starting a playgroup in a gym.

hwin1

Hi everyone,
Was thinking about opening a playgroup in a gym was doing a bit of research and see only one gym in Dublin has one in Tallaght and its only for 2.5 hours in the morning. Wouldn't you be more inclined to go to the gym if you could take your little one along and have them minded while you worked out. Any comments or advice would be greatly received, Thanks.

Hi Vanilla,
was just in the middle of editing my post, this is my first day to be on this site. Was just looking for some advice meant no harm. How do I delete this message?

Just edit your post. Course then mine won't make much sense, but no worries.

Seriously I wouldn't leave my children into complete strangers for the sake of an hour at the gym ( actually even if I wanted to I don't think my children would let me), so I'm not sure about take-up.

Total Fitness Malahide Road used to offer this facility, and we used it. The childcare provider subsequently closed it down - they're weren't getting enough business.

It worked well for us. We were able to have some time in the gym, and then the 4 of us would go for a swim afterwards.

Total Fitness now offer an hour on Sunday morning for 4 to 12 yos where they have supervised play with exercise equipment - one parent has to remain on the premises.

Thanks tarfhead, have only started my research and am new to this forum, was thinking along the lines of early in the morning, say 7am until 1pm. It would be from ages 3months. Weekends would be different with children split into two or three groups. We would play games, sing songs, tell stories, do age appropriate activities etc... It would only be for parents using the gym facilities. Do you mind me asking how much you were being charged? Thanks.

Hi vanilla, I worked that one out pretty quickly. Tell me do you have young children and did you put them into a creche or nursery and if you did were these people not strangers to you at first? I have all my qualifications and plenty of experience after 10yrs working with children from all backgrounds and a mother of children myself ranging in age from 23yrs to 2.5yrs. I am at present working part time in a creche still but would like to spread my wings a little and was just testing the temperature to find my own little niche. I have full garda clearance and the women that I would have on my team would have the same, no 18yr olds chatting on their mobiles in my group.

Hi vanilla, I worked that one out pretty quickly. Tell me do you have young children and did you put them into a creche or nursery and if you did were these people not strangers to you at first?

I do indeed have young children. They are presently with a HSE reg childminder. Because it is a longterm situation I was able to introduce them very gradually to their childminder ( staying myself with them at first for short periods, then progressing to leaving them for short periods etc.) I was also able to get independent references and do an informal background check through people we knew in common. I also met the childminder myself twice before my children ever did. In other words I put a lot of effort into making sure the facility was good, the childminder and staff were good and my children are happy and well cared for. But I wouldn't go to that effort for an hour at the gym when I could just leave them with family.

Hi vanilla, I fully appreciate you did your homework thoroughly finding your minder but as you say, that is long term and quite a different scenario. what about people sitting at home feeling miserable because of their weight and don't have anyone to mind their child. I know of people that joined a gym and had to cancel their membership because they could not attend as often as they wished due to lack of childcare, I'm sure there are loads of people who would love to go for a work out or swim before work but can't due to trying to drop kids off somewhere first, wouldn't it be nice for them to be able to workout or have a swim, have their child minded while they do so and then drop off their little one and then on to work or what about the people who don't work and would just like to visit the gym or pool in the hope of making a friend, what do you think about that. I appreciate you giving me your time and opinion. Thanks.

Thanks Tarfhead. Were you quite happy to pay this fee, obviously you were but I just think it would be a little expensive for a mum or dad with a couple of little ones, I would have to consider a family special and throw in a cup of coffee for the parent when they were finished or something like that. What do you think? I appreciate your time and opinion. Thanks.

.. would be a little expensive for a mum or dad with a couple of little ones

We were leaving in both children at the time and happy to pay for it but, as already posted, not enough other people used it.

I think the Westwood complexes offer a similar facility.

Thanks tarfhead, but it doesn't seem to be a facility in mine and local surrounding areas. Just an idea, maybe it will take off, maybe it won't but you won't know until you try. I tried another venture but it worked out way too expensive, insurance wise so I thought I might try this. Will keep you posted and If I have any other questions, which no doubt I will, I will be back to seek opinions. Thanks a lot.

Thanks Vanilla, will keep you posted.I don't expect it to be easy, I want to challenge myself and provide a good ongoing service. I must get the right premises, staff, target the right market, I know I have a lot of things to take into consideration but I feel this time of year is the right time to strike. As my mum used to say MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES. Thanks for your time. Cheers.

Thanks Vanilla, will keep you posted.I don't expect it to be easy, I want to challenge myself and provide a good ongoing service. I must get the right premises, staff, target the right market, I know I have a lot of things to take into consideration but I feel this time of year is the right time to strike. As my mum used to say MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES. Thanks for your time. Cheers.

The sun most definitely is not shining in more ways then one. In times of recession, luxury services like gym memberships are first to go.

I'm sure there are loads of people who would love to go for a work out or swim before work but can't due to trying to drop kids off somewhere first, wouldn't it be nice for them to be able to workout or have a swim, have their child minded while they do so and then drop off their little one and then on to work or what about the people who don't work and would just like to visit the gym or pool in the hope of making a friend, what do you think about that.
Rarely happens. Ive been a member of several different gyms, dont think Ive ever seen people attend to make friends.
As for people who dont work? If they aint working, gym memberships arent high on the agenda. And if they do want to visit, doubling the the price with childcare costs would be prohibitive, I would have thought.

If you're determined to go ahead with it, spend a few days outside your local supermarket and conduct a survey of people pushing prams to see if theyed be interested.

Best of luck with it though.

Hi car, thanks for your post. My local gym you don't need to be a member. You can have a swim and sauna for 7 euro, I'm sure the local ladies or dad's wouldn't mind paying an extra 3 or 4 euro to have the little one minded while they indulge!! The unemployed are only paying half the price we are for most things but I will try your suggestion, thanks.

Just my own personal view but I think rather than me going to the gym and putting kids into a creche I'd be more inclined to go walking in the park with kids or play football with them etc, still getting exercise without the cost. Good luck with the idea hwin1 (and I hate to be a doom and gloomer) but I wouldn't be surprised if during these recessionary times there might be a few who will be giving up their gym memberships.

I'm sure the local ladies or dad's wouldn't mind paying an extra 3 or 4 euro to have the little one minded while they indulge!!
maybe, but youre guessing and making assumptions. You can cement those by querying your target audience via surveys. If you stand outside your local shopping centre with several sheets of paper,

Have a big box of lollys and tell them youre not selling anything and ask

"do you go to the gym"
if no > "is childcare one of the reasons"
If childcare is a reason > "would you go to the gym if you could have your child minded, and if so what would you pay up to? 3-4-5-6e?"

If you get a few hundred replys, you should find out whether it would work. cheap enough, and could save you money and effort

Back