starting a playgroup in a gym.

Hi Ciaraella, thanks for your post, good idea to take the kids to the park but what about the stay at home mum and dad's who would like the opportunity to go to the gym or swim for an hour while the bigger ones are at school? A huge 22 million euro complex has been opened nearby to me recently so surely they feel there is a need for a leisure centre so surely the patrons would avail of it more if there was a childcare service provided. What do you think? I appreciate your advice, thanks.

Hi car, I will try that on Thursday, thats when a lot of people around here get paid and usually do their shopping. Will let you know how it goes, thanks any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

just to add, if this was available in my area, and the price was right I ould definitely put my child in so I could have some me time!

Some places offer discounts for 10 sessions of swimming etc......could you do this to, sort of run it alongside any offers the place itself offers.

also, think about the times of year.....xmas/easter/pats day etc.....great opportunity to do fun things and get the parents looking at what their kids is missing while they sit home getting fat on the sofa!!

Can you combine a gym/swim/childcare for a set fee, or could you target the times when classes are held ie what about the childcare service at the same time aqua aerobics or spinning class is on?

Our local place offers swim/gym and a sandwich and water for workers at lunchtime .......how about swim/gym coffee and a chat afterwards for the mums.

the possibilities are endless, best of luck and go for it.

I know the times are hard at the moment for a lot of people, my own family included, but instead of going out eating and drinking and spending e100 on a night out, me and hubby now swim instead, just to get out of the house and do something together, so there are people who are still doing something.

GOOD LUCK

I do indeed have young children. They are presently with a HSE reg childminder. Because it is a longterm situation I was able to introduce them very gradually to their childminder ( staying myself with them at first for short periods, then progressing to leaving them for short periods etc.) I was also able to get independent references and do an informal background check through people we knew in common. I also met the childminder myself twice before my children ever did. In other words I put a lot of effort into making sure the facility was good, the childminder and staff were good and my children are happy and well cared for. But I wouldn't go to that effort for an hour at the gym when I could just leave them with family.
I agree with you Vanilla but you would be suprised at how many people would be happy with leaving their children with strangers. Lots of people I know use supermarket creches, babysitters at hotels etc.

Hwin1 - there was this facility at Dundrum Gym before it closed down - it was busy any time I passed it!

I was a member of the one in tallaght and before that one in Rathfarnham and it was FANTASTIC.
They charged €7 for 2 hours for 2 small kids.
It was my only me-time for the week.
The gym had a beauticians also and I was able to have a few treatments while the kids were in the creche.

I MUCH prefer walking/running in parks but the weather doesn't always allow it and once the kids reach a certain age they want to get out too and you end up walking zero miles per hour.

Once my older child started monty I was able to run in the park pushing youger one in the buggy....but on a rainy day back to the gym.

When I was training for the mini-marathon I was able to leave little one in the creche while doing the runs with the gym running club.

I think your target market is SAHM or moms on maternity leave with kids under school going age.

GOOD LUCK its a great service....a life saver for me in fact.

to mommah, maz69 and ice, thank you, thank you and thank you. nice to get some positive feedback. I was having second thoughts about whether I should go ahead but now your comments have made me feel I should CHARGE ahead. You have all had some really useful advice and information and I thank you again for sharing it with me and giving me motivation again. Thank you for your time.

Hi Car, have to be honest there wasn't much activity around my local shopping centre on the way home from work yesterday so I will see if the weather lets my survey take place this evening, finish a bit earlier on Fridays.

Try and get a full day in with it somewhere, saturday or sunday or take a day off from work to be able to query your largest demographic, ie, parents with kids. Would seem a small price to pay if youre thinking of making a living out of it. Also try and survey outside creches or national schools. (which is what Id do), you'll get a most parents there.

Ive no thoughts on it either way as I wouldnt avail of such a service, but be careful about CHARGING ahead with a career move based on 2-3 replys on an online public forum. Get your groundwork done first to see if it would work.

Thank you car. I work in a creche and have asked the parents there already. They all said they love the idea.The girls who posted me the other night made me want to CHARGE ahead with the idea, I meant they got me motivated again.I am betwixt and between, we had a serious meeting this morning with our bosses(5) of them came to speak to us and basically told us we are safe until next December but after that they can't promise anything so that too is another factor in my motivation, as you can imagine. Thanks for your help and your time and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks car.

Hi Hwin1

Just to add to the other posts, I was having this exact conversation the other week with my friend who had her third baby in July last year - she was hoping to try and lose some weight (walking isn't doing it for her), but she just can't take the baby with her to her local gym - I'm surprised this sort of facility isn't more available and I certainly think she would avail of it if it was on offer.

That's my two cents :)

M

Thanks muffin1973, it is lovely to be getting all this positive feedback! My brother just lost his job after 15 years so he has decided to help me do all the donkey work, painting, putting in shelving, moving furniture etc.. as soon as we get the right premises. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Hi car, just to let you know, did my survey today between the supermarket and liffey valley, and very cold it was too but I must admit I got a great response so I am going to go ahead and see what premises I can avail of now, wish me luck.

Back