhere' for two weeks is that by the end of the two weeks, you will be told that they are actually stepping up the measures and you will simply be fatigued after already spending two weeks isolating

I live a very quiet life anyway and spend a lot of it fairly isolated probably by most people's standards so it's no real hardship. I work from home on my own but a lot of my work is being cancelled anyway. I wouldn't be in many social gatherings at the best of times so it's more avoiding shopping and coffee shops sort of thing. Going to make me some scones now in a minute :) I also fully expect it to last a lot longer than two weeks, this is the tip of the iceberg I think. Now I'll go for lots of beach walks as usual and I have stocked up on paint and lots of diy/gardening jobs to be done so house will be pristine by the time I'm finished!

Anyway I went to Lidl, not that busy at all, cashier said it was hectic at 8 when they opened but by the time I got there at 9 it was no busier than a normal day.

The aim of the measures announced yesterday is to slow infections so that e.g. 200 people a week catch the virus over five weeks instead of 500 people a week catching the virus over two weeks. The goal is to give health services and society time to handle the pandemic. This wont be over in 2 weeks.

I've a 10kg bag of brown basmati rice, lots of spices, dried beans and pulses, tins of tomatoes etc. I stock up every few months and did so 3 weeks ago (coincidentally) so I reckon I've enough food for at least a month.

I've also got plenty of flour and sugar so we'll have biscuits and cakes and lots of veggie curries, chillies and bean stews. Didn't stock up on bog roll but sure a few feet of garden hose attached to the tap at the sink and you're sorted!

I expect they were planning for the weekend but the large number of cases today spooked them, although almost all these cases were a consequence of cases they already knew about.

I think it was more that the cat was out of the bag (I saw the letter on Tuesday), and some schools may have been considering making an announcement before the official one was made.

Because people are stocking up on prescriptions the pharmacies are only issuing one month supply at a time rather than the possible 3 or 6 months that some people would normally purchase. Because of this restriction we will all be paying more because the 'reading the prescription' fee appears to be kicking in for each month rather than a one off. My charges had definitely gone up yesterday.

Update from Dunnes stores:
We have implemented designated shopping hours for the elderly (60+), vulnerable and family carers between 11am and 1pm daily. In line with government guidance and to protect those more vulnerable, we ask customers with children to avoid coming to the store during these designated hours and to shop at other times.

Shopwatch:
Went to LIDL D3 just after 1. There was a spaced queued of about 20 people waiting outside to get in. Took me about 12-15 minutes to get in as it was a 1 in 1 out system.
ALDI across the road seemed to be operating same system.
Shelves fairly well stocked, eggs back on the shelves. Was able to get some basic pasta and pasta sauces also.

Might be a good idea if supermarkets put triple the price or more on more than 1 of certain scarce items. Flour and pasta shelves fairly empty. For example, Ikg flour at €3.50, 2x 1kg flour €10 each. Would teach a few greedy people a lesson.

Whats wrong with buying 2kg of flour?

I've had to buy far more groceries than usual; I need to feed myself and I no longer eat out.

I don't see anything greedy about it.

Whats wrong with buying 2kg of flour?

I've had to buy far more groceries than usual; I need to feed myself and I no longer eat out.

I don't see anything greedy about it.
Oh dear oh dear, i'm only making the point with regard to people who stockpile buy and leave nothing for everyone else. I just used the flour as an example.

Buying sufficent food is not panic behaviour; if you believe it will be difficult to get food in the short term, it's perfectly rational.

It amuses me that its always someone else's behaviour that's the problem, never our own.

Back