State Pension 67 in 2021, 68 in 2028

moneymakeover

I see noises in the news about the anger people feel about the increase in age for retirement with 67 becoming the age for receipt of state pension from 2021

and by 2028 to be 68

Is it at all likely these plans will be postponed : is there enough public opinion to sway the decision?

I mention this particularly in light of the upcoming general election

It was but the ones it will affect first are getting closer to that age now so it hasn't affected anybody yet! It was easy ignore it when it was years off having any impact.

In answer to the actual question I would, like you, say that that if enough noise is made it will change. There's also the chance that in order to form a Goverment it might require one side having to agree that the age be brought back somewhat. Will it actually happen? Nah! not in the long term.

It might if 20- and 30-year olds realise how much tax they will need to pay to afford the pension payouts!

Hello,

What happens if you decide to emigrate and permanently go to live in France, can you claim their State pension from age 64?

Hello,

What happens if you decide to emigrate and permanently go to live in France, can you claim their State pension from age 64?

You can emigrate to France and if you contribute to their social welfare system for years you will be entitled to a French State Pension. If you hadn't contributed to their welfare system, then you'll have to settle with the crumbs of a Pension from Ireland provided you have enough SW contributions here.

Moneymaker's post (above) while laudable will probably fall on deaf ears.

When today’s retirees first entered the workforce and started paying PRSI (say 1974) the average life expectancy for a male retiree then at age 65 was circa 11 years. Today it is c20 years. And it’s about 4 years longer for females. That’s a huge increase and a very costly increase. And when you add in free travel, medical card or GP visit card (from age 70), household benefit package etc, it all has to be paid out of somewhere (unless SF found a money tree or plan to rob a few more Banks).
And our State Pension is significantly higher than in the UK/NI.

And our State Pension is significantly higher than in the UK/NI.
Not necessarily - there are various income top-ups, non-cash benefits and the cost of living is less in the UK; a comparison between the amounts of each state pension is simplistic

Vote for Sinn Fein in the upcoming election. Mary Lou has promised to reduce the pension age to 65!

But, they get their GP visits, hospitalisation, prescriptions etc for £10.00 per year - they don't need VHI or Laya.

and who in their right mind, if they have any money at all, would care to rely on the public system, with some waiting lists that would take years for them to be treated or in some cases to be even seen by a consultant.

I have some OAP relatives whose family club together to pay the VHI premium as they can't afford it themselves and are afraid to rely on the public system because they have health issues.

Vote for Sinn Fein in the upcoming election. Mary Lou has promised to reduce the pension age to 65!
SF promise to reduce pension age, abolish property tax, abolish USC, abolish all waiting lists etc etc. That €4m inheritance they got will go far.

I'm surprised this is only coming to the fore now, nobody seemed to bat an eyelid when it first was legislated for. Compare and contrast with our French friends...

I'm surprised this is only coming to the fore now, nobody seemed to bat an eyelid when it first was legislated for. Compare and contrast with our French friends...

i read manyFrench employees, who work in public transport, can retire on full pensions about aged 53, - fairly incredible, but it gets better, the one that topped them all, was Dancers, who are employees of Paris Opera House, who can retire at aged just 42.

and who in their right mind, if they have any money at all, would care to rely on the public system, with some waiting lists that would take years for them to be treated or in some cases to be even seen by a consultant.

I have some OAP relatives whose family club together to pay the VHI premium as they can't afford it themselves and are afraid to rely on the public system because they have health issues.

You're referring to the Irish system rather than the UK, which was referenced above.

i read manyFrench employees, who work in public transport, can retire on full pensions about aged 53, - fairly incredible, but it gets better, the one that topped them all, was Dancers, who are employees of Paris Opera House, who can retire at aged just 42.

Agree, it's incredible and it's also unsustainable. It's more the idea though that the French are making a point of this, before the reform comes in, whereas here we're doing it after-the-fact.

The gap between the state pension and the new retirement age is going to be a problem.

Article today's Irish times

Gap between retirement and getting State pension set to widen
‘It is a scandal. Enda Kenny got to go off with a nice package and he doesn’t have to wait’
The pension age is rising and a growing number of older people are being affected.
The pension age is rising and a growing number of older people are being affected.
Kitty Holland Social Affairs Correspondent
about 9 hours ago

Patrick Heavy (57) works in a factory in Co Cavan. He will have to retire when he is 65 in 2027, but he will not be entitled to the State pension until 2030.
During the three years between his retirement and getting the pension, he will be entitled to Jobseekers’ Benefit. It is €203 per week, while the State pension is €248 per week – a difference of €2,340 a year.
In addition, while on jobseekers’ he will have to prove he is actively looking for work.
“It’s a scandal,” says Mr Heavy. “I am very angry about it. I wouldn’t mind working a couple of extra years but they don’t want people working in the factory whose health is going downhill and what have you. I’m talking about it now because there’s no point talking about it when I’m 65.”

Back