Soundproofing a bedroom

Leesider32

Hey all,

We recently moved into a semi-d built in 1981. The next door neighbour is generally very quiet however her bedroom backs on ours and we can hear her cough at night and also sometimes at the weekends she has the radio on and it is like it is in same room as us. Besides the noise there is the privacy issue, anyone know of a good method or company that do soundproofing? Only looking to do the bedroom at this stage.

Thanks

Thanks, I suppose a couple of inches, hoping that would do it. There's a place in Artane that does it might check them out.

Could you put built-in wardrobes on the adjoining wall and move the bed to the other side of the room? That would provide a modicum of sound dampening.

Could you put built-in wardrobes on the adjoining wall and move the bed to the other side of the room? That would provide a modicum of sound dampening.

Don’t do this, get the wall inspected and fixed. I have a quote for ours but did not go ahead with the work yet. 2k for one wall. There was batons, rockwool and double layer of plasterboard involved in the work. You should get any other inspections done while wall is exposed. It will be messy work so be warned.

Don’t do this, get the wall inspected and fixed. I have a quote for ours but did not go ahead with the work yet. 2k for one wall. There was batons, rockwool and double layer of plasterboard involved in the work. You should get any other inspections done while wall is exposed. It will be messy work so be warned.

Couldn't even if I wanted to do the wardrobe thing, yeah will hopefully be going about getting a quote next week or the week after. Are you in Dublin? And if you are and wouldn't mind sharing who did you get the quote from?

i also have a similar problem in my semi-d and was thinking of doing something. I think I have a cavity party wall, there are some companies what can pump Rockwool type material directly into the cavity.

Anyone experience with this??

Hey Abren, I was told this would make very little difference and that the better option is to go with the soundproofing plasterboard. Hopefully get a first step done in the next couple of weeks so will report back on how it goes!

Let us know how it goes. I think if you have draughty leaky windows sound could enter there too.

I genuinely feel you'll find it almost impossible to get the result you need by doing any of the above. Are you friendly with those next door? I ask that because both your wall and the next door one would need the remedies proposed to get a good result. I'd imagine there's only a block between the 2 houses with a bit of plaster on it.

there is a sheet you can get in Hardware providers called sound board which I have been told is very good for dampening noise between rooms. Worth checking out...you could batten wall and screw board to battens and skim the wall

Back