Stop the panic buying

Sunny

I am hearing that supermarkets are operating a one person in and one person out policy because they are so busy. I have heard of full trollies being dumped because people ran out of time in the queues for the check out. There are empty aisles.

What are people expecting to happen? No Country including Italy have experienced shortages in the supply chain. Shops will not be closed. You are not going to starve to death. Can people please calm down? It is must be frightening for people who are struggling to makes end meet seeing these pictures everywhere of people packing up trollies full of groceries that they don't need. They must be wondering what their families are missing.

This is serious but it is not going to lead to the end of the world. Common sense still applies.

What are people expecting to happen
no one knows what is going to happen. This is all new for everyone, so, to a certain extent, I can understand the panic buying. I guess it's the herd mentality - "everyone else is doing it, so I must".

The problem is indeed for people who are struggling to make ends meet but also for the older population who are looking for a few days of goods and will struggle due to lack of stock on the shelves, and the huge increase in people in the shops themselves. Hopefully sense will prevail and this will ease up sooner, rather than later.

no one knows what is going to happen. This is all new for everyone, so, to a certain extent, I can understand the panic buying. I guess it's the herd mentality - "everyone else is doing it, so I must".
Yea, but toilet rolls? Really? Is that at the top of the list?

I saw a video on Twitter of TESCO Clare Hall, showing the shutters down and a queue of people with empty trolleys waiting to be allowed in. As already commented, 'herd mentality'. In this case, more of a 'flock' :rolleyes:

In a bid to limit the spread of the coronavirus the Government has announced a number of new measures "to slow the virus in its tracks and push it back"...

So now we've thousands of people in supermarkets across the country squashed in, panic buying, standing very close to each other, using trolleys, exchanging money, coughing / spluttering / general exchange of things that shouldn't be shared... All in advance of a few thousand people returning from "the races" at the end of the week / start of next week...

I think they would've wanted to make the announcement about schools closure at 9pm Sunday or Tuesday night.
It was 7am Washington time with Leo gave the speech.
Something spooked them into bringing forward their timetable.

Even The Guardian reporting on it... Within minutes of Leo Varadkar’s announcement on Thursday of closures and restrictions shoppers packed supermarkets across Ireland to stock up on toiletries, tinned food, pasta, rice and other products.

Product purchasing restrictions to be introduced by @Aldi_Ireland from tomorrow. Tissues, antibacterial handwash, pasta & tinned tomatoes among the products that will be limited to four items per customer. Follows a similar move from @lidl_ireland today

I think they would've wanted to make the announcement about schools closure at 9pm Sunday or Tuesday night.
It was 7am Washington time with Leo gave the speech.
Something spooked them into bringing forward their timetable.

It was planned for tomorrow, that would have allowed more time for parents to plan, especially as lots of schools were going to be closed on Monday. My guess is the letter sent to principles earlier in the week was leaked too widely so they brought it forward.

Just to add, without need to start another thread - stop the panic selling!

Im hearing of all sorts of markets, from Dublin, London, New York and Singapore, dumping shares like they are toilet roll.

Perhaps a new market equilibrium, or new market currency, is emerging?

It was planned for tomorrow, that would have allowed more time for parents to plan, especially as lots of schools were going to be closed on Monday. My guess is the letter sent to principles earlier in the week was leaked too widely so they brought it forward.

I expect they were planning for the weekend but the large number of cases today spooked them, although almost all these cases were a consequence of cases they already knew about.

Shelves being restocked in my local Tesco express, delivery truck was pulling away as I entered ... bread milk butter and eggs have been purchased. Thank you to the staff member who got the eggs from the crates for me as shelves were still empty :)

I want to go to Lidl this morning for a just a few things, mainly their veg specials this week, but can't face it if the place is crowded. I was going to go at 8 when they opened but then figured some people who are working at 9/9.30 might be going early so figured 8.45 was a better time to try it. Still haven't left now so will go and see anyway.

My simple reasoning for going today is that's me done, I'm staying away from everywhere for next two weeks at least, was stocking up long before now so plenty already in.

I want to go to Lidl this morning for a just a few things, mainly their veg specials this week, but can't face it if the place is crowded. I was going to go at 8 when they opened but then figured some people who are working at 9/9.30 might be going early so figured 8.45 was a better time to try it. Still haven't left now so will go and see anyway.

Let us know how you get on... I'm wondering if the main supermarkets will be mobbed maybe the local shops, butchers etc might be OK.

My simple reasoning for going today is that's me done, I'm staying away from everywhere for next two weeks at least, was stocking up long before now so plenty already in.

I think this is actually one of the dangers on introducing these measures too early. We are only at the beginning of this. Will what was done yesterday help? Maybe. Will it stop it? No. Are we going to be back to normal in two weeks? Certainly not. So the danger you of you 'not going anywhere' for two weeks is that by the end of the two weeks, you will be told that they are actually stepping up the measures and you will simply be fatigued after already spending two weeks isolating.

There is no need for people to completely isolate themselves for 2 weeks. There simply isn't. Avoid large gatherings. Reduce social gatherings. Maintain the highest hygiene possible. Use hand sanitiser. Stay at home if you are anyway ill. Follow the official advice. I have heard of people not letting their kids outside to play for the next two weeks or limiting interaction with their friends. It's just crazy. We will end up with an anxiety or mental health crisis if we continue along these lines....

Back