Solicitors for Tracker cases

mccoypat94

Anybody have experience with solictors who are taking on tracker cases? P Kissanne is the man I know but im sure he has more than he can deal with at present , anybody else strong in this field? Even on a no win no fee basis?

I believe Anthony Joyce has a sustanstial number of tracker "victims" on his books.

Most solicitors have no understanding of the process.

The lender has an Independent Appeals Process which is free and quick and which you should use first.

If you dont' like the result you can go to the Ombudsman, which is free and quick.

But solicitors will automatically issue legal proceedings which are risky, costly and time consuming.

Brendan

Solicitors and Legals may understand contract law, and quite rightly so, but they have precious little understanding of how a mortgage works. They rely on the banks to be clear, honest and regulated for their trust on the financial workings.

The banks have been proven to be wrong on their understanding of contract law. Experience would suggest that there's every expectation they'd be wrong on the financial workings as well.

If you dont' like the result you can go to the Ombudsman, which is free and quick.

But solicitors will automatically issue legal proceedings which are risky, costly and time consuming.

Brendan

If the bank has already admitted liability, how bad can the court case go for the borrower?

Also, if the ombudsman result is not as expected there is just couple of weeks to take legal action. Who wants to fight the ombudsman in court?

Thus not an option

Therefore what you're suggesting is to accept what the system is offering

If the bank has already admitted liability, how bad can the court case go for the borrower?

Very bad. It could take a long time and the court might well decide that no further compensation beyond the amount already paid is due.

I am not saying that people should not go to court. I am saying that they should use the Independent Appeals Process first in every case. There is nothing to lose and a huge amount to gain.

If you are not happy with the Appeals Panel's decision, they you have to choose between the Ombudsman and the Court. If you go to the Ombudsman, in reality, you can't go to the court.

Brendan

How does one appeal not being included in a redress by the lender?
There's probably a misunderstanding here - you are unhappy that your mortgage has been deemed not impacted.

But as the central bank examination is not over, the ombudsman is not taking cases on that until the examination is finished .

As for going the legal route of solicitors - forget it. In a strict legal interpretation, the bank would probably win as the courts must go by that and in addition, the bank's legal team will be far far better than anything you could put together unless money was no object.

The central bank examination is really the only game in town.

Have you asked the lender to confirm that you are not included?

If they have not included you, then you can't go to their Independent Appeals Panel.

If they write to you and confirm that you are not included, you can complain about this decision to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will probably hear such complaints.

Or you can go to court, but as peemac says, the Central Bank has persuaded the lenders to go way beyond their legal obligations, so you would want to be very sure of your case, to risk going to court.

Brendan

Are there people who have gone through the appeal process who have received a better deal ?

Yes.

According to Padraic Kissane - all the customers who went through the more serious Appeals Panel in ptsb got a good settlement.

About 15% of those who went through the less serious Appeals Panel got an increased amount.

I don't have any feedback on the other banks.

AIB is settling many cases with additional compensation before they even reach the Appeals Panel.

Brendan

Thanks so much for that , I presume I should contact them prior to lodging an appeal ? Or should I appeal first ?

Suggest that, before doing anything, talk to both. See who you feel most comfortable in working with. Jim is an accountant, Anthony is a solicitor. Depending on your own circumstances you might be better with one or the other.

Have you asked the lender to confirm that you are not included?

If they have not included you, then you can't go to their Independent Appeals Panel.

If they write to you and confirm that you are not included, you can complain about this decision to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will probably hear such complaints.

Or you can go to court, but as peemac says, the Central Bank has persuaded the lenders to go way beyond their legal obligations, so you would want to be very sure of your case, to risk going to court.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

Yes I have recieved confirmation that I am not included. They told me on the phone that I can appeal. Am I just appealing to them, to throw it out again or an independant body? or do I go straight to the ombudsman?

I believe I am being left out of a cohort as KBC are using the date I began the mortgage application rather than the date I decided to proceed and accept their letter of offer. I believe this is outrageous and shouldnt stand up.

I believe I am being left out of a cohort as KBC are using the date I began the mortgage application rather than the date I decided to proceed and accept their letter of offer.

Have you received this in writing? If not, ask for it in writing.

I see no point in your taking legal action on this one on your own. There are others affected and you should get together and pool your resources.

Brendan

Have you received this in writing? If not, ask for it in writing.

I see no point in your taking legal action on this one on your own. There are others affected and you should get together and pool your resources.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan

I will call them and request it in writing now.

Back