Sonar Gadget to discourage teenage gatherings

Armada

Hi,

A friend of mine is having trouble with teenagers gathering outside a side entrance of his business premises in a partially closed laneway during the day. They are really noisy and leaving litter and even empty vodka bottles everywhere. I vaguely remember seeing a feature on RTE news a few months ago where some premises in Galway, I think, are using a sonar type gadget which emits an annoying sound that only young people can hear.

Can anyone remember this - or even better know where to source one?
AFAIK they are completely legal.

Be careful though.

People in their 20s (and older in some cases) might be able to hear the signal and be put off going to the business.

There is also a suggestion that the use of the mosquito may be an assault and could be legally challenged.

I'm curious about this device. Is there anywhere in Dublin I can go to see one being used and experience its effects ?

Even if it was not an assault I wonder if people could object under noise pollution regulations?

I'm 30 and can hear the one outside our local Spar. Very uncomfortable when trying to use the ATM outside the shop as the mosquito unit is above it.

it's crazy there aren't any regulations for these things, imagine i didn't
get on with the neighbours beacuse their kids were driving me
mad in their back garden - fix one of these boys up and hey presto :eek:

Businesses annoyed with the behaviour of teenagers, might be better off playing classical music!

[broken link removed]

it's crazy there aren't any regulations for these things, imagine i didn't
get on with the neighbours beacuse their kids were driving me
mad in their back garden - fix one of these boys up and hey presto :eek:

Dont be getting ideas now for Halloween Night :eek:

I'm 30 and can hear the one outside our local Spar. Very uncomfortable when trying to use the ATM outside the shop as the mosquito unit is above it.

I'd like to see if they are any good . Do any spars in dublin have them ? is there one near the city centre ?

I just saw this thread...knew nothing about these devices!
At least now I know what I've been hearing (I'm 28). I genuinely had no idea what the hell it was! On the plus side at least I know I'm not going mad but the downside is Kal-El's superpowers aren't actually starting to manifest themselves...

Actually I think they use a strange device which emits a sound like a clashing bell every few minutes in Aldi .
I saw a TV programme nearly 2 years ago about it in the UK and in this show some research indicated that a sudden unexpected noise emitted every few minutes made shoplifters nervous and drove them away.

Thanks a million for all your observations...

I (inadvertently now it seems) assumed because it got airtime on the Six One News that its usage was acceptable. It also seems to be fairly expensive @ €745 plus Vat.... not sure if it is worth that to him.

Personally I feel it could cause more problems than its worth if it attracted attention. I could imagine the youths trying to look for it and dismantle it.
It also points out on the Mosquito website that it should be turned off when the gatherings disperse.

I wonder can it be heard from inside the wall of the building its mounted on?

All that said... Does anyone have any other suggestions in dealing with this problem?

Does anyone know of a location of one of these things? I'd love to see if i could hear it. Though i suppose it would just confirm my loss of youth.
sigh....

Does anyone know of a location of one of these things? I'd love to see if i could hear it. Though i suppose it would just confirm my loss of youth.
sigh....
There's an MP3 of the sound on that boards.ie thread. I presume computer audio can reproduce it accurately?

Back