Sports people and the vaccine..

joer

It seems that a lot of football, soccer, players are not vaccinated . I think that they should not be allowed to play for either club or country . What do others think . We all know that this virus has not gone away.

Soccer players aren't renowned for their intellect and there's idiots in every walk of life but I'm not sure if they should not be allowed play, except on H&S grounds.

Soccer players aren't renowned for their intellect and there's idiots in every walk of life but I'm not sure if they should not be allowed play, except on H&S grounds.
I know that people cannot be forced to be vaccinated and I'm not sure of the statistics on the spread of Covid within sport in general . But the message that the so called elite of sport should be sending out to the guys, or idiots, that follow them should be in my opinion be , get vaccinated.

Herr Purplemeister - What's a H&S ground? (just doting trying to imagine what it is).

If they aren't vaccinated then they need to be tested every 48 hours, given you can't really socially distance and do the kind of training they do.

If they aren't vaccinated then they need to be tested every 48 hours, given you can't really socially distance and do the kind of training they do.
But they, the sports players are in a different league , pardon the pun. When we not allowed to even shake hands they were allowed to tackle, scrum, fight (one another) and hug sure why would'nt they think that they should decide whether they should take the vaccine or not.
i heard of one soccer player , in England, who is supposed to have said that he was too fit to get Covid . These people are sending out the wrong message and it should be stopped once and for all.

But they, the sports players are in a different league , pardon the pun. When we not allowed to even shake hands they were allowed to tackle, scrum, fight (one another) and hug sure why would'nt they think that they should decide whether they should take the vaccine or not.
i heard of one soccer player , in England, who is supposed to have said that he was too fit to get Covid . These people are sending out the wrong message and it should be stopped once and for all.
Well they were supposed to be in bubbles \ pods, effectively the team was one large family. This was the logic for professionals but here it was extrapolated into 'elite amateurs' which did not make sense to me.

I'm not sure if they are too fit to get covid, but given how fit they are we would expect them to fare better if they got covid than average person.
So from their own personal risk covid v vaccine is probably a close call.
From a practical sense though being vaccinated would be better for the club (and wider society!) in terms of reducing risk.

The clubs would need to be pretty sure of the legal grounds of their case though, what clauses they could rely on both from health & safety and from message\reputational effect.

88%+ of our population is fully vaccinated. Around 50% only of Premiership players in the UK are vaccinated. Professional football players are role models and highly paid individuals; they are sending out the wrong message regarding Covid. Whatever reason given this is a disgrace and I (for one) don't want these over-privileged individuals representing me at international level.

The IRFU must be commended on 99%+ vaccination of its players.

It's their choice the odds on them getting sick from co I'd are probably the same as them getting sick from the vaccine ,especially now that 88per fully vaccinated

There are people working in hospitals and nursing homes that are unvavcinated. There are people going on public transport that are unvaccinated. There are people working in retail, hospitality and every other industry that are unvaccinated.

Why is this even a story? Either make vaccination mandatory or mind your own business. Just because he plays football doesn't make him a role model or an example to be followed. It is mad how young men who kick a ball around a field are expected to set standards for the children of the world.

The science is there. People who choose not to get vaccinated are complete and utter idiots. However, it is still their choice. Until that changes, stop the witch hunts. My friends two parents in their 80's refuse to get vaccinated. They are idiots but at the moment they have the right to be idiots. People lecturing them on how idiotic they are won't make them change their minds.

Reading this would indicate that while not being a witch hunt there are concerns at all levels on this , sporting people are role models for younger people and really need to understand what they also have massive influence that can be used for the betterment of society as a whole.

What can a person do in this situation below?

Interesting to read the original post, the review and then the owners response.

Just because he plays football doesn't make him a role model or an example to be followed.
Sunny with all due respect that is exactly what it does. Premier League footballers are role models whether they want to be or not. They do have an influence on people, primarily young people and they do have a responsibility to be aware of that influence. In fairness to them, most Premier League clubs perform very well in this regard, ensuring their players are aware and act accordingly. Unfortunately in this instance the clubs cannot do more than persuade and it is the players who are setting a bad example. Your friends two parents are not role models so they are not going to have any influence on others in general but Premier League footballers most certainly do and they are acting poorly here.

Reading this would indicate that while not being a witch hunt there are concerns at all levels on this , sporting people are role models for younger people and really need to understand what they also have massive influence that can be used for the betterment of society as a whole.

Nurses are role models. Doctors are role models. Politicians are role models. Parents are role models. Teachers are role models. Anyone that has any interaction with a young person can be a role model. Yet we are not asking any of them that chose not to get vaccinated to explain themselves and to be judged.

There is concern because the media created concern. Started with the news that a few England players were not getting vaccinated and might have to miss the world Cup. Thats what the concern was. Missing football rather than the betterment of society. It spread from there to the media using every press conference to quiz managers and players on their vaccine status and their views on vaccines because the media smelled a story. They are footballers who it now seems are to be blamed for vaccine hesitancy or are responsible for making decisions in the hope that it will influence young people. If a young teenager is not getting vaccinated because an Irish footballer says he is not, the issue lies with the parents of the child not with the footballer.

Sunny with all due respect that is exactly what it does. Premier League footballers are role models whether they want to be or not. They do have an influence on people, primarily young people and they do have a responsibility to be aware of that influence. In fairness to them, most Premier League clubs perform very well in this regard, ensuring their players are aware and act accordingly. Unfortunately in this instance the clubs cannot do more than persuade and it is the players who are setting a bad example. Your friends two parents are not role models so they are not going to have any influence on others in general but Premier League footballers most certainly do and they are acting poorly here.

My friends parents are grandparents to numerous children. Very frightening to think society now places more value on the influence that people on TV have on young people. Sure why don't we just rich famous people teach our kids values.

My friends parents are grandparents to numerous children. Very frightening to think society now places more value on the influence that people on TV have on young people. Sure why don't we just rich famous people teach our kids values.
Are you only waking up to that now? I'm not saying it is right, but it certainly is so.

They are footballers who it now seems are to be blamed for vaccine hesitancy or are responsible for making decisions in the hope that it will influence young people. If a young teenager is not getting vaccinated because an Irish footballer says he is not, the issue lies with the parents of the child not with the footballer.
Well nobody is " blaming " anyone for vaccine hesitancy if you read the article there is concern among the football world.

And if that child was say 18 ? Or the child isn't in a stable home environment.

Marcus Rashford a young man used his fame from football to get school dinners available when schools were closed last year and it went on to him setting up a charity. They have influence

Back