Sports people and the vaccine..

My friends parents are grandparents to numerous children. Very frightening to think society now places more value on the influence that people on TV have on young people. Sure why don't we just rich famous people teach our kids values.
Theres a whole industry now , they call themselves " influencers " and its a multi billion industry.

Nurses are role models. Doctors are role models. Politicians are role models. Parents are role models. Teachers are role models. Anyone that has any interaction with a young person can be a role model. Yet we are not asking any of them that chose not to get vaccinated to explain themselves and to be judged.

There is concern because the media created concern. Started with the news that a few England players were not getting vaccinated and might have to miss the world Cup. Thats what the concern was. Missing football rather than the betterment of society. It spread from there to the media using every press conference to quiz managers and players on their vaccine status and their views on vaccines because the media smelled a story. They are footballers who it now seems are to be blamed for vaccine hesitancy or are responsible for making decisions in the hope that it will influence young people. If a young teenager is not getting vaccinated because an Irish footballer says he is not, the issue lies with the parents of the child not with the footballer
I’m not sure that “role model” is the correct description, fame would probably be a better one. Fame influences. This shouldn’t be surprizing; it always has done.

If you are in doubt about that influence, just look at product endorsement by sportspeople and other celebrities. If it didn't work it wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
Anyone who ‘chooses’ not to get vaccinated is a coward and selfish.

If you ‘choose’ not to then you must be scared of something? Therefore a coward.?

If they’re not scared then they are simply selfish. It really is as simple as that.

Vaccination is clearly leading us toward the light from the dark days of the last 18 months.
Seems like 90% of the population are willing to pull together and in the same direction only to allow a small minority to exercise their ‘rights’ of freedom of choice.

Millions of young children wear the names of their idols on their backs and the footballers talk directly to them via social media therefore they are role models to impressionable and naive young minds.

Covid really has shone a light on lots of different things over the last 18 months…

Anyone who ‘chooses’ not to get vaccinated is a coward and selfish.

If you ‘choose’ not to then you must be scared of something? Therefore a coward.?

If they’re not scared then they are simply selfish. It really is as simple as that.
In fairness it's not that long ago that most people were afraid of thunder and believed it to be a display of divine anger. Even today people who are ill-informed or poorly educated fear things the majority know to be harmless.

This is a good teaching opportunity for parents to show that such influential people should not be trusted with blind faith.

In fairness it's not that long ago that most people were afraid of thunder and believed it to be a display of divine anger. Even today people who are ill-informed or poorly educated fear things the majority know to be harmless.
Some people still think there's a magic man in the sky who made everything, I know, crazy innit?

I don't think that people who do not get vaccinated are cowards but I do think that they are selfish.
The big Irish soccer story this week was Robinson not getting the jab but I have yet to hear any other Irish player who say that they have been vaccinated, that is not sending out any positive message to anyone especially young fans.

The irony of Mr Robinson's situation is that he has had Covid twice and recovered. I don't get his "We're so fit, we don't do the vaccine" caper. I know 16 year old hurlers that are fitter than him and they've taken the vaccine. Mr Robinson is nothing short of being selfish, uncaring and irresponsible.

The irony of Mr Robinson's situation is that he has had Covid twice and recovered. I don't get his "We're so fit, we don't do the vaccine" caper. I know 16 year old hurlers that are fitter than him and they've taken the vaccine. Mr Robinson is nothing short of being selfish, uncaring and irresponsible.
That's right and he is showing the same selfish , uncaring and irresponsible to others.

I think they are stupid. There's no logical reason not to take it. People who think there are valid reasons are just wrong. And stupid.
I think they are right, I mean the modern game now rarely sees two players within 2 metres and a hint of a foul will render the player useless and will simply roll/ dive or simply run away flapping their arms in disgust crying while redoing their hair. Don't forget the socks extra protection.

It's the physios I feel sorry for, rubbing legs not injured, and the stretcher bearers.....

They do put people at risk by not being vaccinated but they need the media too.

I think they are right, I mean the modern game now rarely sees two players within 2 metres and a hint of a foul will render the player useless and will simply roll/ dive or simply run away flapping their arms in disgust crying while redoing their hair. Don't forget the socks extra protection.

It's the physios I feel sorry for, rubbing legs not injured, and the stretcher bearers.....

They do put people at risk by not being vaccinated but they need the media too.
Ah feel you're bein' terribly cynical Paul the gaffa had us re-awe-sin the national an-hem earlier and said we should ‘ave got the vax before we came out to Azer – Azer – Azer wha’ ever country we’re playin’ in and I sed to ‘im whilst tryin’ to get my lipsinkin’ lips around the song that my biggest fear as usual is we’d be miming to the wrong an-hem music. Bu’ I would like to fank my grandfaw-der for makin’ this day possible and I’m proud to represent my country although given ‘alf the chawnce I’d be wiff Garret Southgate in Spine against Andorra.

There are plenty of people who don't get their children the MMR vaccine which is probably even more stupid than not taking a Covid vaccine. And they exist in every walk of life just like people who refuse to take the covid vaccine exist in every walk of life. Nurses, Doctors, Teachers all have numbers who refused their vaccines. I don't see people here ridiculing them and they probably don't even have the guts to discuss their vaccine status in public.

But because one footballer came out and openly discussed his vaccine status, he is being ridiculed and accused of setting a bad example. Not once did he say that he didn't believe in vaccines, not once he did he share any conspiracy theory about the vaccines, not once did he say he didn't think people should get vaccinated. Instead he actually came out and said he might well get vaccinated in the future but for now he was holding off.

If people want to deal with mis-information and vaccine hesitancy then ramming opinions or jumping on top of people if they dare to even discuss a personal hesitancy is not the way to do it. Professional footballers or any other successful sports person are not thick. They have sporting abilities that only a tiny % of the population has. Anyone that makes it as a professional footballer has worked their entire lives to make it to play at elite level which something like 95% of their equally skilled teammates at schoolboy level will fail to do. They don't do that by being thick. Of course there are some footballers that are awful human beings but I have worked with a few of that type in every company that I have worked in. Difference is the sexist pig sitting beside me doesn't have his Christmas Party exploits plastered all over the Daily Mail.

And how does how Robinson speak have anything to with getting the Covid vaccine or not? Or reflect his intelligence. Marcus Rashford speaks the same way and has probably done more for children in the UK than any posh public school educated politician.

Ah feel you're bein' terribly cynical Paul the gaffa had us re-awe-sin the national an-hem earlier and said we should ‘ave got the vax before we came out to Azer – Azer – Azer wha’ ever country we’re playin’ in and I sed to ‘im whilst tryin’ to get my lipsinkin’ lips around the song that my biggest fear as usual is we’d be miming to the wrong an-hem music. Bu’ I would like to fank my grandfaw-der for makin’ this day possible and I’m proud to represent my country although given ‘alf the chawnce I’d be wiff Garret Southgate in Spine against Andorra.
And you call me cynical, in fairness Keane and Denis Irwin did a lot of good work for a lot of stuff at home too, despite the persona of Keane in particular.
Denis a fine hurler, and I had to take his legs a few times in the Tank field, that wasn't yesterday either.

Last edited:
And you call me cynical, in fairness Keane and Denis Irwin did a lot of good work for a lot of stuff at home too, despite the persona of Keane in particular.
Denis a fine hurdler, and I had to take his legs a few times in the Tank field, that wasn't yesterday either.

Actually now that you bring up the GAA, why hasn't the Tyrone football teams attitude towards vaccines garnered the same response? And their attitude wasn't unique while the Championship was being run. I don't remember seeing a thread on it. Of course a black footballer who doesn't speak 'proper' English says something that wasn't even anti-vaccine and he is accused of being too thick to understand and of endangering the young people in society....

Actually now that you bring up the GAA, why hasn't the Tyrone football teams attitude towards vaccines garnered the same response? And their attitude wasn't unique while the Championship was being run. I don't remember seeing a thread on it. Of course a black footballer who doesn't speak 'proper' English says something that wasn't even anti-vaccine and he is accused of being too thick to understand and of endangering the young people in society....
I didn't bring up the GAA, I was simply sharing a memory.

Sunny, you are overthinking this, if anyone said that they should be mandated to be vaccinated it be another row, if Robinson scores a hat trick next day out he'll be a poster boy to the unvaccinated and vaccinated.

Times have changed, Dylan said they are and he was right.

And Tyrone were/are the best team in Gaelic football globally, despite the outbreak.

Last edited:
Please note:- What I wrote above is not a quote from Mr Robinson. It could be any Irish footballer on the squad.

It's their choice the odds on them getting sick from co I'd are probably the same as them getting sick from the vaccine ,especially now that 88per fully vaccinated
Good grief!

Back